Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Tabata

Has anyone tried Tabata workouts? I did my first one today and I have to say I'm pretty impressed!

Replies

• nplastow
    nplastow Posts: 1 Member
    I love tabata. There are some very scientific articles about the fat burning benefits of tabata vs. other cardio routines. It's all quite a bit over my head, but I still enjoy the workouts! I am glad you were impressed!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,648 Member
    I do tabata intervals on the rowing machine sometimes - warm up, the tabata intervals, finally cool down. Intense! Great for occasions when I have less time available.
  • bwonderwoman
    bwonderwoman Posts: 2 Member
    How do I log a "tabata" session (it's also called HIIT --High Intensity Interval Training) in my exercise section??
    I have started this routine on a recumbent bike --I do a five min warmup and then go into 20 secs all out - 10 secs slow/ to stop and then I repeat the session anywhere from 9 cycles to 17 cycles - I walk away from roughly 15 minutes of this routine …sweating bullets…
    Great burn! I have been doing this for only a week or so now and will work my way up to doing this more often and or longer …I look forward to reporting in because I am excited about the research that says that High Intensity workouts like this are extremely effective in "torching" the fat …
    again I would like to track not only the calories burned but my progress---I definitely struggle to get into the gym but find it worth it when finished and would be more motivated if I could track this!
    Fit Bit and My Fitness Pal programmers please update your apps to allow an easy way of logging this …or provide instruction!!! or anybody….help!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,648 Member
    I'd log a rowing machine tabata workout as "Rowing, stationary, moderate" for the warm up/cool down (or maybe "light" for the cool down depending on what I did), and "Rowing, stationary, very vigorous" for the tabata intervals. That's only going to result in something between 200-300 calories for the workout, but that's probably close to what I'd see on a HRM, or maybe a tad low. (My HRM died; if I get a new one, I'll just log what it says.) I don't see any great way to log the calorie-burn after-effects, if there are any.

I was under the impression that tabatas were more a fitness improvement thing, rather than weight loss magic . . . Tzumi Tabata's initial research showed a greater improvement in V02max and anaerobic capacity from the Tabata intervals than from an hour of steady state done the same number of days a week.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    That's only going to result in something between 200-300 calories for the workout, but that's probably close to what I'd see on a HRM, or maybe a tad low.

Probably a bit high actually. An HRM will significantly overestimate.
    I don't see any great way to log the calorie-burn after-effects, if there are any.

They're negligible, something like 6-10% of net cf 3-6% for steady state.
    I was under the impression that tabatas were more a fitness improvement thing, rather than weight loss magic . . .

It is, but lots of people on here don't really want to differentiate. It's all about calorie burn for many, and there's a lot of nonsense about HIIT on here.