Plateaus -Breaking with extra calories, but how many extra?

Options
1235»

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Tilly1285 wrote: »
    Wow, I think I'll not post any more questions here. Stirs up too much.
    I'm glad you posted the question! I thought it fostered a worthwhile discussion. I've only been truly logging my food for about 4 months, but I have learned so much from the forums, and it's posts like yours that help people like me learn more about how to maintain this lifestyle for life.

I actually did believe at one time that I needed to eat more in order to lose some weight. The only thing that accomplished was me gaining 5 more pounds lol I also thought I could continue losing by just estimating what I was eating. I read on the forums how important it could be to weigh everything, so I tried it and immediately started on a downward trend that has continued.

Please don't be afraid to post! If you are open-minded, and accepting of the fact that you don't know what you don't know, you can learn some pretty important things that will help you with your weight loss.

I am very glad that you posted this
    Lots of times we dont hear anything anymore

Even do when people start weighing their food and start losing weight...it is so important that the members see that it really is important!!

Kudos and Respect for posting here!

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Tilly1285 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone -

As the topic says, how many are too many to be used to break a plateau? What is a good rule of thumb if in fact eating extra calories is the correct way to beat a plateau?

Thanks for your input . . .
    Tilly

Plateau is another way of saying you are eating at maintenance. If you not losing weight, you don't increase your calorie intake, you try to find the errors in your intake or you lower your calorie goal.

You only increase your calorie goal if you are losing but want to lose at a slower rate, but you still have to stay in a deficit.

So if someone is eating 1200 cal/day and exercising, but not losing they are at maintenance?

No. Your hypothetical someone is eating more calories then they realize, usually by underestimating calories in and overestimating calories out.