Lots of H2O = Acne :(

Options
I was just curious, I know that water hydrates you, your organs and flushes out impurities in your body. This past week I had made a goal to drink mainly water and that's what I have been doing .... but..... there are pro's and con's to everything I guess, my question is will drinking all this water flush impurities out so much that it causes acne? I mean I'm 33 yrs old and here I have acne like I am 16 again :( grrr ... Only thing that has changed is the weather and how much water I drink. Can anyone help me out with this, I'd be ever so grateful :) Ali

Replies

• SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Not a dermatologist, but if you are drinking way more water than before it is reasonable that as your body flushes toxins some would come out through your skin - as the largest organ of the body. My best advice is use a glycolic cleanser twice a day. You should get results in a couple of days.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Always heard the opposite, drinking tons of H2O will give you clearer skin.

HOWEVER, I'm currently prescribed Spironolactone "off-label" for controlling hormonal acne and get this, it's a potassium-sparing water pill. Go fig. Doc says it flushes out the more male-type hormones that cause luteal phase acne.
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    the weather can make you sweat, which can clog your pores. make sure you are rinsing every morning and night. :)
  • Armillata
    Armillata Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Everything I've ever read says that drinking lots of water (especially if you're replacing sugary drinks like soda with water) will help clear your skin. I've always had problem skin, and it's been noticeably better since I got serious about my diet and water intake a couple months ago.
  • Tanadog
    Tanadog Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's happening to me too! I'm 35 and hardly ever have acne, but the last two weeks since I've been seriously following the program I've been breaking out like crazy! Maybe it will even out when our bodies get used to it.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    My doc told me I was getting athlete acne....so basically, all the sweat from working out was clogging my pores. Drinking more water and taking a vitamin E has helped. No more acne!
  • kacibullis
    Options
    Same thing happened to me a few years ago. My doctor told me it was the water getting rid of the toxins and just to give it a little time, keep drinking the water and it would clear up. Also don't touch your face, that slows the healing process. It worked great I now have better skin than ever and I make sure to still drink lots of water!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My oldest daughter (15) has pretty bad acne, and I keep telling her to drink water. She replies that tons of studies have shown water to have "no effect" on acne. Personally, I think it's an individual thing. Just like some people are allergic to certain things and others aren't, I think water affects each person's skin differently. I would have to wonder with the change in weather, however, if something is clogging your pores? Good luck, I know this sucks.:smile:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Along wit the EXCESSIVE Drinking of water also comes the "flushing" out of necessary Nutrients. In the long run it will be felt, for some sooner than others...the little aches and pains as well as other things. You are the only one that can determine how much water you want to drink, there is NO magic number, but I would not drink Under 4 cups - nor more than 10 per day personally.
  • outwiththeoldinwiththenew
    Options
    Always told that water will help hydrate and cause less acne, because when you are dry your skin actually produces more oil. However I have had zits at 30 like never before, I attribute it to being a woman with hormone changes daily as well as working out and sweating my butt off. Just make it a habit to wash morning and night and wash your pillow case a few times a week. Good luck keep up the water drinking..I stink at that!
  • d_smith85
    d_smith85 Posts: 94
    Options
    For me I don't think it has anything to do with the amount of water, I think it has to do with the amount of sweat. I've had good skin my entire adult life and since I've been actively working out every day my pores have become hideously clogged. I have always drank a decent amount of water. So I think for me its just the sweat, I wish I could figure out how to get rid of the blackheads! ugh.
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    i was having a problem w/pimples a couple of months ago when i first started eating right, exercising & drinking a lot of water... i couldn't understand what the problem was... & then on a similar message board someone said that exercising & getting all sweaty with make up on might be the culprit... ** and a light bulb clicked** i used to come home straight from work and exercise & get all sweaty... now, i wash my face & get the make up off before exercising & it's helped a lot!! also washing your face right after exercising is good too... so you wash off all the pore clogging sweat!! good luck to you!!
  • MaryKatU
    MaryKatU Posts: 146
    Options
    Keep drinking water, it will clear up.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Previous posts that suggest drinking more water is flushing out toxins seems a reasonable assumption to me. Keep drinking it. I'm 48 and still get the odd pimple now and then...my daughter, 20, who has mid-level acne swears by drinking several cups of Green Tea every day and applying tea tree oil. I find a daily 2-minute gentle facial massage with acne medication [spectro or something like that], followed by another 2-minute gentle massage with an oil-free moisturizer keeps the acne bug away, along with in-the-shower gentle exfoliation 2 or 3 times a week, to remove build-up and dead skin cells. A washcloth is actually 'rough' enough to do the trick.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i was having a problem w/pimples a couple of months ago when i first started eating right, exercising & drinking a lot of water... i couldn't understand what the problem was... & then on a similar message board someone said that exercising & getting all sweaty with make up on might be the culprit... ** and a light bulb clicked** i used to come home straight from work and exercise & get all sweaty... now, i wash my face & get the make up off before exercising & it's helped a lot!! also washing your face right after exercising is good too... so you wash off all the pore clogging sweat!! good luck to you!!

I absolutely second this!!! Wash your face and possibly try some anti-bacterial lotion (benzoyl peroxide gel, or something that works with your skin) immediately after exercising. I've found that my acne got a lot better when I stopped touching my face during the day, too.