discouraging results

Options
I have been successfully logging my diet results for 2 weeks now (with exercise daily) and my weight has not moved one bit. I am eating 1450 calories a day, and often under that due to the exercise. I also am eating very healthy. My current weight is 129.5, trying to lose 8-10 lbs. Any advice on this?

Replies

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Two weeks is not a lot, so be patient and keep at it... But just to be sure: do you weigh everything in grams? Do you eat back all you exercise calories? Weight loss is a simple equation: calories in vs calories out: eat at a deficit and you lose. People tend to underestimate what they eat (especially when weighing in cups and pieces) and overestimate their exercise burns (do not trust MFP or your device. Heart rate monitors for steady-state are the only things even close to accurate). Weigh and log all your food in grams on a digital scale up to your goal as set by MFP and eat back 50 to 75 percent of you exercise calories (75% for HRM) and you will lose. It's science.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I would give it another couple weeks before worrying. You could be retaining water weight from the exercise or if you're near your period (or both!).

In the meantime, I'd suggest you focus on making sure your logging is accurate. Weigh your solids and semi-solids (the medium apples I eat are generally twice the calories of what's listed in the database as medium, for example. "Medium" isn't the best descriptor) and measure your liquids, and make sure you log every single thing. One tough thing for those of us with very little to lose is that we don't have much wiggle room for mistakes.

It's very likely that after a month of tight logging and consistently eating at your calorie goal you will see results. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    lscircosta wrote: »
    I have been successfully logging my diet results for 2 weeks now (with exercise daily) and my weight has not moved one bit. I am eating 1450 calories a day, and often under that due to the exercise. I also am eating very healthy. My current weight is 129.5, trying to lose 8-10 lbs. Any advice on this?

Two weeks is not long enough to tell anything. Food type has nothing to do with weight loss, it's all about eating less calories than you burn.

How tall are you? I ask because 129.5 pounds is not very much at all.

If you are trying to lose 8-10 pound, it will come off slowly. Set your goals to lose .5 pounds a week. Anything more is too aggressive for so little to lose.

Weigh all your solid food and measure all liquids, log everything you eat and drink, log exercise calories and eat about 75% of them back to properly fuel your body, rinse and repeat.

ETA: If that is you in the photo, you don't look like you need to lose any weight. Have you thought of a body recomp instead?
  • lscircosta
    lscircosta Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! It's helpful and it's nice to hear the support from others. I figured 2 weeks wasn't long at all, but I need to be more patient and diligent about it for sure
  • Losinandmovin
    Losinandmovin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is not a lot, so be patient and keep at it... But just to be sure: do you weigh everything in grams? Do you eat back all you exercise calories? Weight loss is a simple equation: calories in vs calories out: eat at a deficit and you lose. People tend to underestimate what they eat (especially when weighing in cups and pieces) and overestimate their exercise burns (do not trust MFP or your device. Heart rate monitors for steady-state are the only things even close to accurate). Weigh and log all your food in grams on a digital scale up to your goal as set by MFP and eat back 50 to 75 percent of you exercise calories (75% for HRM) and you will lose. It's science.

What is HRM? WHY would one eat back their exercise calories? Wouldn't that deficit lead to weight loss? What are you reading and basing your advise on? I really want to lose this weight, but some of the advise I'm reading on MFP confuses me. I'm a registered nurse, and fairly intelligent, but some of the acronyms I see on here are foreign. Thank you.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    @Losinandmovin

HRM = heart rate monitor

Think they might have just asked. You shouldn't be eating ALL the exercise calories.

Also find some odd acronyms around too
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

What is HRM? WHY would one eat back their exercise calories? Wouldn't that deficit lead to weight loss? What are you reading and basing your advise on? I really want to lose this weight, but some of the advise I'm reading on MFP confuses me. I'm a registered nurse, and fairly intelligent, but some of the acronyms I see on here are foreign. Thank you.

MFP is designed so you hit a calorie defecit without purposeful exercise

Eg it takes your NEAT (BMR+ activity level) and gives you a defecit from there

Move more through purposeful exercise, burn more calories you get to eat them too (best advice is eat 50-75% as MFP exercise database and machines tend to overestimate)

HRM is heart rate monitor, only useful for steady-state cardio
    NEAT is non exercise activity thermogenesis
    BMR = basal metabolic rate
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Thanks, everyone, for the answers already :smile: I am just going to add that MyFitnessPal calculates your projected loss (so, the amount you have set to lose a week) into the net goal you recieve. It assumes that if you want to eat more, you have to move more to stay in that deficit. Makes sense, right?

Now, especially newbies have a tendency to up the cardio and decrease the food to make a bigger deficit, assuming they will lose faster--and they might! I am not gonna sit here and say that you won't lose more. It's probably not going to show up on the scale due to water weight, but they will lose more. The question is: at what price? And what are they losing?

The MyFitnessPal method (built in deficit based on your numbers, especially plus purposeful exercise) is designed to steadily lose fat and preserving as much muscle as possible. You see, there is a (science proven) limit to how much fat a body can convert into usable energy during any period of time. If you go over that limit, it turns to muscle for fuel instead. You will always get a little bit of muscle tissue loss when eating at a deficit, but if you undereat and up the cardio (or even strength training!) like I see a lot of people on here do, you are forcing your body to canibalize its muscle tissue on top of the max level of fat it can burn. Not to mention that meeting your macro and micro nutrient goals with this method is virtually impossible, creating massive hormone imbalances (leptine, for example) and vitamins and mineral deficits.

The long term effects of crash dieting and deprivation dieting (which is basically what happens when you become one of the people who net in the low hundreds to negatives day after day for an extended period of time) can be really severe. Basically, you are systematically starving yourself, after all. The results tend to be this (one example, hypothetical you):

- your body burns fat, then muscle tissue to sustain itself. You become weaker and sore. You also start having cravings because your brain is sending out warning signs: 'I am starving! Feed me!'. So, you either binge and up your overall net a little, or you persevere and pat yourself on the back for a job well done! You wanted lots of fatty food, but you fed it a celery stick instead. Sadly, your whole timeline congratulates you on your willpower. You start to wonder, though, why your willpower is not being rewarded! The scale doesn't budge! You fail to realize it's because of water weight due to too much exercise and the body's inability to recover due to a lack of nurishment. The solution is often to eat even less and work out even more to get the scale to move.

- the body is further unable to sustain. It changed the body's chemistry to preserve all it can--after all, it needs to protect vital organs from becoming affected and keep you going so you can hunt and gather for food! At this stage, the body becomes its own worst enemy: it no longer tells you you are starving so you can make a last ditch effort to get food. You think you are fine on 1000 calories a day, burning 1200, because your body shows no signs of hunger anymore, but basically, the little neutrients you are providing your body with get sucked towards your vital organs, leaving nothing for the rest. You become more tired, and cranky, and your muscles no longer recover from all the stress you put them through working out. As a result, they break down even faster and hold on to even more water to prevent that breakdown from affecting your ability to throw a spear at a prey animal (hey, I can't help it your body still thinks we are living in caves!). The scale drops oh so slowly--if at all--but meanwhile you do see you are slimming down! Your measurements are less! MyFitnessPal celebrates! 'Hurray! The weight must come off in a 'woosh' soon now! Keep doing what you are doing!'. Note that (thankfully) many people drop out at this stage. The psychological burden becomes too great, they feel *kitten*, and life isn't fun anymore. They stop dieting, start binging, and gain even more weight. The jojo'ing has begun.

- you keep doing what you were doing. We are a few months in now. You develop headaches, fatigue, and you start finding more and more hair on your pillow in the morning. In fact, you start finding hair everywhere. You also get hungry again, not in a way that makes you binge but a sort of steady nagging: a gentle reminder that time is running out. Fail to meet it (MyFitnessPal people pat your back when you tell them you went to bed early instead of having more food) and slowly, your body gives up its protective hold on more systems. You can survive without full function to certain organs, so your body throws them to the wolves: nutrients go towards your brain, heart, and lungs. Pretty much all other organs start running at half capacity. You hold on to more toxins, which start chipping away at your system, and your ability to process food (get nutrients out of them) suffers greatly, so you are truly starving now. This is the point where the weight starts coming off, and pretty quickly, too, usually. A big whoosh! (MyFitnessPal people cheer in the distance). What you are really seeing is your body giving up on protecting muscle tissue completely: the water weight falls away, showing you that you actually did lose a lot of fat and muscle tissue. More cheering! It must be working! Keep at it! Work harder! Eat less!

- now you are in serious *kitten*! Your organs are not keeping up, your muscles are breaking down, and the body has to start looking elsewhere for fuel: your organs and the more vital muscles, including your heart. At this point, your nails will become brittle and start falling out. Your hair falls out. Your period stops. You experience bouts of nausea and muscle weakness. You might find yourself pulling into a run and suddenly blacking out. You still function, but on the inside you are shutting down.

From here on out, it all depends on if you start eating again and stop exercising or not. If you don't, you can end up killing yourself. If you do, it is a long road to recovery, sometimes lasting years and it sometimes includes permanent damage to the function of certain organs, especially the liver and kidneys. Worst of all, this entire crash diet hasn't taught you how to sustain weight loss, so as soon as you crash and burn, the weight flies back on! And trust me, it takes a fraction of the time it took to lose it to gain it back.

I am not saying this to frighten you (well, I am a little), but as a nurse, you should be aware of the ramifications of crash dieting. Those of us that do realize the effects therefor recommend you lose weight slowly, at a sustainable rate that gives you the best ratio of fat loss vs. muscle loss. Stick to your MyFitnessPal calculated net, take the time, eat back your true exercise calories (which is probably 50 to 75 percent of your machine or database given calories), and learn how to eat (and what to eat) for weight loss you can maintain for years to come. It might not go as fast, but you will be able to see it on the scale, and best of all, it will be safe. That is my very long winded answer to 'why' you should eat back exercise calories.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Thanks, everyone, for the answers already :smile: I am just going to add that MyFitnessPal calculates your projected loss (so, the amount you have set to lose a week) into the net goal you recieve. It assumes that if you want to eat more, you have to move more to stay in that deficit. Makes sense, right?

Now, especially newbies have a tendency to up the cardio and decrease the food to make a bigger deficit, assuming they will lose faster--and they might! I am not gonna sit here and say that you won't lose more. It's probably not going to show up on the scale due to water weight, but they will lose more. The question is: at what price? And what are they losing?

The MyFitnessPal method (built in deficit based on your numbers, especially plus purposeful exercise) is designed to steadily lose fat and preserving as much muscle as possible. You see, there is a (science proven) limit to how much fat a body can convert into usable energy during any period of time. If you go over that limit, it turns to muscle for fuel instead. You will always get a little bit of muscle tissue loss when eating at a deficit, but if you undereat and up the cardio (or even strength training!) like I see a lot of people on here do, you are forcing your body to canibalize its muscle tissue on top of the max level of fat it can burn. Not to mention that meeting your macro and micro nutrient goals with this method is virtually impossible, creating massive hormone imbalances (leptine, for example) and vitamins and mineral deficits.

The long term effects of crash dieting and deprivation dieting (which is basically what happens when you become one of the people who net in the low hundreds to negatives day after day for an extended period of time) can be really severe. Basically, you are systematically starving yourself, after all. The results tend to be this (one example, hypothetical you):

- your body burns fat, then muscle tissue to sustain itself. You become weaker and sore. You also start having cravings because your brain is sending out warning signs: 'I am starving! Feed me!'. So, you either binge and up your overall net a little, or you persevere and pat yourself on the back for a job well done! You wanted lots of fatty food, but you fed it a celery stick instead. Sadly, your whole timeline congratulates you on your willpower. You start to wonder, though, why your willpower is not being rewarded! The scale doesn't budge! You fail to realize it's because of water weight due to too much exercise and the body's inability to recover due to a lack of nurishment. The solution is often to eat even less and work out even more to get the scale to move.

- the body is further unable to sustain. It changed the body's chemistry to preserve all it can--after all, it needs to protect vital organs from becoming affected and keep you going so you can hunt and gather for food! At this stage, the body becomes its own worst enemy: it no longer tells you you are starving so you can make a last ditch effort to get food. You think you are fine on 1000 calories a day, burning 1200, because your body shows no signs of hunger anymore, but basically, the little neutrients you are providing your body with get sucked towards your vital organs, leaving nothing for the rest. You become more tired, and cranky, and your muscles no longer recover from all the stress you put them through working out. As a result, they break down even faster and hold on to even more water to prevent that breakdown from affecting your ability to throw a spear at a prey animal (hey, I can't help it your body still thinks we are living in caves!). The scale drops oh so slowly--if at all--but meanwhile you do see you are slimming down! Your measurements are less! MyFitnessPal celebrates! 'Hurray! The weight must come off in a 'woosh' soon now! Keep doing what you are doing!'. Note that (thankfully) many people drop out at this stage. The psychological burden becomes too great, they feel *kitten*, and life isn't fun anymore. They stop dieting, start binging, and gain even more weight. The jojo'ing has begun.

- you keep doing what you were doing. We are a few months in now. You develop headaches, fatigue, and you start finding more and more hair on your pillow in the morning. In fact, you start finding hair everywhere. You also get hungry again, not in a way that makes you binge but a sort of steady nagging: a gentle reminder that time is running out. Fail to meet it (MyFitnessPal people pat your back when you tell them you went to bed early instead of having more food) and slowly, your body gives up its protective hold on more systems. You can survive without full function to certain organs, so your body throws them to the wolves: nutrients go towards your brain, heart, and lungs. Pretty much all other organs start running at half capacity. You hold on to more toxins, which start chipping away at your system, and your ability to process food (get nutrients out of them) suffers greatly, so you are truly starving now. This is the point where the weight starts coming off, and pretty quickly, too, usually. A big whoosh! (MyFitnessPal people cheer in the distance). What you are really seeing is your body giving up on protecting muscle tissue completely: the water weight falls away, showing you that you actually did lose a lot of fat and muscle tissue. More cheering! It must be working! Keep at it! Work harder! Eat less!

- now you are in serious *kitten*! Your organs are not keeping up, your muscles are breaking down, and the body has to start looking elsewhere for fuel: your organs and the more vital muscles, including your heart. At this point, your nails will become brittle and start falling out. Your hair falls out. Your period stops. You experience bouts of nausea and muscle weakness. You might find yourself pulling into a run and suddenly blacking out. You still function, but on the inside you are shutting down.

From here on out, it all depends on if you start eating again and stop exercising or not. If you don't, you can end up killing yourself. If you do, it is a long road to recovery, sometimes lasting years and it sometimes includes permanent damage to the function of certain organs, especially the liver and kidneys. Worst of all, this entire crash diet hasn't taught you how to sustain weight loss, so as soon as you crash and burn, the weight flies back on! And trust me, it takes a fraction of the time it took to lose it to gain it back.

I am not saying this to frighten you (well, I am a little), but as a nurse, you should be aware of the ramifications of crash dieting. Those of us that do realize the effects therefor recommend you lose weight slowly, at a sustainable rate that gives you the best ratio of fat loss vs. muscle loss. Stick to your MyFitnessPal calculated net, take the time, eat back your true exercise calories (which is probably 50 to 75 percent of your machine or database given calories), and learn how to eat (and what to eat) for weight loss you can maintain for years to come. It might not go as fast, but you will be able to see it on the scale, and best of all, it will be safe. That is my very long winded answer to 'why' you should eat back exercise calories.

3kzgiih5rgp0.gif
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options

All the way through this process, I've eaten back approx. 50%, sometimes up around 75%, and once in a while closer to 100% of my exercise calories. I wouldn't have stuck with it if I had not done that. Eating back those calories has given me the freedom to eat a wider variety of food and not feel deprived.

When you enter your info into MFP, and select sedentary, and select the value you want to lose each week (i.e. 0.5 kg), MFP gives you a max calorie amount to allow you to meet that goal.

Exercise burns more calories, so sure, if you didn't eat your exercise calories you might drop weight even faster. But I know I just couldn't restrict myself that much ... aside from which, I needed fuel for the exercise. Now MFP and other calculators tend to overestimate the amount we burn with exercise so that's why it's recommended that we don't eat all the exercise calories back. Just in case.

And I've lost 19 kg so far over the past 6 months, so ... it seems to be working. :)

But in answer to the OP ... it took 10 days for anything to happen at all. So you're 2 weeks in ... be patient and stick with it. :)

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

@Losinandmovin One of the main reasons I exercise is so I can eat more. It makes sticking to a diet a helluva lot easier.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I rarely read long posts

That one should be stickied !

*applauds*
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Amazing post Faithful_Chosen!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Losinandmovin
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

MFP is designed so you hit a calorie defecit without purposeful exercise

Eg it takes your NEAT (BMR+ activity level) and gives you a defecit from there

Move more through purposeful exercise, burn more calories you get to eat them too (best advice is eat 50-75% as MFP exercise database and machines tend to overestimate)

HRM is heart rate monitor, only useful for steady-state cardio
    NEAT is non exercise activity thermogenesis
    BMR = basal metabolic rate
    So helpful! Thank you for your thoughtful answer.
  • Losinandmovin
    Options

• Losinandmovin
    Options
    Hot diggdy dog! What a thorough, informative explanation. I fully understood your explanations. Fortunately, I think it's pretty impossible for me to get anywhere near starvation mode. I have 1400ish calories a day; I'm not going into muscle wasting any time in this life. But I get it. I do need to utilize those extra calories I've earned (50-75% of MFP calculation) when I've exercised. I am certainly learning how to eat better. I've added many more vegetables, and significantly decreased my intake of simple sugars and rice/pasta. Not because I'm eating low carb, but because pasta/rice takes up too damn many calories! I get to eat more when I make better choices: win-win!! Again, thank you for your time, and information.