Need help with workout plan

Options
I finally went to the gym today for the first time in years. I felt completely lost. I want to start lifting weights but have no idea where to start. I need to tone up and build muscle. Does anyone have a workout routine that they recommend?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Tone up and build muscle? Generally "toning" is just having a low enough body fat percentage so muscle is visible, of course, this requires a reduction in body fat and hence, a caloric deficit.

Gaining muscle requires a caloric surplus, and you will also gain fat too. It is inevitable.

These programs will get you started in the right direction, they all have extensive guides but I wouldn't stop there - it is very beneficial and important that you thoroughly watch/read guides on the movements;
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • StrongLifts 5x5
  • amaiyasha
    amaiyasha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym, I like to use the machines. Free weights are better, but you need to have good form, which I don't have because I'm a newbie. So I head to the newbie section where there are picture demonstrations of how the machine works and which muscles it will work. Eventually, you can use the free weights, once you have the know-how.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    amaiyasha wrote: »
    When I go to the gym, I like to use the machines. Free weights are better, but you need to have good form, which I don't have because I'm a newbie. So I head to the newbie section where there are picture demonstrations of how the machine works and which muscles it will work. Eventually, you can use the free weights, once you have the know-how.

Who's to say you can't have good form and be a newbie? The whole point is to correct your form... lol.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    amaiyasha wrote: »

But the machines don't help you learn form for using free weights.

• _sambamm
    _sambamm Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i definitely recommend doing a mix of powerlifting, olympic lifting and bodybuilding. combining all three into a program can really help build up your muscles. but remember, in order to get stronger and build muscle you must be eating in a caloric surplus.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    _sambamm wrote: »
    i definitely recommend doing a mix of powerlifting, olympic lifting and bodybuilding.

I definitely don't recommend olympic lifting for a beginner. Start with something like New Rules of Lifting for Women, or get a customized program from a good personal trainer.