Beginners Advice - Want to Start Lifting

Options
parfia
parfia Posts: 184 Member
Hello All,

I'm relatively new to MFP. I currently do a lot of cardio and bodyweight strength training and have lost nearly 30 pounds but I would like to start lifting.

Now I was previously a bit of a gym bunny before my Mommy days (and before putting on over 60 lbs whilst pregnant!!) so I know a little bit about lifting using weight machines and occasionally free weights in a gym environment, however, I don't have access or time to go the gym now and have been working out at home using Fitness Blender.

Is it possible to start lifting at home and if so, what do I need to buy - Dumbell or Barbell etc etc - any help or advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• KatieSmith08
    KatieSmith08 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Parfia! I can understand your frustration in being a mommy and not having time to do a lot gym related. My best friend is also a mommy and what she did was buy a yoga ball, stretcher bands and Dumbbells. What she'd do was wake up early and do 10-15 minutes of abs everyday on the yoga ball (every little bit helps). Then she'd go to work and at lunch time, she'd do the elliptical for 30 minutes and go back to work. At night she'd come home, make dinner and after dinner, she'd clean up first (to avoid any type of anxiety) then start to work out.
    She'd take the weekends off and spend time with her kids. I know it seems like a lot but she noticed the weight melting off after 3 weeks!!! I hope this was helpful, Hun!! Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    your requisite equipment would be highly dependent on your own programming. for example, if you truly wanted to do a traditional strength program you would ultimately need barbells and plates and bench and squat rack or a power rack as traditional strength programs work in low rep ranges at a high % of you max lift.

I guess to start out, I'd look at a program like New Rules of Lifting for Women...you could probably start with Dumbbells and there's a lot of work you can get in with dumbbells...I'm an Oly lifter and I still use dumbbells frequently for various things...the problem with dumbbells is that for many lifts, you will simply out grow the weight..squats are a good example...i don't get a whole lot out of squats using a dumbbell...but they're great for lunges and step ups.

ideally, you'd want a combination of dumbbells and barbells and plates...

you might also want to google dumbbell routines and see what you come up with there.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    There are many ways to go about it. What type of program are you looking to do, or what are your goals?

Strong Lifts 5x5, Ice Cream Sandwich 5x5, and Strong Curves are programs often recommended here for beginners. For the first two your (cheapest) best bet would be to get a standard weight bench with ~250lb of weights on craigslist for ~$200. Strong Curves I believe uses other fitness gear, but I'm not too familiar with it.

Since I've been doing SL5x5 for ~6 months now, I'm looking to upgrade from the standard set my parents bought when I was a teen to an Olympic set with a cage. I want the safety catches so I can push myself with less fear of injury. My spotters aren't strong enough if I fail with +200lb.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend that you join two MFP groups (sorry, I don't know how to paste the links while using my iPad), Strong Lifts 5x5 for Women and Women Strength Training. Lots of good information on both.

I am similar to you and I'm about to start the Strong Lifts 5x5 program.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    There are many ways to go about it. What type of program are you looking to do, or what are your goals?

Strong Lifts 5x5, Ice Cream Sandwich 5x5, and Strong Curves are programs often recommended here for beginners. For the first two your (cheapest) best bet would be to get a standard weight bench with ~250lb of weights on craigslist for ~$200. Strong Curves I believe uses other fitness gear, but I'm not too familiar with it.

Since I've been doing SL5x5 for ~6 months now, I'm looking to upgrade from the standard set my parents bought when I was a teen to an Olympic set with a cage. I want the safety catches so I can push myself with less fear of injury. My spotters aren't strong enough if I fail with +200lb.

Strong curves has 4 programs, one of those is a bodyweight program that has you use chairs/couch etc. For that program the only thing you need to buy is a swiss ball.
    As for the other programs in the book: bench, barbell + plates, bench rack, squat rack, dumbells, cable machine and other gym equipment you don't see at most basic home gyms.

You could consider doing bodyweight programs as they often don't require any equipment. Although some ask for a pull up bar.
    Programs
    - you are your own gym
    - Convict conditioning

Another option is to invest in a suspension trainer like the trx.
  • parfia
    Options
    I already do bodyweight routines I just wanted to see if I could push it a bit further with barbells and dumbells etc. I am going to have a look into strong curves.

I do cardio 5-6 times a week in the morning before the little one wakes up and the weight is coming off (30lbs so far) but I want to start building muscle too.

Thanks so much for all the advice guys :)
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'd advice you to read this as well.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10232698/muscle-gaining-misconceptions

You will not gain muscle while eating at a defecit.
  • parfia
    Options
    Thank you. Even though I won't gain muscle will lifting help with weight loss and/or toning?
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Don't assume that you won't build muscle.

As you know, eating at a caloric deficit is the only way to lose fat. But if you couple that with lifting heavy, eating sufficient protein, and getting enough rest, it is possible to also gain muscle mass while losing fat. The reason is that as a newbie lifter, your body will be at peak efficiency for protein synthesis during the first 6 to 12 months of a proper training routine.

muscleforlife.com/build-muscle-lose-fat/

• _sambamm
    _sambamm Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    if you want to do it at home i recommend dbs and olympic bb with bumper plates and collars. squat racks and deadlift platforms. also a bench press too but it will be quite expensive.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I have always worked out from home. You can do it. I started with body weight then moved in to Dumbbells and as I got stronger and grew to love weight training I invested in barbells, plates, bench and power rack.
    Starting with the Dumbbells is a good way to go because it's a much smaller investment to start with and you will still want to do some Dumbbell work even after you have a bar and plates.
    Nia Shanks has some really great dumbbell workouts for beginners. As you grow stronger and decide you want to make the bigger investment you can move on to a beginner barbell program like Stronglifts or Starting Strength.
    Good luck with whatever you decide. I love hearing about women deciding to strength train. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself.
  • parfia
    Options
    I have bought this to start with - 50kg of weight with barbell and dumbell bars:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1525144.htm

I'm very new to this but everyone's got to start somewhere I suppose :)
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Read through this thread if you want to see what lifting does for women's bodies.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1