Weight lifting need a direction

Options
Right now I am doing 30 min cardio everyday either on the eliptical, StairMaster or arc, and kinda winging it on the weight lifting. I am trying to find a routine for beginners. I understand that you need to work out different muscles each day so that there is a recovery time, but kind of lost after that. My starting weight was 214 and after 6 months my current weight is 154. My goal is to reach the 130s. The biggest thing however I am noticing is the saggy skin on my upper arms and upper legs. I can't emagine how bad it's going to be when I reach my goal. So I thought if a started a serious weight lifting routine I can fill that skin with muscle. If anyone can direct me to a website or what not that would be much appreciated :) .

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    New rules of lifting for women
    Google Jamie Easton and Michelle Lewin
  • FallynBarratt
    FallynBarratt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Perfect thanks so much for the info!
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I like strong curves. I got the book off amazon much cheaper than I could've in the store.
  • Cup_
    Cup_ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts 5x5!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Basically, the upper/lower body split is a bit outdated.
    As a beginner you can get a lot of gains in a short time by training your muscles often enough. With a full body program you will do just that, and only need to lift 3-4 days a week.
    All three those programs you got recommended, I would recommend you as well, and yes they are all full body programs.

Just so you know, if you are eating at a defecit, you will gain little to no muscle. However, you will preserve existing muscle you would otherwise lose as a natural part of weightloss. You might however start to look more fit because the fat around your existing muscle will decrease.
    I recommend you read this. Good luck on your journey.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10232698/muscle-gaining-misconceptions#latest
  • rachelbairdhall
    rachelbairdhall Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Cory gregorys squat everyday program but it's not for the faint of heart since you are literally squatting every day. One to keep in mind for when you've built up some confidence though.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I would suggest taking at look at Greg Nuckol's The Journey on strengtheory (dot) com and even if you decide to not use the programs in it, its just great information for lifters of any level.

The programs go from complete beginner to very advanced lifter and everything in between so its something that can be used for a long time.
  • FallynBarratt
    FallynBarratt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for all the information. Gives me a nice start at the very least I have more direction.
  • _sambamm
    _sambamm Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    heavy weightlifting is the way to go. do a mix of powerlifting, olympic weight lifting and bodybuilding exercises.

for example, here is one of my squat and shoulder day program:

- snatch high pull doubles (6x1, ascending weight every other set)
    - superset bb back pause squat (to 1rm, 3 sec hold) with front rack iso hold (10 sec hold)

- seated single arm db shoulder press (10.8.6.4)
    - close grip bench w/3 sec eccentric (4x3)
    - muscle snatch + oh squat (7+2, 5+2, 3+2)

- big 50 circuit (2 sets)

if you have any questions just shoot me an email.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    check out leaner thinner stronger by Mike Matthews. My girlfriend and I are following his programs and they are awesome.. We have both dropped body fat and increased strength.. He cuts through all the fad junk and just gives you basic common sense things along with a great weight program..
  • carlotta
    carlotta Posts: 46 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    can I use the jilliam michaels dvd (skipping the cardio on my no cardio days) for a weight lifting program? or is it not enough.....

ripped in 30
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    carlotta wrote: »
    can I use the jilliam michaels dvd (skipping the cardio on my no cardio days) for a weight lifting program? or is it not enough.....

ripped in 30

No enough. I believe that is basically cardio.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Let's not forget Starting Strength.

I'm using 5x5 now. I kind of skipped a beginners program and started with something else, but am using this as I'm trying to cut my last 10 pounds and needed something with less volume. It is wonderful. Highly recommend.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Whatever program you select, stick with it. Don't program hop after a few weeks, give it, IMO, at least 3 months.