What is your "reason" for losing weight?

Options
So I'm listening to this book on the brain, and he's talking about left brain & right brain. For weight loss, left brain is having a plan, how many calories you eat, how long and hard you exercise, which exercises you do. The right brain is your emotional side, the WHY you're doing what you're doing. I think this is the part that's the REALLY hard part of losing weight. If it only took a plan and adhering to the plan religiously, we'd all be pixies by now. The desire and motivation behind it are one of the big keys.

Here are a few of my why's: I want to LOVE how I feel about myself (this seems to be accomplished for me by lifting weights). I have three daughters, and I want to be a role model for them. I also want to be HERE for them. My Dad died at 44 from cancer; I don't want to die from cancer, not ever. I want to eat well enough to avoid that, if at all possible. (I know there are no guarantees, but I'm hedging my bets!). I want to shave my Iron Girl (triathlon) time down to under 2 hours this August. And finally, I want people to look at me and say, "She must be a personal trainer!" :happy:

What's YOUR why?

Replies

• mlweaver89
    mlweaver89 Posts: 35
    Options
    Because I want the crazy-awesome sex life I used to have in college!
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    My reasons are to be healthy, look better in clothes, being able to love myself, to have more confidence, more engery and to go shopping in normal stores.
  • searbear1980
    searbear1980 Posts: 110
    Options
    I am losing weight because I want to enjoy food not be a slave to it. To show my kids how to be healthy. To Show myself that I can do anything I put my mind to and stick to. To be healthier. To feel comfortable singing again. To play with my little ones while they are still little ones and be able to play with grandkids if or when I ever have them.
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    - I want to be healthy
    - I want to have energy; I have a toddler who is constantly going. I can keep up with her better now.
    - I want to wear calf-high boots. I know that sounds ridic but my calves are always too fat and I really really really think they look hawt.
    - I'm tired of my stomach spilling over my pants when I sit down. I can't even imagine sitting down and not having that.

Those are the ones I can think of at the moment.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Well for health #1, my aunt just found out the other day she has type 2 diabetes, so that makes 3 people on my dads side so far....I NEVER want to have diabetes....and #2 for vanity reasons....I wnat to shop in the "normal" sections and be able to spend 10 dollars on a cute shirt instead of 35 ...if i ever get to goal weight i swear im living in a bikini for the whole summer
  • joshholl
    joshholl Posts: 17
    Options
    My 3 reasons are
    1. I love my niece and playing with her but would have to stop all the time because i would get tired
    2. I started having heart problems at age 25, and had put it off but realized it was going to kill me soon
    3. I've finally accepted who I am and want to meet someone to spend the rest of my life with, but years of hating myself and taking out on my body took its toll
  • antonio823
    antonio823 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My reasons are for health, self confidence, and appearance...
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    health

my mother died in her 60s, 10 years ago.. directly as a result of her out of control eating causing heart and lung issues, and sleep apnea, that all together caused her death. She always acted 'helpless' to take control of her own food choices.

i am already 54.. i still miss her, and always will.. but i remain angry at her as well, as she could have chosen to get healthy and perhaps still be here with us now.
    i have no intention of causing my family this same anger or making them feel i did not care enough about them to want to be here as long as i possibly could. The longer they wait to miss me, the happier i will be *S*

i intend to be a sexy senior citizen when the time comes *S*
  • TakuraHunt
    TakuraHunt Posts: 208
    Options
    My reasons
    1. I want to feel comfortable in my own skin again...
    2. I want to be able to look in the mirror and love what I see...
    3. I want my sex life back...
    4. I am tired of wearing big clothes because I have to hide my rolls, I want to show of my curves minus the fat and flab
    5. I want love myself again
    6. I was told I wouldn't be able to acheive my goal... I have to prove them WRONG!!
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't want food to control my life. I want to treat my body as God's temple and be a good steward of what He gave me. On a more "down-to-earth' view-my father and his brothers had diabetes. I have arthritis started in my fingers and at least one hip. I don't want to coast down that road of poor health and early aging-not without a fight anyway.
    More materialistic- I want to put whatever clothes on and not worry about it "making me look fat". Since I have lost my first 30, I have much more energy, and my girls love it. Although the older one doesn't like that we are the same size now and can share a lot of clothes!!
  • msminyon
    msminyon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    All of my sisters and my mother are overweight and have bad health. I want to look in the mirror and go "damn" for a good reason and not the bad negative reason.
  • cdskates
    cdskates Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I want to live a long, healthy, productive life.
    I want to look back on all my future picture-memories and be able to say "How fun was that?!" not "Dear LORD, I looked like that?!"
    I want people to look at me and say "wow" instead of "when are you due?"
    Both my grandfathers had heart attacks very young, one of them a stroke, and both my grandmothers are borderline type 2 diabetic...I don't want that.
    I want to be able to look in the mirror and see ME, not tons of fat layered OVER me.
    I want my breasts to be bigger than my stomach -_-
    I want to be able to run and laugh and play with my future children, instead of sitting on the couch watching them.
    I want to be a role model for those future children, and not a "what not to do" example.
    I want to be happy again.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I want to recognize myself in the mirror and in photos.
    I want men to look at me and desire me because I'm sexy, not because they think I'd be desperate enough to be a sucker.
    I want to be loved and respected - which can't happen until I love and respect myself
    I want one less thing to be anxious about in my life!
  • rtierney794
    rtierney794 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Be Healthy
    Lower my Cholestoral
    Be able to play with my kids without being tired all the time
    Fit into smaller clothes
    Feel sexy for my fiance and not be afraid to show myself to him...even though he says he does not care
    Be a role model for my kids!
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I don't want any more complications from my Diabetes. I already had a heart attack at 36. That was enough for me, spank you berry much!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Why? I was fed up with carrying the extra weight after having children. Fed up with having to wonder if I was going t fit into my clothes that day, fed up with feeling sweaty in Summer. Fed up with feeling like my best years were behind me. As soon as my youngest started nursery, even though it was only one morning a week, I started running. Before that, I just didn't get a chance to exercise.
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri at age 25, which is a condition that can lead to blindness. Weight is known to be an issue when dealing with PTC, and maintaining a healthy weight helps to reduce the brain and eye pressure associated with the disease. I already suffered some permanent vision loss and distortion in my left eye, and I did not want to end up losing my sight entirely. The first doctor that I met at the hospital when I was diagnosed told me that I was doomed to live life with a shunt surgically implanted in my spine, which is known to be painful and often needs to be replaced every few years. He further went on to tell me that it was unlikely that I would ever feel any real relief from any of my related symptoms, and basically scoffed at me when I mentioned the possibility of losing weight even though it is a well known treatment method. After switching doctors and one year's time, I successfully went into remission at the beginning of this year. This whole journey has become a lot more than I ever thought it would be though, and not just about PTC - I actually want a happy, healthy, and productive life for myself.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    The more interesting question for me is, what is my reason for NOT having started this until very recently? I've been so distracted by all these non-active hobbies all my life. Some of them are more than mere hobbies; they are the passion of my life. Still, that's no excuse for not taking care of myself. Because if I don't do this now, while I'm still young, I won't be able to do THOSE when I'm older. I need my health to enjoy and live my life to the fullest.

I really didn't have a single solid reason when I first started. But now I do. I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm NOT miserable with my new, healthier lifestyle. I like the healthier food just fine. The smaller portions feel just right. The exercise isn't all that bad. And I really love that I can do all these things, like running uphill with my dog, without running out of breath.

Also importantly, I know how happy my parents are with my progress and dedication. At first, my dad was worried that I'd fall off the track, but now he's confident that I'll reach my goal. I'm hoping to inspire him that he, too, can make some changes and quit his bad addictions (cigarette being a major offender) that he really SERIOUSLY needs to quit.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My reason is completely left-brained. I must lose weight because I lost my job recently and I need to project a positive image in interviews. At my weight I will not be considered for hire - and I have a kid to support. So basically, I have until my severance runs out to get weight off of me and look presentable. No pressure!
  • GGMarie1501
    Options
    Well.. my reason is that ( pouting like a kid in their terrible 2's) I WANT MY BODY BACK!!! LOL I just had my second child in August and have gained weight and feel icky.. so not like myself. EVERYONE has noticed. It just fell right off the first time but this time I've had major life changes so not so much.. but yeah. Also, I want to feel comfortable in sexy lingerie for hubby. ;)