My arms are fat...

Options

Replies

• _bellator_
    _bellator_ Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Kimbot88 wrote: »
    I think you have a great shape - you're rocking an hour glass figure. I really wouldn't call your arms (or your legs) big.

If you want to see change, I think you'll just have to keep lowering your body fat percentage. I've found that lifting heavy weights makes a difference. What's your current routine?
    I appreciate that.. But I really really hate my body. So much.

I do a ton of squats. Usually just body weight or with 10-15 lb. hand weights. Various curls at 10-15 lbs. Tricep lifts and kick backs at 15 lbs. And some ab stuff. I probably need a better "routine."

I think you should lift more often, longer sessions, do less cardio, and eat more. 1100 calories is not going to yield you a strong, fit body.

Also, you do have an incredibly feminine hourglass shape that a lot of women would love to have. Try to start loving and appreciating your body NOW, not just for how it looks, but for all that it does for you on a daily basis, all the things that it makes possible for you, just by being a functioning, capable body. If you don't love your body NOW, you will reach your goal weight and still not love it.
  • Kimbot88
    Kimbot88 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    _bellator_ wrote: »
    I think you have a great shape - you're rocking an hour glass figure. I really wouldn't call your arms (or your legs) big.

If you want to see change, I think you'll just have to keep lowering your body fat percentage. I've found that lifting heavy weights makes a difference. What's your current routine?
    I appreciate that.. But I really really hate my body. So much.

I do a ton of squats. Usually just body weight or with 10-15 lb. hand weights. Various curls at 10-15 lbs. Tricep lifts and kick backs at 15 lbs. And some ab stuff. I probably need a better "routine."

I think you should lift more often, longer sessions, do less cardio, and eat more. 1100 calories is not going to yield you a strong, fit body.

Also, you do have an incredibly feminine hourglass shape that a lot of women would love to have. Try to start loving and appreciating your body NOW, not just for how it looks, but for all that it does for you on a daily basis, all the things that it makes possible for you, just by being a functioning, capable body. If you don't love your body NOW, you will reach your goal weight and still not love it.

What do you think a good ratio of cardio to weights is? If I did weights 3x a week and cardio 4x a week is that good? Also I would love to like my body, and I am working on it, but I have always had a negative image of myself and struggled with eating disorders (either eating too little or too much) so it's just something I really have to work on.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Can you join a gym?

If not go bodyweight

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    Or you are your own gym

Also there's issues with your logging if you believe you're eating 1100 calories with that level of activity and not losing
    Read http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • Kimbot88
    Options
    There are no issues with my logging. As I've stating many times, I weigh EVERYTHING including condiments. I log EVERYTHING including 10 calorie supplements and I will over estimate calories if I am not sure about the nutritional content of something. I'm sorry but this is very frustrating to be told that I'm logging inaccurately when I know I am not. I also mentioned above that I've struggled with eating disorders most of my life and someone very recently proposed to me that I probably damaged my metabolism by abusing my body like that and that I probably have to increase my calories. I don't want to increase my calories because I WILL gain weight on more than 1200 calories. My other thought is that something else might be out of wack as I am literally tired all the time and I have raynauds and alopecia. Regardless, I am NOT logging incorrectly.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate your calorie burns when you workout?
  • Kimbot88
    Options
    I usually let mfp estimate and then I subtract about 50-100 because I think mfp overestimates. But I rarely eat back those calories. If I do it's by accident.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    There are no issues with my logging. As I've stating many times, I weigh EVERYTHING including condiments. I log EVERYTHING including 10 calorie supplements and I will over estimate calories if I am not sure about the nutritional content of something. I'm sorry but this is very frustrating to be told that I'm logging inaccurately when I know I am not. I also mentioned above that I've struggled with eating disorders most of my life and someone very recently proposed to me that I probably damaged my metabolism by abusing my body like that and that I probably have to increase my calories. I don't want to increase my calories because I WILL gain weight on more than 1200 calories. My other thought is that something else might be out of wack as I am literally tired all the time and I have raynauds and alopecia. Regardless, I am NOT logging incorrectly.

Well I totally missed anything about you having an ED

I do not think you should be on MFP, I think you should be consulting with your medical team, looking at reverse dieting to get your nutritional levels up to a decent maintenance amount .,.under supervision with counselling

Good luck
  • Kimbot88
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I do not think you should be on MFP, I think you should be consulting with your medical team, looking at reverse dieting to get your nutritional levels up to a decent maintenance amount .,.under supervision with counselling

Good luck

I don't feel like I am as bad as I was. Other than the occasional binge. But it's frustrating because in the past I have not been able to lose weight without consuming less than 900 cals per day. I know that's bad and I am trying my best to do everything right this time. But it is so frustrating. I think I really screwed myself up from years of consuming 900-1000 a day.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    MFP does overestimate. Well, to be honest I'm truly at a loss here. My only advice to you would be to see a doctor then. Since your logging is tight and you weigh everything and tend to overestimate calories and then on top of that you underestimate workout calories and rarely eat them back yet still don't lose weight, you defy everything I know about the science of weight loss and I'm not qualified to delve any further. Since you're recovering from an ED, I second that you should not be on MFP and should be working out your goals with qualified medical professionals. I wish you the best of luck, OP.
  • rainah84
    rainah84 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    In order to build lean muscle, you need to increase your protein in small quantities throughout the day. Cardio and strength training WILL BE A WASTE if you're not eating enough protein. Plus, if you're consuming too many carbs for your body percentage, it makes you bulky. You are a beautiful girl to begin with, but to get to your goal, increasing food intake is a must.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Good luck

I don't feel like I am as bad as I was. Other than the occasional binge. But it's frustrating because in the past I have not been able to lose weight without consuming less than 900 cals per day. I know that's bad and I am trying my best to do everything right this time. But it is so frustrating. I think I really screwed myself up from years of consuming 900-1000 a day.

Your feelings don't really matter unfortunately as you clearly need help from RL professionals experienced in ED

You are stating that you are logging under the nutritionally advised minimum for a woman and not eating back your exercise calories so netting what? 600 calories? I'll repeat that I think the best advice for you is to log off MFP, see your med team and reverse diet to fix the damage you've caused
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    rainah84 wrote: »
    In order to build lean muscle, you need to increase your protein in small quantities throughout the day. Cardio and strength training WILL BE A WASTE if you're not eating enough protein. Plus, if you're consuming too many carbs for your body percentage, it makes you bulky. You are a beautiful girl to begin with, but to get to your goal, increasing food intake is a must.

The vagueness...
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    I have big arms and all the women in my family. Genetics. The only time my arms have been smaller, was when I went down to 135 lbs (i'm 5'4) on a very low calorie diet... then they were flabby because I lost it too quickly. I hated them more when they were flabby. Ugh.

I also damaged my metabolism from these very low calorie diets. So when I wanted to lose weight the "correct" way, it was like an uphill battle. I would gain weight very easily.

After years of up and downs. The best advice I can give you is... take your time. Now, I'm using IF and I'm losing very, very slowly. However, I don't feel like i'm on a diet and I feel satisfied when I finish eating each of my 2 meals per day. I also struggle to get a good amount of protien per day and I really dislike weights, but they must be done.

I think you have a Beautiful figure, I wouldn't have noticed your arms if you hadn't mentioned it. I did notice your Hour Glass figure. ;) Keep loving yourself and you will get where you want to be and have learned the proper way to maintain at a healthy weight you feel comfortable with.

Wish you the best.
  • Kimbot88
    Options

Good luck

Your feelings don't really matter unfortunately as you clearly need help from RL professionals experienced in ED

You are stating that you are logging under the nutritionally advised minimum for a woman and not eating back your exercise calories so netting what? 600 calories? I'll repeat that I think the best advice for you is to log off MFP, see your med team and reverse diet to fix the damage you've caused

You're right about seeing a doctor. I do need to do that, even if it's just to see if I've messed up my thyroid. But I like mfp because it helps me track everything (obviously). It has brought awareness to the fact that I do need more protein most days. I'm willing to bump my calories back up to 1200 at least until I see my doctor. And try to get in to see him this week.
  • Kimbot88
    Options
    spicy618 wrote: »
    I have big arms and all the women in my family. Genetics. The only time my arms have been smaller, was when I went down to 135 lbs (i'm 5'4) on a very low calorie diet... then they were flabby because I lost it too quickly. I hated them more when they were flabby. Ugh.

I also damaged my metabolism from these very low calorie diets. So when I wanted to lose weight the "correct" way, it was like an uphill battle. I would gain weight very easily.

After years of up and downs. The best advice I can give you is... take your time. Now, I'm using IF and I'm losing very, very slowly. However, I don't feel like i'm on a diet and I feel satisfied when I finish eating each of my 2 meals per day. I also struggle to get a good amount of protien per day and I really dislike weights, but they must be done.

I think you have a Beautiful figure, I wouldn't have noticed your arms if you hadn't mentioned it. I did notice your Hour Glass figure. ;) Keep loving yourself and you will get where you want to be and have learned the proper way to maintain at a healthy weight you feel comfortable with.

Wish you the best.

I appreciate it. Did you do anything specific to "repair" your metabolism?

• Kimbot88
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's insight. There are definitely some things I see that I need to adjust or work on.
  • spicy618
    edited August 2015
    Options

Wish you the best.

Yes, I have been eating at a deficit that is sustainable for me. I'm on track to lose half a pound a week. I have lost a total of 10 pounds.. wait for it.... it's taken me almost a year. I know you don't want to hear this, but I've lost 10 lbs. many times and have gained it back quickly. This time, I've not been trying as hard as I was before and It's coming off slooowly, but it's staying off. :) I'll eat anywhere from 1420, if I don't workout. If I work out, I usually eat those calories.

Yes, there are times I gain back a pound or 2, but when I look at what I've eaten and it know that I've not eaten enough to gain 2 lbs of fat. I calm down and stick with my plan and guess what? those pounds come off by the end of the week. It's so much more less stessfull this time around. Also, I'm not exercising as much as I used to, because that stressed me out too. I'll go for a walk or elliptical or stairmaster for 40 minutes. If i don't feel like working out, I don't. I'll make sure I stay within my calories those days... if I can.

You are much younger than I am, so I'm sure it won't take you as long as It did for me.. i'm perimenaupausal (sp).

Take good care of yourself.

BTW, IF is Intermittent Fasting. Go read about it, it might be something you can get into.
  • Kimbot88
    Options

Wish you the best.

Yes, I have been eating at a deficit that is sustainable for me. I'm on track to lose half a pound a week. I have lost a total of 10 pounds.. wait for it.... it's taken me almost a year. I know you don't want to hear this, but I've lost 10 lbs. many times and have gained it back quickly. This time, I've not been trying as hard as I was before and It's coming off slooowly, but it's staying off. :) I'll eat anywhere from 1420, if I don't workout. If I work out, I usually eat those calories.

Yes, there are times I gain back a pound or 2, but when I look at what I've eaten and it know that I've not eaten enough to gain 2 lbs of fat. I calm down and stick with my plan and guess what? those pounds come off by the end of the week. It's so much more less stessfull this time around. Also, I'm not exercising as much as I used to, because that stressed me out too. I'll go for a walk or elliptical or stairmaster for 40 minutes. If i don't feel like working out, I don't. I'll make sure I stay within my calories those days... if I can.

You are much younger than I am, so I'm sure it won't take you as long as It did for me.. i'm perimenaupausal (sp).

BTW, IF is Intermittent Fasting. Go read about it, it might be something you can get into.

I will look into IF. Actually it makes me feel better that it took you nearly a year to lose ten pounds. I've been consistently working at this (this time around) for about 4 months. And I am doing things right this time and trying not to starve myself like I've done in the past. I know I have a lot to learn but I am studying and asking questions so that I can understand why my body is behaving the way it is. I appreciate your insight. Thank you.
  • spicy618
    Options

Wish you the best.

I will look into IF. Actually it makes me feel better that it took you nearly a year to lose ten pounds. I've been consistently working at this (this time around) for about 4 months. And I am doing things right this time and trying not to starve myself like I've done in the past. I know I have a lot to learn but I am studying and asking questions so that I can understand why my body is behaving the way it is. I appreciate your insight. Thank you.

My pleasure. I took me way to many years to learn the little I know, by reading and asking questions. You are on the right track. ;)

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    There are so many things that don't sound right here. OP "hates" her body. She's in her 20s and says that she used to have (sounds like she still has) an ED. Her tummy is flat. She works out all the time (not sure how this is sustainable) and her arms look... well, like arms.

Am I the only one who thinks there are body dysmorphia issues here??