30 day shred for beginner?

Options
i haven't been active for over a year. I mean super inactive (almost bed rest inactive- I had a painful pregnancy then surgery), but I'm fully healed now and ready to start something that takes commitment. Is the 30 day shred something I should do now or should i do something to get my body used to working out before I start? Jillian michaels is a cold hard b****, so I don't know if her workout would be too much for me while being this out of shape.

Replies

• HazelSavacool
    HazelSavacool Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can start it now! There is a great modifier in the work out. Just go slow and do the best you can. I find her to be greatly motivating.
  • Ajirvin
    Ajirvin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Just make sure to go at your own pace. There is no sense in being so sore then next day that you don't want to work out. Also, remember that there is nothing that says you have to do it for 30 days straight. You might want to do it every other day with walking or some gentle yoga on the days in between.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    When I did it after my first pregnancy I couldn't even do some of the modifiers. Just try them and keep practicing and soon enough you'll be able to do it. Have fun!
  • kerrycullen87
    kerrycullen87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I love the 30 day shred workouts! I too have suffered since pregnancy but the modified moves are easy to do and go at your own pace and work up to doing the moves fully!
    I have sadly today realised I have put on so much weight I am about to go off and start the 30 day shred DVD again! Looking for motivation! Let me know how you get on with it
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Jillian put out a DVD called Beginner Shred (info says it's lower impact). Video clips & reviews here: https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Jillian-Michaels-Beginner-Shred-p/828.htm

and here............

http://www.collagevideo.com/products/jillian-michaels-beginner-shred
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I agree that 30 Day Shred is a good start point. Just to add a little advice, don't follow the program perfectly over 30 days. As mentioned above, just go at your own pace, not matter how long it might take to get through. For instance, it might take you up to 30 days just to feel comfortable doing one of the four workouts. So be it. Keep good form, progress to the advanced versions and add heavier weights until you get bored. Then move on to the next workout. I think that people who rush through might get injured, frustrated, or just not see the results that they hope for. You can get SO MUCH out of the 30 Day Shred if you take it slow. Personally, if you are really starting slow due to pregnancy/surgery/inactivity, I would alternate a JM workout with a sweat-breaking power walk or some other kind of cardio every other day. A short (say 30 min) but intense set of workouts every single day might really help you progress, and it is so much easier to fit into your schedule. Good luck!
  • Ajirvin
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Jillian put out a DVD called Beginner Shred (info says it's lower impact). Video clips & reviews here: https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Jillian-Michaels-Beginner-Shred-p/828.htm

and here............

Thanks so much!
  • Ajirvin
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »
    I agree that 30 Day Shred is a good start point. Just to add a little advice, don't follow the program perfectly over 30 days. As mentioned above, just go at your own pace, not matter how long it might take to get through. For instance, it might take you up to 30 days just to feel comfortable doing one of the four workouts. So be it. Keep good form, progress to the advanced versions and add heavier weights until you get bored. Then move on to the next workout. I think that people who rush through might get injured, frustrated, or just not see the results that they hope for. You can get SO MUCH out of the 30 Day Shred if you take it slow. Personally, if you are really starting slow due to pregnancy/surgery/inactivity, I would alternate a JM workout with a sweat-breaking power walk or some other kind of cardio every other day. A short (say 30 min) but intense set of workouts every single day might really help you progress, and it is so much easier to fit into your schedule. Good luck!

I've been doing a 55 minute brisk walk and jump roping. I'm going to add the 30 day shred with it.
    That's a good idea. Thank you.
  • Ajirvin
    Options
    Hello, I love the 30 day shred workouts! I too have suffered since pregnancy but the modified moves are easy to do and go at your own pace and work up to doing the moves fully!
    I have sadly today realised I have put on so much weight I am about to go off and start the 30 day shred DVD again! Looking for motivation! Let me know how you get on with it

I'll keep you updated! Friend request sent.
  • katnat12
    katnat12 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have 30 day shred and a new one called beginner shred. When I hit my highest weight ever (203) I couldn't even do the modified version of 30 day shred... So I got discouraged and was ready to give up... That's when I found beginner shred! It's for people who are 50lbs or more overweight or who are new or just starting back exercising. I bought it and have been thru 30 days of it. It has modifiers to make it more challenging if you need to. Overall I think it's a great starting point. Even the easy moves will get you sweating and working.
  • mlaphand77
    mlaphand77 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »

• mlaphand77
    mlaphand77 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have limited mobility and haven't been very active also in the past year or so. With the 30 days shred what recommendations do you suggest
  • TeaBea
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mlaphand77 wrote: »
    I have limited mobility and haven't been very active also in the past year or so. With the 30 days shred what recommendations do you suggest

The Beginner Shred DVD would spell out exact modifications. But without knowledge of what your limitations are, I wouldn't know what to suggest.

Other videos may be a good way to get started: Walk At Home videos are great: www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia
    These are low impact, you can go at your own pace

Jessica Smith has lots of low impact beginner workouts: www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhUR862hhIE
    or www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAWOKwDbHP0

"Regular" 30 Day Shred is just high impact cardio (ie: jumping jacks) mixed with strength training segments (ie: squats). This style is known as a circuit workout. Here is a low impact circuit workout by Chris Freytag: www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0C8awjNIQ
    Chris is very motivating. Maybe if you watched this video you could get modification ideas.

• NoreTil
    NoreTil Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    katnat12 wrote: »
    I have 30 day shred and a new one called beginner shred. When I hit my highest weight ever (203) I couldn't even do the modified version of 30 day shred... So I got discouraged and was ready to give up... That's when I found beginner shred! It's for people who are 50lbs or more overweight or who are new or just starting back exercising. I bought it and have been thru 30 days of it. It has modifiers to make it more challenging if you need to. Overall I think it's a great starting point. Even the easy moves will get you sweating and working.

Would you recommend this kind of workout for a person with fibromyalgia?
  • TeaBea
    edited August 2015
    Options
    NoreTil wrote: »
    katnat12 wrote: »

Would you recommend this kind of workout for a person with fibromyalgia?

I've not done Beginner Shred. The post above has 2 video clips, maybe they will give you some idea.

Some moves are:

1. Squats
    2. Lunges
    3. Pushups (the modified ones are still on the floor)
    4. Tricep Dips
    5. Planks
    6. Bridges
    7. Crunches
  • NoreTil
    NoreTil Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks a bunch
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I just started back after months off and did the alpha T25. I modified everything and after 5 weeks did it all again. Just started the next level and 30 day shred is my November workout to help with the holidays. Take it slowly and don't try to compete with the pros until you get your strength and coordination back. You'll get it all back in time, you just don't want to overdo it.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

and here............

I just started the beginner work out last week and it still kicks *kitten*. You can step up the movements and give it more oompf if you have the energy.