Sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• sunnygal1
    sunnygal1 Posts: 39
    Options
    Obviously everyone has different views. I was only repeating what I learned in a nutrition class and wanted to share how rapidly my body changed when I started focusing on sugar intake. There is a reason why MFP gives you a daily allotment of a certain amount of sugar, why would they do it otherwise? In the nutrition class, we learned to cut out most sugary fruits while trying to lose weight, and then slowly adding fruit back in once you reach your goal. I have a small serving of fruit in the mornings--usually a half of a cup of frozen berries mixed in with a protein shake. I eat a lot of veggies! I lost 20 pounds in 10 weeks. I weigh 154 pounds and I'm over 6 feet tall so the weight loss was pretty significant. As a bonus, my skin is clearer, I don't have as many cravings, and I'm much fuller throughout the day. I do like what someone said as far as finding what works for you and sticking to it. But if you find that you are working out a lot, staying within your calorie intake, and still not losing weight, I would suggest trying to cut out some sugar. The key word is suggest.
  • bluellies
    bluellies Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't watch them. I'll take a look and see every now and then, but 9 times out of 10 when I'm over it's because of milk. How crazy is it that there are studies linking 24oz of skim milk a day to weight loss, but that puts you at 33 grams of sugar? My sugar limit is 24, so I'd be over every day if I did that.

There are so many different theories about losing weight, and people are quite vocal over their preferred choice, myself included (I'm an input/output sort of girl), but I also believe the proof is in the pudding. If you lose weight, and are able to maintain it, then it worked for you :)

The "proof in the pudding" due to personal experience should not be translated to weight loss or nutrition. Simply put, causation does not imply correlation.

The one and only thing that determines long term weight loss is your calorie intake.

Milk/dairy products contain lactose, a disaccharide, which is a sugar.

Wow, where did this bit of nastiness come from?

Never once said that losing weight HAS to be a byproduct of drinking 3 glasses of milk if you so chose to (if you want to get technical, I should have said suggest, instead of linking), and if one has lost and maintained weight, how is the route one took to achieve this irrelevant? Again, I'm not stating that a MUST have caused b, simply saying that the sum of what one has done to lose the weight worked. I'm also confused on why you chose to explain that lactose is a sugar. I'm well aware of that, didn't dispute it. Also, I happen to agree with you on the input/output of cals, but I never once mentioned this either.

I generally don't make blanket statements of my opinions as facts--there are many varying views on how to lose weight, many different ways that people lose and maintain that weight, and I don't profess to have all of the answers, or even that mine are correct. I simply share my opinions, what has worked for me, and let others make their own decisions as they may.
  • missxchelly
    missxchelly Posts: 180
    Options
    Well it's stupid to think that anyone should be afraid of milk or fruit because of the sugar content. You need those things in your diet to stay healthy. I'd hate to see someone stop eating fruit because it went over their daily sugars. This site will still help you lose weight. With the caloric intake and exercise you will be fine!
  • DawnCallas
    DawnCallas Posts: 68
    Options
    Thank you guys! All of my sugar comes from fruit and such. I am not a big sweet eater so no worries there! Thanks for all of the thoughts and opinnions! They have helped alot!
  • jenrobyoung
    Options
    Sugars from fruits are not as bad as some other sugars because fruit also tends to have fiber in it as well to help process it. You have to watch for the hidden sugar in products you don't expect to see it in. Common items like catch up, granola bars, yogert, salad dressing all have bad sugars in them (generally speaking). These sugars can help encourage cravings and munchies so watch out! Natural sugars from fruit however, after you eat so much your body will tell you to stop.
  • cmg2008
    cmg2008 Posts: 139
    Options
    bump. I want to be able to come back to this later.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    To the person who said that watching sugar from milk and fruit is silly, some of us have to. If you are diabetic or prediabetic you should be watching them very carefully.

Milk sugar is one of the worst for me personally. I'm currently still over on fat intake but once I get it figured out I may be switching to whole milk for my coffee/tea as the fat helps the glucose uptake more slowly into your system.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    To the person who said that watching sugar from milk and fruit is silly, some of us have to. If you are diabetic or prediabetic you should be watching them very carefully.

Milk sugar is one of the worst for me personally. I'm currently still over on fat intake but once I get it figured out I may be switching to whole milk for my coffee/tea as the fat helps the glucose uptake more slowly into your system.

Yes, sugar intake for someone with a metabolic disorder is a completely different story.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    everyone's body is different, what works for one does not always work for another. I