Does anyone here love toasted sandwiches?

Options

Replies

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I still eat grilled cheese, but I only add cheese. Maybe that's why mine is not a calorie bomb I don't know. I did make one with bacon last week I guess. I use my grass fed butter, use a tablespoon on the bread ( I don't use reduced calorie bread), a couple of pieces of cheese and grill it. It's 390 calories unless I use less butter or one less slice of cheese, depends on how many calories I have left. Really good with some tomato soup. :) I actually ate this last week for supper 3 or 4 days, because it's cold here. Comfort food for me when it's cold.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    We're big fans of toasties without cheese in our house - I like fried egg and veggies with a bit of BBQ sauce or pesto. Yum.
    I grew up with the cheese toasties that my granddad used to make, they were amazing. I don't like melted cheese at all as an adult though, it's funny.

My 4 year old? She likes me to grill onions with garlic, pop them in two slices of bread with big dollops of hummus, and grill that. :s
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    I still eat grilled cheese, but I only add cheese. Maybe that's why mine is not a calorie bomb I don't know.

That's weird, the main difference between mine and yours is that mine has tomato, and I don't think tomatoes have a lot of calories. I do cover the whole piece of bread with cheese though, so that is what, two slices?

I didn't actually calculate how many calories it was, I saw something on sparkpeople
  • xstephnz
    Options
    icck wrote: »
    My 4 year old? She likes me to grill onions with garlic, pop them in two slices of bread with big dollops of hummus, and grill that. :s

Mmm, that sounds nice, smart girl!
  • xstephnz
    Options
    I've started having grilled cheese/toasties with tomato, ham and cheese (and sometimes onion chutney), with a small bit of butter and a lower calorie bread. It isn't as bad as I originally thought. Guess they are coming out with better food alternatives these days.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    I love toasted sandwiches with tomato and cheese. They are a guilty pleasure of mine, but at 500 calories a pop, I can't have them that often (I would usually have two at a time).

I have these all the time (but one per meal). In all honesty the sandwiches I make are not your typical cheesy-gooey kind but the flavor is still there. Here's how I do it.
    180 cal - 2 slices of bread
    140 cal - 34 grams of Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese (pre-sliced)
    8 cal - 2 x 1/4" tomato slices
    50 cal - butter - I take the stick and swipe it over the griddle quickly and plop the sandwich down on the butter. Grill and repeat.
    378 total calories give or take.

Optional -
    35 calories - 1 Tablespoon of Kirkland 100% Bacon Bits

• coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    oh yah, I love cheese tomato w pepper on top, ham, fried in butter, the works. Drooling now.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    We frequently have them as breakfast on the go on weekends, beats stopping by the McDonald's drive-thru. I don't butter my bread and I weigh out my cheese, and I buy sandwich sliced bread instead of toast. We also use a really bitey cheddar, so you get more flavour for a smaller amount. I also like ham and laughing cow cheese toasties.

My other favourite combo is tuna, corn and cheese.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Try just skipping the butter, or adding a tiny bit, and go for low fat cheese. Make it a meal with a big salad, so you will not feel the need to eat a second or a third.
    Grilled sandwiches, with two slices of bread, low fat cheese and sometimes turkey, plus whatever else I have available (tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers etc) are my go to lunch when I have no dinner leftovers, so several times per week. It is around 300 calories.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Sounds really good, but that's too much calories for me. My favourte toast is: wholewheat bread slices x2 (140 cals) + turkey breast fillet x2 (40 cals) + light cheddar cheese slices x 2 (80 cals) = 260 calories, and it's delicious! I don't add butter or anything like that, just maybe some cucumber on the side. It's almost half of the calories, just try it, you won't regret it! I promise
  • spanderholic
    spanderholic Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The budget brand bread is much lower cal than say Freyas or Ploughmans, so you could look into using that for the bread component. Love a good toastie. Baked beans and cheese mmmm. Or spaghetti and cheese! Creamed corn and cheese is great too... basically anything with cheese! I haven't seen the butter spray that was talked about above, so I reckon you will either have to use less or just deal with having the cals. A toastie isn't the same without the butter.
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm I love cheese toasties. Have you tried toastie bags? You make them in the toaster so dont need all the butter which is needed for sandwich maker. Doesn't save a huge amount of calories but is better then nothing, also bags are much easier to clean than the sandwich toaster

http://www.amazon.co.uk/REUSABLE-TOASTABAGS-sandwich-toaster-toastie/dp/B001WN60VM
  • xstephnz
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    But if you want that crunchy toastedness that butter gives the bread then you could also take a little bit of the cheese (shredded) and sprinkle the outside of the sandwich with it and caramelize/crisp up the cheese to get that same effect. (look up "inside-out grilled cheese" if I'm not explaining the idea very well)

I didn't worry about calories today. I used cheese on the inside AND outside of the sandwich, and surprisingly, it didn't stick to the sandwich press. I used had tomato and sundried tomato relish and some butter on the outside.

I liked that the outside was crunchy. It wasn't really worth the calories for me. While it was cooking it smelt amazing, and then I looked at it and I thought it looked really nice, I was excited to eat it. I didn't really taste much of a difference though. I took a picture for you:

19vixiiksdnw.jpg

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Sounds really good, but that's too much calories for me. My favourte toast is: wholewheat bread slices x2 (140 cals) + turkey breast fillet x2 (40 cals) + light cheddar cheese slices x 2 (80 cals) = 260 calories, and it's delicious! I don't add butter or anything like that, just maybe some cucumber on the side. It's almost half of the calories, just try it, you won't regret it! I promise

Yeah I'm with you, I dont need butter and less calories than a slice of pizza
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    I have them all the time and they fit within my calories just fine. And I use normal bread, butter, and real cheese. So not sure where the issue is. Sometimes I add meat or vegetables to mine. It's awesome. Usually I have them with some fruit, or cut up vegetables and dip, or chips... just depends on what I feel like.

Then again, I don't believe I need to eat some tiny amount of calories so it's easier to fit in what I want.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    I have them all the time and they fit within my calories just fine. And I use normal bread, butter, and real cheese. So not sure where the issue is. Sometimes I add meat or vegetables to mine. It's awesome. Usually I have them with some fruit, or cut up vegetables and dip, or chips... just depends on what I feel like.

Then again, I don't believe I need to eat some tiny amount of calories so it's easier to fit in what I want.

Well I don't know about other people, but for me they don't fill me up at all, so that's my issue. I wish I could be full on a 300/400 calories sandwich but that just doesn't happen. Heck even if I make a 600/800 calories one I'm hungry 2 or 3 hours later. It sucks!
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have to eat things like that on big cardio burn days and have a half sammich

I love grilled grains and the smell of toast. It just has that good food smell

I also use butter flavored non stick spray and Ezekiel bread with oven gold turkey and low fat Swiss cheese
    It isn't a calorie disaster.

But it sure is good!

If I can have a treat I really really love, and do a half hour on the bike to burn it off, I call that a win!

Sometimes I just need what I want!! I don't see how some never have a moderate portion of treat food. But that is just me.

Early on I didn't do much of that, but now I use exercise to give myself some caloric room.

• markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    A "patty melt", toasted rye with a hamburger in the middle, with melted swiss cheese and grilled onions.

Since it's a burger, one could remove the onions and cheese, instead add peanut butter, aka "goober burger".
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have toasted sandwiches bread 180 calls cheese 80 calls for half fat cheese? Clover lighter than light 40 calls total 300cals
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »

Well I don't know about other people, but for me they don't fill me up at all, so that's my issue. I wish I could be full on a 300/400 calories sandwich but that just doesn't happen. Heck even if I make a 600/800 calories one I'm hungry 2 or 3 hours later. It sucks!

can you go 2-3 hours on a 300/400 calorie sandwich?