veggie help?

Options
So, I have a bad habit of just eating frozen dinners. Quick and easy and I know how many calories are in them. I'm not a bad cook, I just hardly know any recipies, and end up cooking the same things over and over again. That said, there is something about my diet I want to switch around a bit. I want to take out some carbs from breads and pastas, and add more veggies. Going not full on with the whole primal diet, but more in that direction, and herein lies my issue.

In my frozen dinner meals, that are low calorie, the veggies are always fantastic. They are seasoned with something, or in some tiny little bit of some sort of sauce. I can never get my veggies to taste like this, and I'm not quite sure what to do besides add some sort of tablespoon of a sauce that is very low calorie...I just don't know any. SO, if you have any suggestions that would be awesome! Thank you:)

Replies

• ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    I love minced ginger! It comes in a tube at safeway in their produce area...there are a ton of ready use herbs and stuff there and they last forever. I also pad thai sauce and of course garlic...~Corina
  • tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    There is a seasoning called "salad Supreme" that is excellent on veggies. I use it all the time on steamed veggies.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Kraft has a Zesty Italian Free that is tastey, might try that on veggies, just add into your log as well.
  • barbiegirluk
    barbiegirluk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well, I am vegetarian Indian, so we put spices in our food. Spices doesn't always means chilli. You can heat a tsp of low cal oil and add some cumin seeds/mustard seeds, let them pop and add your boiled/steamed veggies in it. It will taste amazing and doesn't involve much preparation. Bit more elaborate and you can add turmeric, chilli, cumin powder, coriander powder or hers like cilantro, parsley, thyme, dill, chive which enhance the flavour as well.
    Sorry if you are not into Indian food, otherwise hope this helps.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sounds strange, but we steam our veggies and then sprinkle 'Molly McButter' on them. Gives them a buttery flavor w/o any calories. Also, on brussel sprouts, also add a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese. Or, there is also stir fried in a touch of olive oil and garlic.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I would actually read the labels of the frozen dinners you love so much and see what THEY are putting on the veggies.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Well, I am vegetarian Indian, so we put spices in our food. Spices doesn't always means chilli. You can heat a tsp of low cal oil and add some cumin seeds/mustard seeds, let them pop and add your boiled/steamed veggies in it. It will taste amazing and doesn't involve much preparation. Bit more elaborate and you can add turmeric, chilli, cumin powder, coriander powder or hers like cilantro, parsley, thyme, dill, chive which enhance the flavour as well.
    Sorry if you are not into Indian food, otherwise hope this helps.

This.
    parsely "brightens" the taste of things to it.
    I also love garlic, cinnamon, lemon, lime

Do bother with mixes, but your own spices and experiment. Some spices are better with toasted a bit before added. Balsamic vinegar,Lemon and lime are great squeezed over just before eating. Some veg is great roasted in the oven with a bit of olive oil.

A good foodie site that explains thing easily is

http://www.MarcusSamuelsson.com

Those frozen dinners are likely full of sodium and sugar, that's a lot of what makes processed food taste good.
  • filledwithlove
    Options
    I think i add Kraft light zesty italian to everything veggie wise. I typically roast my veggies, so i toss them in light zesty italian, lemon juice or lime juice depending on what it is, lemon pepper seasoning, minced ginger garlic and onions, and then toss them in that and roast them in the oven. I think i bought all the spices on the spice rack at the grocery store and i just play with them taste wise, and that helps add extra flavor with the dressing. Good luck! :)
  • katharine1229
    Options
    thank you all lots of stuff to try :)