Eating out all the time!

Options
Hi everyone! I'm pleased that I could gain knowledge from you guys here.. My question is, I stay in Malaysia, which foods are always oily I believe, and my family always eat outside because we rarely cook. Are there any tips that I could choose better healthy options when eating outside?

Replies

• EuniceTHQ
    EuniceTHQ Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    you mean which fast foods are healthy? = none
    food places want to make food taste good so you keep coming back. they don't care about your health
    tell your family to grill some chicken breasts with a side of veggies

Thanks for you recommendation. :)
    I don't mean fast foods, I mean restaurants, such as Japanese restaurants that sell ramen, Chinese restaurants that they have many types of dishes.. I would be happy if my family want to eat at home, but due to their working time and my college time, it would be difficult which resulting us eating out most of the time.

• Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Avoid anything in tempura or that's been fried. Try and go for more high protein/low carb options. I know it's hard, but try and limit how much rice you have, and if they have the option go for wholegrain rice when you can.

Sashimi is a good option at a Japanese place as you're just getting the protein. I don't have a good suggestion for a Chinese though!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Bacchants wrote: »
    Avoid anything in tempura or that's been fried. Try and go for more high protein/low carb options. I know it's hard, but try and limit how much rice you have, and if they have the option go for wholegrain rice when you can.

Sashimi is a good option at a Japanese place as you're just getting the protein. I don't have a good suggestion for a Chinese though!

Why limit carbs?
  • EuniceTHQ
    Options
    Bacchants wrote: »

Thanks for your recommendation. :) I don't always eat rice, and this always leads me to a problem of overeating.
  • robandchelle
    robandchelle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's really hard when you have no idea how something is cooked. In that case, be mindful of portion sizes. You can eat very rich foods, so long as you eat only a small portion. If that doesn't work for you, then eat the vegetables (not fried) and the meat (not fried), and keep your bread/rice consumption fairly small.
  • EuniceTHQ
    Options
    It's really hard when you have no idea how something is cooked. In that case, be mindful of portion sizes. You can eat very rich foods, so long as you eat only a small portion. If that doesn't work for you, then eat the vegetables (not fried) and the meat (not fried), and keep your bread/rice consumption fairly small.

Thank you for your recommendation. :) but you know, people always love eating... Can't resist.. Haha.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    EuniceTHQ wrote: »
    food places want to make food taste good so you keep coming back. they don't care about your health

I don't mean fast foods, I mean restaurants, such as Japanese restaurants that sell ramen, Chinese restaurants that they have many types of dishes.. I would be happy if my family want to eat at home, but due to their working time and my college time, it would be difficult which resulting us eating out most of the time.

I still don't get this. I know people who eat out all the time too because they are 'so busy', but if I grocery shop once a week (which people who eat out still have to do anyway), it still takes me less time to cook a meal than to go to the restaurant, wait for my food, eat, wait for the bill, and drive home.

I don't know at all the type of food cooked there though so I'm not going to be much help.
  • EuniceTHQ
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    EuniceTHQ wrote: »

I still don't get this. I know people who eat out all the time too because they are 'so busy', but if I grocery shop once a week (which people who eat out still have to do anyway), it still takes me less time to cook a meal than to go to the restaurant, wait for my food, eat, wait for the bill, and drive home.

I don't know at all the type of food cooked there though so I'm not going to be much help.

It's alright. Still thankful for spending your precious time here. :) I would cook at home if I have all the groceries, such as vege and chicken breast or whatever thing.. The problem is that I don't have. My mum doesn't want to stock up because she said they may gone not fresh as we seldom cook and those I want to eat, my family doesn't like, especially my brother. I prefer western style, like a plate with carbs, protein and vege; the so-called balanced plate. Whereas my parents are not used too, they prefer more on Chinese style. Also, my dad is good in cooking, which is also a problem because he wants the taste to be good and I'm always the one who afraid that the food would be high in fats. That's why I would prefer eating outside, if not I would like to cook myself.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    Can you just cook for yourself then? I only ask because you said you like to cook.