Is beer while calorie counting okay?

Options
Hi i am trying to lose weight by staying under my calorie limit and am doing well but I like to drink sometimes on the weekends 5-10 beers , will it make me gain weight instead of losing??

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Just log them.

You can then decide if you want to keep consuming 5 or 10.

Either is fine by me, just make sure you can fit it into your weight loss plan.

Cheers, h.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    You may want to pre-log those beers. After beer #5 you'll probably lose count...
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    If you can fit them in yes.... But 10 beers can be 1200 calories... I switched to tequila personally.
  • WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to tell you that it's all about calories in vs. calories out, and they are right. If you are able to factor the calories for your beer into your weekend calorie goals, and still come in on target, you are fine with respect to calories. But if you are blowing past your calorie limt every weekend, you will definitely affect your weight loss. Beer isn't called "liquid bread" for nothing - it can have a lot of calories. See if you can find the calories for the brand(s) you drink, and prelog for the weekend. That may help you curb the urge to have another. I have a beer on occasion when I have the extra calories, and I can fit it in. You are likely going to find that drinking 5-10 per weekend isn't going to work though.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    If you log it and it fits within your calories fine. I still drink wine but less and I do lose faster when I'm not having any. Plus it's a few hundred calories I could eat instead. I have been known to go for a run purely to free up calories for wine. (Not sorry.)
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    The textbook answer will be if you can fit it in your daily limit..go for it. 10 beers is quite a bit though, for anyone and that does not leave much room for much else.
    Blowing your limit once in awhile is not a big problem, but if you are not progressing this is definitely something you should look at eliminating.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of calories. I like to drink an ounce of whiskey most nights. Sometimes I'll substitute a cider. I RARELY have more than one of either, because the calories are so high. If you can fit them in, go for it. I would personally rather have more food each week, and less alcohol, but to each their own! :)
  • bux666
    bux666 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yup I drink 3 times a week normally. Have for years and just try to fit it in with my calorie allowance. Some days I am over, some under. Its all balance and after all we only have one life so drink and be merry!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Log your beers - if you're still at a deficit, by all means continue drinking them! :)
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If you can fit them in yes.... But 10 beers can be 1200 calories... I switched to tequila personally.

10 beers can be 1200 calories only if he is drinking weak beer, not more than 4% alcohol. It can easily be double that.
  • MissAbbee
    MissAbbee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's not the beers (or vodka) that scupper me, it's the McDonalds I eat when I'm drunk!!
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of calories but if you're willing to go without food in order to drink that much to stay within your daily calorie limit, then do it. I still drink beer and lose weight but I limit myself.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer to eat my calories as I get far more enjoyment out of food than drink (I've never been a drinker) - but each to their own. As long as you're in your deficit, you'll lose weight :) Enjoy your beers!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Like others have mentioned 10 beers equals a lot of calories (for what it is). I generally drink 2, but I choose a higher ABV (like 7%). Yeah, each beer is maybe 200+ cals, but that's 400+ cals (for better, tastier, stronger beer). I just log the beers ahead of time too. Keeps me from having a third.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd rather eat the calories than drink them so I only have water and tea, alcohol maybe twice a year for a special occasion. My vice is needing something sweet after a meal. If you can't go without then fit it into to your weekly allowance.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight in a calorie deficit. You will gain weight in a calorie surplus.

How you go about attaining either is up to you.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I went out recently and had a couple of blue moons. love them. but eek! 200 calories each...next time I went out I had a corona light. lol. only 99 calories in that bad boy.

• lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    10 beers is an awful lot of calories. You would have to really restrict what you eat for the rest of the day. I think it's more efficient in terms of calories to drink hard liquor... you get more bang for your calorie buck if you just have it straight or on the rocks.
  • calihoya
    calihoya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Agree with what's been said here. I drink beer and I log it, but I try not to have too much because I like imperial stouts and they have a TON of calories because they are higher alcohol. If you can't find the beer you're drinking in the database add it from the estimate at ratebeer.com. Just keep in mind that these are estimates so you may want to leave yourself some wiggle room.
  • timdeeseven
    timdeeseven Posts: 11 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Switch to something lo cal like vodka and diet 7 up, bacardi and diet coke, vodka and lo cal cranberry.
    Half the cals of a beer.

Ha just realized my avatar is Corona....ah oh well.