gaining??

Options
Apparently im doing something wrong. Instead of losing im gaining.

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

Not enough info. Over what period of time? If this is something other than normal weight fluctuation then you are either not burning as many calories as you think you are, you are eating more calories than you think you are, or both. It's that simple.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Short term (over a few days); it's likely water weight from sodium. TOM, or food still in your system, or just random fluctuations.

Long term, (over a few weeks), it's likely you're underestimating how much you eat and/or overestimating how much you burn and you are in a surplus.

Short term, don't worry about, it tends to drop again (as long as you are logging accurately).

Longer term, examine your diary and logging methods. Are you weighing your food and using correct entries? Are you overestimating your exercise and eating back more calories as a result?
  • alt5057
    alt5057 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale? I found I was underestimating what I was eating just by measuring cups.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Short term (over a few days); it's likely water weight from sodium. TOM, or food still in your system, or just random fluctuations.

Long term, (over a few weeks), it's likely you're underestimating how much you eat and/or overestimating how much you burn and you are in a surplus.

Short term, don't worry about, it tends to drop again (as long as you are logging accurately).

Longer term, examine your diary and logging methods. Are you weighing your food and using correct entries? Are you overestimating your exercise and eating back more calories as a result?

^^ cosigned
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Good for you.
  • jnm14
    jnm14 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also gained... 3 years ago I used this app to lose weight and I had lost 25-30 pounds!! I just recently started it up again (I gained most of that back in the last 3 years) and the app is a little different. It now adds in calories I can eat for the steps that I take throughout the day. I've been following the plan most days (a few days I fell off and didn't count/we went out to eat or for drinks) but overall, I stayed with it for most of the week. After about 3 weeks I checked my weight and it said I had gained 3 pounds!! I am supposed to lose a pound a week, not gain. I know I wasn't perfect every day, but with being good most of the days, I figured I should still end up losing something, not gaining... Anyone have tips for me?
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    jnm14 wrote: »
    I also gained... 3 years ago I used this app to lose weight and I had lost 25-30 pounds!! I just recently started it up again (I gained most of that back in the last 3 years) and the app is a little different. It now adds in calories I can eat for the steps that I take throughout the day. I've been following the plan most days (a few days I fell off and didn't count/we went out to eat or for drinks) but overall, I stayed with it for most of the week. After about 3 weeks I checked my weight and it said I had gained 3 pounds!! I am supposed to lose a pound a week, not gain. I know I wasn't perfect every day, but with being good most of the days, I figured I should still end up losing something, not gaining... Anyone have tips for me?

Right there. Espcially if you drink mixed drinks. Alcohol, on average, has 7 kcals/gram almost as much as fat. 1.5 oz of 80-proof alcohol is near 100 kcals w/o mixers.

OP......Without having, really, any info the only reasonable suggestions I can give is food diary error, weighing error or just plain patience.

Diary error:
    Are you using a food scale and weighing all solid & semi-solid foods in grams?
    Are you counting most condiments and drinks?
    Are you logging better than 90% of the time. (assume 35 meals/week, you log 32 or more)

Weighing (scale) error
    Are you weighing yourself at the same time of day, similar clothing and scale in same place?
    Are you weighing the day after intense exercise or "cheat meal"?
    Do you take measurement?
    How are your clothes fitting?

Patience:
    How long have you been accurately weighing, eating and logging food?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

@carriedowns People here would love to help you figure out what's going on, but more information really would help. Any chance you can pop back into the thread and help us out?