Would you move to the Caribbean?

Options
KeepGoinGirl
KeepGoinGirl Posts: 60 Member
Does anyone else watch those shows on HGTV; Caribbean Life, Beachfront Bargain Hunt, Half-Price Paradise, etc...

Basically it is about people who decide to leave their current lifestyle (usually a suburban or metropolitan US city) and move to Mexico or the Caribbean where they say it is more affordable and a less stressful lifestyle, and they search for homes there. It looks awesome on the show, but I don't know if I'd be okay being that far from my family. Plus living in a foreign country, and how to find a job there? Would it really be affordable?

So my question is, would you do it or do you think these people are crazy?

Replies

• sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    I don't think they are crazy at all. And I would do it if not means for a happier, longer life :)
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    warnerlm wrote: »
    Does anyone else watch those shows on HGTV; Caribbean Life, Beachfront Bargain Hunt, Half-Price Paradise, etc...

Basically it is about people who decide to leave their current lifestyle (usually a suburban or metropolitan US city) and move to Mexico or the Caribbean where they say it is more affordable and a less stressful lifestyle, and they search for homes there. It looks awesome on the show, but I don't know if I'd be okay being that far from my family. Plus living in a foreign country, and how to find a job there? Would it really be affordable?

I DVR those programs. One day my future husband and I will be living on the beach on one of those islands.

We're already engaged. :)

However, I have family in Dominican Republic and he's retired from the Air Force, therefore, he has no fear of far away lands. ;)
  • The_Invisible_Boy
    The_Invisible_Boy Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've considered walking away from my current life several times. It's definitely appealing. I've been looking hard at Ecuador. I'm definitely considering moving there after I retire if not before!!!
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Give me another 5 years to retire and I'm all over that!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    warnerlm wrote: »

As much as I COULD do it, I wouldn't. I love spending the majority of my time away from people outdoors, but there are times I love hitting the town. That secluded lifestyle doesn't allow that as readily as I would like.

• emmagrace0818
    emmagrace0818 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes please as long as I can bring my parents :)
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've lived in the Caribbean and while it would make for a sweet vacation, I wouldn't live there permanently. Mostly because there are less opportunities for the kids, the countries are typically poorer and less developed - few good schools and colleges except for 1 or 2 exceptions, I have no family there, I might get homesick and everything that needs to imported (90% of stuff) is actually more expensive. Also sometimes the political situation might affect you depending on the country, and lastly you will most likely be seen as an outsider for a good many years.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I'd do it
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I could always come back to visit if I really wanted to.
  • heidio2
    heidio2 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Already planning it. I went to a small island in Belize in January 2014 and actually cried when I left. I fell in love with the people. Their way of life, everything. I've been back twice since. Have made good friends there and try to learn everything I can about the realities of living there. You have to do things their way and you always have to "know someone" to get anything done.
  • jennmpantoja
    jennmpantoja Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I'd do it for a vacation spot. Since I'm not much of a sun type person I'm good with simple, cool weather just not freezing my butt off! Lol!!
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to do or go somewhere else. If you do, have fun!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes.