20 pounds in 4 months?

Options
So I just set the goal of reaching 120 lbs by Christmas this year. I am currently at 138 (and I am 5'5) so that is about 20 lbs in four months. Is this goal attainable? What exactly should I do to reach it? Any advice would be helpful, thank you!

Replies

• ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You have 18 pounds to lose. With that little you should aim for .5 pounds loss a week to do it healthily.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    ShandaLeaS wrote: »
    You have 18 pounds to lose. With that little you should aim for .5 pounds loss a week to do it healthily.

Spot on.

@ivylaurenolsen, set your goals up in MFP to lose .5 pounds a week, stay within your calorie goals, and you will lose weight.
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    So I just set the goal of reaching 120 lbs by Christmas this year. I am currently at 138 (and I am 5'5) so that is about 20 lbs in four months. Is this goal attainable? What exactly should I do to reach it? Any advice would be helpful, thank you!

I'm 5"4 and my starting weight was 165 at the end of April and by the end of August I lost 19.5 pounds (in 4 months) so it is a reasonable goal if you stick with it!
  • robinlouis77
    robinlouis77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5"7 female desperately looking to lose 20 lbs in one month. I'm 195 lbs now. Please help with suggestions of what to eat and what exercise regiment is best for those results
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ESotrops, you weigh more than the OP so had a greater deficit to work with.
    The OP is 18 lb from her goal weight, and lighter, therefore the weight will come off a lot slower.
    .5lb is a reasonable expectation when one has less than 25lb to lose.

Ribinlouis77, trying to lose 20 lb in 1 month is an unreasonable, and unhealthy goal.
    Set up MFP to lose at a reasonable rate; .5-1 lb for every 25lb you want to lose.

Cheers, h.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I started off at 157lbs and I got down to 130lbs in 4 months. It's achievable but not easy - you need to put the work in and I worked extremely hard. Saying that, I *DID* lose this weight at an extremely healthy rate but I was also starting off heavier than you.

I'd say stop focusing on the set amount and go for losing to make you 'feel good'.