Advice on calorie intake for skinny fat person?

Options
elga_thres
elga_thres Posts: 117 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, everybody! I'm 19 years old, my height is 4'11" and my weight is 112. If we use BMI, then I fall into the normal category. However, my body fat is 27-28%. So, I guess I'm what we call skinny fat. Before MFP, my weight loss attempt was unhealthy. I used to not eat enough. I would like to do body recomp, but I'm wondering how should set my calorie goal. Should I eat at deficit, slight deficit or maintenance? I do weight training 3x a week and cardio 3-4x a week.

Your opinions will be appreciated. Thank you! ☺

Replies

• dmillz89
    dmillz89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would eat at at deficit. Once you've lost 8-10% BF you can switch to a small surplus and start putting on that sexy lean muscle.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Or do a recomp which I believe involves lifting weights, and eating at a slight deficit for the week.

So you lose some fat and gain some muscle.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    elga_thres wrote: »
    Hi, everybody! I'm 19 years old, my height is 4'11" and my weight is 112. If we use BMI, then I fall into the normal category. However, my body fat is 27-28%. So, I guess I'm what we call skinny fat. Before MFP, my weight loss attempt was unhealthy. I used to not eat enough. I would like to do body recomp, but I'm wondering how should set my calorie goal. Should I eat at deficit, slight deficit or maintenance? I do weight training 3x a week and cardio 3-4x a week.

Please share how you came to the conclusion that you are 27-28% body fat. That doesn't sound right for your height and weight.

Do you lift heavy on a progressive weight lifting plan? What weight lifting plan do you do? I suggest buying the book The New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. It's a great book.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Eeek, I hate the term 'skinny fat. I feel it isn't giving yourself enough credit for being a healthy weight! I'd suggest weight lifting and strengh work-out's to "Firm Up". If you are a member of a gym, speak to a trainer and they'll be able to tell you exactly what you should be doing (and how often!). Best of luck :)
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position, almost. I have about 25 more pounds to loose and am 33% body fat. I was told that once I reach my weight goal, to eat at maintenence and then do strength training to build muscle. I don't really get why you'd eat at a deficit when you don't need to loose weight, just body fat.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    dmillz89 wrote: »
    If I were you I would eat at at deficit. Once you've lost 8-10% BF you can switch to a small surplus and start putting on that sexy lean muscle.

She'd need to go below 100 lbs to lower her bf % that much through diet alone, even assuming that every pound lost was fat. Not a good plan
  • elga_thres
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Please share how you came to the conclusion that you are 27-28% body fat. That doesn't sound right for your height and weight.

Do you lift heavy on a progressive weight lifting plan? What weight lifting plan do you do? I suggest buying the book The New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. It's a great book.

I take measurements weekly and use calculator to estimate my body fat. I've tried several formulas and the results range from 27-28%. They do have around 3% error margin, so I could have less body fat than the results show. But my goal is at least 21% or better, 19%.
  • elga_thres
    Options
    flrancho wrote: »
    I'm in the same position, almost. I have about 25 more pounds to loose and am 33% body fat. I was told that once I reach my weight goal, to eat at maintenence and then do strength training to build muscle. I don't really get why you'd eat at a deficit when you don't need to loose weight, just body fat.
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Or do a recomp which I believe involves lifting weights, and eating at a slight deficit for the week.

Thank you!!! So, no aggressive deficit.. That's good news....
  • elga_thres
    Options
    Eeek, I hate the term 'skinny fat. I feel it isn't giving yourself enough credit for being a healthy weight! I'd suggest weight lifting and strengh work-out's to "Firm Up". If you are a member of a gym, speak to a trainer and they'll be able to tell you exactly what you should be doing (and how often!). Best of luck :)

Actually I kind of dislike it too, it took serious efforts to reach my current weight. However, the fact is my body fat % is high, I have to accept that fact so I can do something about it. Thanks for the suggestion! Best of luck for you too :D

• elga_thres
    Options
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I just recently started weight lifting. I used to do too much cardio. Thank you for the suggestion! I'll Google the book.:)

• Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Actually for what I understand about recomp is you eat at maintenance no deficit. Recomp is keeping the scale number the same while improving you overall muscle tone by lifting weights.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    dmillz89 wrote: »

She'd need to go below 100 lbs to lower her bf % that much through diet alone, even assuming that every pound lost was fat. Not a good plan

At 4' 11", under 100 lbs would not be a problem. On the lower side of healthy BMI, yes, but not a health issue.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Keep in mind at 4' 11", 112 lbs is on the higher side of healthy BMI, just as 27-28% BF is on the higher side of healthy %BF for a woman. I have no trouble believing that she may be close in her estimate.

Does someone have that picture showing the range of bodies at different %BF? Maybe OP can pick out to which she thinks she is closest? Seems that's as accurate an estimate as the online calculators.
  • elga_thres
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Keep in mind at 4' 11", 112 lbs is on the higher side of healthy BMI, just as 27-28% BF is on the higher side of healthy %BF for a woman. I have no trouble believing that she may be close in her estimate.

Does someone have that picture showing the range of bodies at different %BF? Maybe OP can pick out to which she thinks she is closest? Seems that's as accurate an estimate as the online calculators.

I'll look up that picture, thanks ☺..
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options

pyhprjxa4w7i.jpg
  • sbukx
    sbukx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    flrancho wrote: »

to lose fat you would need to eat a deficit or exercise to loose the weight
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I was told diet to loose the weight, and exercise (specifically progressive weightlifting) to loose the fat - regardless of wether or not I was still dieting at the time (ie, eating at a deficit).

I am about 20 pounds away from a mid-range healthy BMI index weight, yet I still look like the 40% BF picture above; continuing to eat at a deficit at this point would make me too skinny. What am I supposed to do, yo-yo diet until I get rid of all the fat?
  • elga_thres
    Options
    Thank you very much!!!! Yes, I look like somewhere between 25%-30%. I just used the scale which can measure body fat percentage and it said 30% .

pyhprjxa4w7i.jpg