Healthy Lunch Ideas that are Not Salads

Options
Hi All,

I'm looking for healthy lunch ideas that are not salads. I've been doing mason jar salads with different kinds of lettuce and I am getting a little board.

All ideas are welcome. I don't have any diet restrictions.

Thanks!

Replies

• janemartin88
    janemartin88 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been having a Tuna & Chickpea Salad I found the other day. It's delicious and really filling. I've adjusted dressing to reduce the oil content.
    http://summerofgeorge.me/2013/09/03/light-and-healthy-tuna-and-chickpea-salad-courtesy-of-gwynnie/
    Hope you try it!
    Jane :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    What do you like? This week I've had/having buffalo chicken soup, chicken cacciatore with mushrooms, enchilada stuffed peppers, jalapeno popper soup, and I may throw a salad in there for fun.

Every single one of these was cooked on a weekend (aside from the salad), and portioned for my freezer. I have probably 40 meals to choose from (maybe 15 dishes).
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Google healthy lunch recipes and you will be hip deep in ideas.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    My usual lunch is leftovers from the night before. When putting up the leftovers, I fix a microwaveable container with a smaller lunch-sized portion to take to work.

Sandwiches are always good and you can get really creative with those using your preferred meat, cheese, bread, veggies and condiments.

When making soups and chilis, I make up lunch-sized portions and throw them in the freezer for days when I don't have anything else for lunch. Those are always great to pull out the night before or in the morning and then microwave for lunch.

I'm sitting here trying to think of other ideas that I use and really, the vast majority of my lunches are leftovers in some way, shape or form! That is really the easiest for me.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    These last few weeks, I have been on a Yogurt or Bean burger kick. If yogurt - it is plain greek, and I add walnuts and raspberries or blueberries. If Bean burger days - I have been making a black bean burger (plain) with some veggies that I heat up together...

When the weather changes, I make alot of different kinds of soups. I will make a huge pot of it on Sunday to last the week.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Another vote for leftovers. Easiest lunch there is.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You are board? Not bored ?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Another vote for sandwiches or leftovers.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Because I don't have them often, I like a really good sandwich for lunch. Some black forest ham, swiss cheese, mayo, tomato, avocado, spinach on some good grain bread. Yum.
  • Regine519
    Regine519 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Regine519 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm looking for healthy lunch ideas that are not salads. I've been doing mason jar salads with different kinds of lettuce and I am getting a little board.

All ideas are welcome. I don't have any diet restrictions.

Thanks!
    What do you like? This week I've had/having buffalo chicken soup, chicken cacciatore with mushrooms, enchilada stuffed peppers, jalapeno popper soup, and I may throw a salad in there for fun.

Every single one of these was cooked on a weekend (aside from the salad), and portioned for my freezer. I have probably 40 meals to choose from (maybe 15 dishes).

These lunch ideas all sound amazing. I'm going to look up these recipes today and meal prep for next week. Your just putting them in freezer safe containers? Thanks
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I like to make egg salad with low fat ranch dressing, avocado, or cottage cheese with salt and pepper instead of mayo. I usually eat it by itself instead of on bread. I avoid bread unless it's really extra delicious....because I made a promise to myself to not waste calories on something I do not LOVE. Most bread is "meh" to me. Lol

My friend likes to have a sandwich made with sprouted grain bread...toasted...with avocado and sliced hard boiled eggs. I'm going to try that.

Leftover anything works for lunch esp. If you have access to a microwave or toaster oven.
  • DrFever100
    DrFever100 Posts: 5,899 Member
    Options
    Tuna mixed with some chopped celery and green onions topped with some sliced cucumber and tomatoes in a multi-grain wrap.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes make batches of soup and freeze in individual servings. I did beef barley veggie two weeks ago. I also like wraps with turkey, cucumbers, provolone, and baby spinach.
  • Liss812
    Liss812 Posts: 18 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm a soup & salad girl for sure, but today I made myself a sandwich for the first time in AGES. Sara Lee Multi-Grain Bread (45cal/slice), thin-sliced deli ham (ahhhh! Nitrates! I get it, but they won't kill me...today, lol) ... lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard. 143 calorie sandwich :)
  • Lil_lifter
    Lil_lifter Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Stirfried shredded carrot and beansprouts with limejuice, chilli, teaspoon of peanut butter and soy sauce and some shredded chicken for a protein boost
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I like taking leftover dinners as lunch too. Just pre-portion out the lunch, and pop it into the microwave. It's a lot more delicious the second day (sometimes). :smiley:
  • GreenHeather2014
    GreenHeather2014 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes make batches of soup and freeze in individual servings. I did beef barley veggie two weeks ago. I also like wraps with turkey, cucumbers, provolone, and baby spinach.

I love soups when the weather turns cold, so I also do the batch cooking and freeze individual servings. I also have a small slow cooker (makes about 4 cups), and will make small batches of stew, that way it gets eaten before the veggies get weird in the freezer.

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I baked a load of chicken thighs this week so yesterday I had chicken thighs with steamed broccoli and corn, today I added sliced tomatoes instead of the steamed veggies.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I throw random stuff together. Today was two hard boiled eggs, some baby carrots, a cliff bar, some string cheese and a single serving pack of pirates booty.