what foods can I eat

Options
I have been eating clean for near 1 month. I lost 12 lbs but haven't lost anymore even though I am killing myself at the gym and saying "No" to foods that I can't have any.longer at the diner table and desert table too. So I thought I would come to this blog to find out what else I should be eating to help promote the weight loss I am longing for.

Any help would be wonderful,

Thanks

FatCopThinCop

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Eat any food you like, just eat under your calorie goal.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Anything you're allergic to, intolerant of, is out of date, or you just don't like.

Other than that, eat away, just fit it into your calorie goal.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    but haven't lost anymore even though I am killing myself at the gym

How long has it been since you last lost any weight, in terms of weeks, and when did you first start hitting it hard in the gym?

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    There is no need to say 'No' to tasty food :)
    Just 'No' to too much.

People have this misconception that to eat healthily,you have to eat bland, colourless, natural foods. It isn't always the case and it CERTAINLY isn't sustainable in the long run. Find out what works for you.

I eat whatever I want - literally anything, even chocolate - but as long as I'm eating at a deficit, I lose weight! You don't need to be 'killing yourself at the gym' either. Don't push yourself too hard.

It's down to you - if you make this hard, you're going to be reluctant to keep it up. It doesn't have to be blood, sweat and tears. You can do this without losing your sanity! :)

Good luck.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 lbs eating dirty.

I eat what I like, just in lesser quantities.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i eat all kinds of 'crap' food and have lost 70 some pounds.

if youre not weighing and accurately logging your food, you might want to consider doing so....
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want. Weight loss is about calories. Most tend to eat more satiating foods and avoid high calorie foods but that is to avoid excessive hunger. In reality you can eat anything you want providing you stay within your calorie goal.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I have been eating clean for near 1 month. I lost 12 lbs but haven't lost anymore even though I am killing myself at the gym and saying "No" to foods that I can't have any.longer at the diner table and desert table too. So I thought I would come to this blog to find out what else I should be eating to help promote the weight loss I am longing for.

Any help would be wonderful,

Thanks

FatCopThinCop

Firstly, you've lost 12 lbs in a month. That's actually ahead of the curve but a chunk of that is probably initial shedding of water weight. It sounds like you're losing at a rate that is reasonable if you have a fair bit to lose.

You should look into incorporating these ideas into your plan and see how you can make them work best for you:
    • Set MFP up to your current stats and rate of weight loss and it will give you a target of calories to eat to.
    • Learn about your TDEE, and how the MFP calorie target sets a calorie deficit to promote losing weight.
    • Experiment with the mix of proteins, fats, and carbs that help satisfy you while staying in that target
    • Learn how to manage social occasions, dining out, and allowing treats by "banking calories" and budgeting for regular treats
    • Learn to use a food scale to improve your logging accuracy
    • Learn how exercise calories can be overestimated so you should be conservative when eating back the calories you earned.
    • Measure your progress. Weight alone is a start, but using tape or calipers and photographs help document progress in more ways
    • Understand that weight loss is not linear, there will be plateaus and occasional setbacks
    • Weight loss will slow down the closer you get to your goals. 2 lb/wk is reasonable when you have a lot to lose, but it will ultimately get closer to 1 lb/wk and slower as you progress.

Hope this helps, good luck.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Eat any food you like, just eat under your calorie goal.

^^ +1
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

had to giggle at the eating dirty...in my head the word was drug out...diiiirrrtyyy

:smiley:
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Forget about eating "clean." Eat whatever you want as long as you eat fewer calories than your body uses each day, and you will lose weight. You don't mention that you've been logging your eating, so if you haven't, that would be the next step.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    So I thought I would come to this blog to find out what else I should be eating to help promote the weight loss I am longing for.

If you aren't losing, eat fewer calories. You can't promote weight loss by choosing specific foods. Eating "clean" usually means eating foods that have fewer calories per volume on average (although not always) and which require more work to prepare (cooking from whole foods), so you avoid snacking on high calorie things, or at least a lot of people do. And lots of people also find getting more fiber and adequate protein (which often happens when you "eat clean" but won't necessarily, as the term doesn't actually mean anything) will result in them being more full and thus happier on less food.

If you are tracking and think your calories are already on the low side, it might be an issue in figuring out the logging--sometimes it's challenging at first, as there are lots of messed up entries in the database and you need to learn to recognize them.

Edit: oh, I missed that you've lost 12 lbs in a month. That's great. It's normal to stall for a week or 2, especially if you've lost a bunch -- when you say you haven't been losing what do you mean?
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    All of the food. Just less of them.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    All of the food. Just less of them.

/ thread
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options

I eat what I like, just in lesser quantities.

Eatin durty. I love it! I had a bagel with cream cheese this morning. Just means I have to eat less for dinner tonight.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If you eat clean...I would find a group. They can give you a lot of ideas. A lot of people here will tell you to eat what you want but less. It's totally up to you. But like I said if you WANT to eat clean...search the groups...good luck :smile:
  • FatCopThinCop
    FatCopThinCop Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    but haven't lost anymore even though I am killing myself at the gym

How long has it been since you last lost any weight, in terms of weeks, and when did you first start hitting it hard in the gym?

• FatCopThinCop
    FatCopThinCop Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's been awhile again. Like three weeks.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Forget about eating "clean." Eat whatever you want as long as you eat fewer calories than your body uses each day, and you will lose weight. You don't mention that you've been logging your eating, so if you haven't, that would be the next step.

But make sure to get your macro and micro nutrients for good health..
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If you're seeing a trend develop over 4-6 weeks of losing and gaining the same pounds, then it's not about what you can't eat, it's about how much you are eating. Eat less of what you're eating now. Get a kitchen scale and start weighing your food if you're not doing this yet.