picky eater here

Options
Anyone know of some awesome, great tasting recipes I should look into? I cant take the soggy texture of cooked veggies just so you know. Veggies I do like are limited. I love fruit and steak. I'm not the best when it comes to detailed cooking, seems like a lot of work and time. Suggestions?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat what you always do, in moderation, at a deficit.
  • sasham1991
    sasham1991 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's the moderation part that can be hard lol
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

This.

My suggestion is, if you're wanting to try new things/veggies/whatever, is to try them at least 7 different ways before you decide you don't like them. Go on a veritable food adventure! Make it fun! Doesn't have to be complicated.
    Veggies don't have to be soggy. Try steaming them instead of boiling? I get frozen veggies in steamable bags and they're never soggy and taste great.
  • sasham1991
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

This.

My suggestion is, if you're wanting to try new things/veggies/whatever, is to try them at least 7 different ways before you decide you don't like them. Go on a veritable food adventure! Make it fun! Doesn't have to be complicated.
    Veggies don't have to be soggy. Try steaming them instead of boiling? I get frozen veggies in steamable bags and they're never soggy and taste great.

Thanks for the input, I have tried them steamed too just not too my liking, raw just tastes better.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You can also try stir-frying fresh veggies for just a few minutes.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    sasham1991 wrote: »

This.

Thanks for the input, I have tried them steamed too just not too my liking, raw just tastes better.

Have you tried the steamable veggies made by Birds Eye Steamfresh? Most of them come flavored. Like teryaki broccoli or wasabi peas. I find them quite tasty and not too terrible on calories.
  • sasham1991
    Options
    You can also try stir-frying fresh veggies for just a few minutes.
    I've tried that I don't like it but thank you
  • sasham1991
    Options

This.

Have you tried the steamable veggies made by Birds Eye Steamfresh? Most of them come flavored. Like teryaki broccoli or wasabi peas. I find them quite tasty and not too terrible on calories.

No I havent tried them specifically, but I've had sauces on my veggies before. If that's the same
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    i roast most of my veggies. . gives them a different taste and texture.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If you like them raw, then eat them raw. My 19 yo son really only likes raw veggies (only cooked ones I can think of are corn on the cob and roasted potatoes), so that's what I serve him. Raw broccoli, green beans. He even eats uncooked frozen peas.
  • sasham1991
    Options
    Owlfan88 wrote: »
    If you like them raw, then eat them raw. My 19 yo son really only likes raw veggies (only cooked ones I can think of are corn on the cob and roasted potatoes), so that's what I serve him. Raw broccoli, green beans. He even eats uncooked frozen peas.
    Yeah I just gotta get out of my bad eating habits, can be hard when I've been this way since I was prolly 17 or 18, cuz then I could buy my own food lol
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Owlfan88 wrote: »
    Yeah I just gotta get out of my bad eating habits, can be hard when I've been this way since I was prolly 17 or 18, cuz then I could buy my own food lol

So eat the vegetables raw. For now, start with the pre-washed and convenience bagged ones in the produce department. Eat them raw. Dip them in hummus or something, if you like. What vegetables do you like? I find cherry tomatoes, sweet red peppers, broccoli, small/thin asparagus, cucumber, lettuce/greens, carrots, celery, snap peas, and snap beans are all very edible raw with or without something to dip them in.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It's the moderation part that can be hard lol

If it were easy, no one would have any weight to lose. Of course it can be hard - nothing easy is worth doing.

Step #1 is to stop thinking there are "good foods" vs. "bad foods." Eat what you want, track the macros/calories, stay within your limits, and lose weight. Voila! No, it won't be a piece of cake, pun intended, but you either want it or you don't.

You might find over time that you're willing to eat something that you're not crazy about because it's more filling than something you think tastes really good. I'm all about volume, and I'll admit I sacrifice flavor from time to time if it means I get to eat a bunch of food without going over my macros. However, I leave plenty of space for things I enjoy - waffles, ice cream, peanut butter, etc. It's all about finding the balance that works for YOU. We can't give you the secrets, because there are none. It's trial and error.

Also, what exactly is wrong about eating vegetables raw?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Why are your veggies soggy?
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    Options

It's subjective. "Soggy" to one person may be "perfectly steamed" to another.

If you like raw veggies, eat them raw. Marilyn Monroe ate raw carrots next to her cooked meat.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    A lot of people like Skinnytaste for recipe ideas:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Also, for meal plans with recipes that fit within a particular calorie budget, you could try Eat This Much. It lets you customize for different dietary patterns.

https://www.eatthismuch.com/

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

It's subjective. "Soggy" to one person may be "perfectly steamed" to another.

If you like raw veggies, eat them raw. Marilyn Monroe ate raw carrots next to her cooked meat.

I don' think so. I think soggy is soggy. Some people like soggy I guess. I prefer lightly steamed.

But that wasn't really my point. My point was: learn to cook vegetables properly, and learn to cook them to taste. :)