Apple Cider Vinegar

Options
2»

Replies

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I like a dash of ACV in a glass of water. It makes the water very tasty. I can't imagine I would want it sweetened with stevia or anything else.
  • Muzzoozal
    Muzzoozal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    tasty ways to use vinegar is in salads, soak cucumbers/tomatoes in it and as you munch you get lots of the vinegar
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    spttdb wrote: »
    tasty ways to use vinegar is in salads, soak cucumbers/tomatoes in it and as you munch you get lots of the vinegar

I love to do this with balsamic. Slice up a cucumber and a little red onion, drizzle the balsamic vinegar over it, and eat. Yummy!

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yes! Well, not exactly. In an apple cider vinegar thread a while back, an astute poster mentioned "shrubs." I had never heard of them before. She worked in a museum, I believe, that had an exhibit with a turn of the century shrub recipe. I thought she said they rose in popularity as a kind of lemonade when lemons were scarce. Subsequently, I've read that their popularity derived from preserving fruit flavor before refrigeration was available. Whatever the case, I am reading about them everywhere now! I have 4 in various stages in my fridge at the moment: cantaloupe+mint, mango+lime zest, mango+cilantro, and mango+jalepenos. I'm using the parts that might get tossed (cantaloupe seeds & innerds, mango bits shaved off seed & skin that aren't as pretty as the cubes).

The key though, is shrubs use sugar, not stevia. I strongly doubt a shrub would have the same physical properties without the sugar. For those interested, the nominal method involves equal parts fruit, vinegar and sugar. Cold method: muddle sugar and fruit to macerate several hours to several days (some refrigerate, some don't). Add vinegar, give it a shake daily for a week and strain. Hot method: heat sugar & vinegar in a saucepan until dissolved. Add fruit, mash and strain. Hot method quicker but less nuanced flavor than the cold method. Supposedly.

The result is a syrup that can be used to flavor water (sparkling or still) or cocktails. I haven't gotten that far, however. I am VERY interested in hearing about anybody's experience experimenting with shrubs (including the use of stevia, with which I have no experience). Particularly the cocktail use. :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    the only benefit it has ever shown to have is some potential benefits for inflammation in people with gout and arthritis and as a way for diabetics to reduce the GL of their meal...which can also be done with just food...anything beyond that is just a bunch of woo.

• LiveLoveSwimming
    LiveLoveSwimming Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used Apple cider vinegar mixed into water and sweetened with stevia before? What were your results?

I drink a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with lemon and a bit of water every morning. There's a lot of health benefits to apple cider vinegar but for me it helps keep the bloating away all day!
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I use it to make home made buttermilk for pancake recipes. Its basically: 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of Cider Vinegar for every cup of milk. I use unsweetened almond or cashew milk and add the vinegar to it in a bowl. let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. Comes out great! :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I also have the best cooked salad dressing recipe that uses apple cider vinegar. It makes the best deviled eggs, potato and pasta salads, and egg salad. It is a bit of a sweet-sour flavor.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used Apple cider vinegar mixed into water and sweetened with stevia before? What were your results?

I drink a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with lemon and a bit of water every morning. There's a lot of health benefits to apple cider vinegar but for me it helps keep the bloating away all day!

Gonna try it for bloat, thanks!
  • Kelene616
    Kelene616 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    ChicaFirme wrote: »
    I drink it as a tea to reduce bloating. Apple Cider Vinegar + Raw Honey + Cinnamon + Lemon Juice in hot water. It does a lovely job taking away my bloat and I don't mind the taste. I don't know about weight loss though

I absolutely love this drink. I use madhava organic raw honey and ceylon cinnamon in it. The best benefits that I've noticed, aside from noticing I'm not as hungry, is my arthritis and back pain aren't nearly as bad after I have my cups, one in the morning and one before bed. I seem to have less digestive issues as well. Also helps with sinus headaches, and I haven't had a cold or the flu in about two years. I started drinking this in 2013 after I had surgery, the Dr recommended this to help my insides heal. I swear by it now.
  • Kelene616
    Kelene616 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    niecyis51 wrote: »
    Do you have a recipe for the hot bacon dressing? I eat it at Applebees and I love it! Thanks.

I make it "by guess and by golly" but here is the best I can do:

8 pieces bacon
    2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon sugar

Fry up the bacon and remove from the pan, leaving the fat. Turn off the heat. Stir in the vinegar and sugar and adjust for taste. Crumble the bacon over the spinach (I usually slice up a couple of hard cooked eggs and slice some onion also) and spoon the dressing over top. Toss.

Wilted lettuce salad is similar. You use leaf lettuce from your garden and let the warm dressing wilt the lettuce a little before serving.

Sounds delicious! I'm definitely going to try this soon ;-)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    now why would one want to ruin some perfectly good vinegar by putting nasty stevia in it...bleck!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon mixed in apple juice (or tea) actually works to relieve gallbladder symptoms. The people who use it to "speed up their metabolism" are nuts.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I tried it for relieving my acid reflux. I couldn't stomach it at all.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I've been using it to pickle the beets we're getting from our CSA share. Freakin' delicious, although I may try balsamic for the next batch.

It's also good for trapping fruit flies.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I use Apple Cider vinegar in my cooking. Black beans are very tasty with it

Mandatory for proper BBQ sauce and basting!

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I only use it as a face toner.