Isagenix question

Options
I have a question for those who have used isagenix and a question for those who haven't.

1) If you have used Isagenix and have seen results, how long were you on the program for and did you keep the weight off?

2) For those that don't use or are against shake meal replacements:
- Even though I am using Isagenix to help kick start my body and mind into making the healthy choices, I am tracking everything on MFP and consuming around 1200-1300 calories a day ( and exercising 20-30 mins a day, so burning about 150-250)....... do you think the likelihood of me keeping the weight of that I do loose is good?

I know it is expensive, and MLM (which i don't push people into it), but I needed something to help me get started. I know it is according to them a "lifestyle" , but i personally can NOT see myself doing this the rest of my life! I like food too much :)

My problem is I am not a great breakfast eater, and I find having a shake in the morning is a quick way to get a healthy morning of to the right start... so if i stop Isagenix, can anyone suggest a YUMMY protein GLUTEN FREE shake mix (Ontario, Canada).

I am also, (now that I am partially following the 30 day Isagenix plan) trying to go Gluten Free and really try to eat clean ( as much as possible).

I appreciate your help.

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Question, why do you need a supplement to kick start you? Are you going to transition to something different, and if you do how will that look? Is the expense worth it when there are homemade supplements you could make and manipulate the ingredients? Why are you trying to go gluten free are you diagnosed with celiacs or gluten intolerance? What do you mean by eat clean?

Since these are so broad it might help to clarify what you are expecting to get further help.

Personally, If you like a shake in the morning I'd get a good blender or bullet some kind of milk/milk alternative, peanut butter, fruit, and a handful of spinach. Others, like to add extra protein powder because they think they need more than the actual recommendation of 1.5g/kg for an athlete. (but that's neither here nor there)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    You don't "have" to eat breakfast. Weight loss and gain is based on total calories in a day and how you attain that doesn't rely on how many meals you consume in a day. Whether you do it in one meal or several meals a day, as long as your getting in your essentials and aren't exceeding your calorie restriction, you'll lose weight. Meal timing is more of a preference than a need.
    ANY program works if you stick to it. The main issues people don't is because of cost, extremity, and abstaining from foods that they actually enjoy. That's why it's a 90% failure rate for most.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    1) Isagenix doesn't cause results. A caloric deficit does. Isagenix is BS.

2) Whenever I here "kick start my ....", my lizard brain turns on. You either do or you don't, there is no try. It depends on whether you can find 1200 calories sustainable.. a lot of people can't.

Why are you eating gluten free? Do you have Celiacs? What is clean?
  • jennipooh0324
    jennipooh0324 Posts: 85 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    i am eating GLuten free as I have PCOS ( some may not know what that is) and insulin intolerant, so it was suggested that I try to eat clean ( no processed foods, no carbonated beverages, and try to eat only fresh ( or home made meals) )
    And I do find that 1200-1300 calories is enough for me, but on days that I do more exercise, I do eat a little bit more.
    I am not planning on staying on Isagenix, it's not something that i can afford, or doesn't make sense to me....but being that it is helping me ( perhaps it's just a mental thing) but for now, it has helped me. So I am happy that I found this program for now...
    Like I said, I am going to transition myself back into just eating healthy and making healthy choices for me and my family.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've never understood the correlation of "eat clean" and "meal replacement shake". Surely meal replacement shakes are just about one of the most processed things ever? I see it all the time with Isagenix, Herbalife, Shakeology... it just doesn't make sense to me.
  • jennipooh0324
    Options
    I never thought of it that way, but makes sense...
  • jennipooh0324
    Options
    so I am guessing that the 2 day cleanses that we are suppose to do are not really required??

Question then, what is a good proportion for carbs to fat to protein ( when tracking on MFP)
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Cleanses are never required. No drink can do something your liver and kidneys aren't already doing, and if they aren't doing their job, you need a doctor, not a cleanse. It's just a money grab.
  • amazetome
    amazetome Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I did the whole Isagenix plan maybe 12 or 13 years ago. I lost 25 pounds in about 4 months, and then gained it all back as soon as I stopped. The friend I did it with didn't have as much to lose, and she didn't gain any of it back. My problem was that it didn't teach me how to eat properly, so as soon as I stopped the shakes I just went back to what I knew - eating crap! This time around I cut out most processed food and focused on reasonable portions of whole foods, but I'll admit that I still had a jar of Isalean in the cabinet for a long time and made a shake once a week or so when I didn't make time to eat something healthy. It's so heavily processed that I finally gave it up and now keep a jar of Warrior Food protein powder in there instead. It's not MLM (I get it from Amazon), is gluten free, and doesn't contain as much crap. It's an acquired taste, though, and it's still not exactly a whole food :-)

Short story long, I think you just need to ask yourself if Isagenix is something that will really help you both now and long term. If you're okay with the ingredients list and level of processing and really feel like you need it to jumpstart your weight loss, just also think about ways to modify your real diet that you can sustain the weight loss into the future.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    What does not eating gluten have to do with eating clean?

Pretty much everything is processed, it just varies in how much.
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I tried it for about a month, lost 14lb the first week and nothing after that. Then gained it all back within a week of stoping, honestly I think I spent more time in the bathroom that month then in the rest of my life combined, hence the weight loss/gain. So for me it was a huge waste of money. I'm not a big breakfast eater but I found if I don't have something in the morning then by the time I ate was was so hungry I would bindge on just about anything and make bad choices, also I felt very rundown because my body didn't have the fuel it needed. So now I usually do an Atkins shake for breakfast, it's filling and tastes good. Imo it's really just learning how to make better choices and portion control, things that isagenix doesn't teach you
  • jennipooh0324
    Options
    happy to say that I cancelled my isagenix program and going to follow the MFP plan! Eating healthy. I am getting a full refund ( except the shipping cost) so the $50 i spent, has helped me realize what I need to do to lose weight naturally, healthy and to KEEP IT OFF!!
    Thanks for all your input!

The one comment especially of:
    I've never understood the correlation of "eat clean" and "meal replacement shake". Surely meal replacement shakes are just about one of the most processed things ever? I see it all the time with Isagenix, Herbalife, Shakeology... it just doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks again!
  • emmalpoppy
    emmalpoppy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use isagenix for breakfast. I only go through 3 canisters every two months at worst so it's not expensive for me. I haven't found a protein shake that is gluten free, soy free and contains the amount of protein and vitamins I need besides isagenix. I have to be gluten free and watch soy intake for health reasons. I'm not using it to lose weight but more out of convenience. I can't eat oats or much fruit either so breakfast is hard. I do have to eat something or I get crabby. Also I have a very hard time eating at least 1200 calories as I get full and stay full on around 900 calories.

But saying that I think it's a good thing you cancelled it. I don't see it as a good weight loss program for the long haul. And the cleanse days just seem idiotic to me. It's a great shake to use for breakfast as it does fill me up and when used that way it's actually pretty cheap. I don't do autoships I just order when I feel like it.

I should say I don't eat clean lol I just eat healthy food along with gluten free cake and cookies and soda.....
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    happy to say that I cancelled my isagenix program and going to follow the MFP plan!
    Good job.

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    The reason I asked about gluten is because the only studies where there have been replicated results show that there are no reasons for avoiding gluten unless you are celiac or allergic. It's otherwise a fad diet, and some of the replacements are much more unhealthy.
  • jennipooh0324
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    The reason I asked about gluten is because the only studies where there have been replicated results show that there are no reasons for avoiding gluten unless you are celiac or allergic. It's otherwise a fad diet, and some of the replacements are much more unhealthy.

Gluten also affects those that are insulin resitant... so even though I am not celiac, I still have to really watch the amount of gluten that I eat.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Not a meal replacement per say, but I skip breakfast and have a protein shake mid morning. I use Trutein and it is gluten free.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Well done! MFP really works :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP, I predict you'll do really well in your weight loss. You are open to information and reason. Well done! :)