picky eater here

Options
2»

Replies

• wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    "Picky eater" is not a condition, it's a choice that you have reinforced over your lifetime. It's on you to find a culinary lifestyle that suits your tastes and needs, or not.

For me, i've found it much easier to cut down on portions of calorie dense meats and fruits and bulk up with fibruous vegetables to make my daily caloric goals more satisfying.

I've also done research into alternates, like swapping quinoa for rice to get that extra filling protein and fat from my grain, or like cutting WAY back on beef and increasing my chicken consumption.

Quit using your pickiness as an excuse, and instead challenge yourself to be a bit more adventurous as you develop a new, healthier lifestyle.

Or don't.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    "Picky eater" is not a condition, it's a choice that you have reinforced over your lifetime

That is the most untrue thing I have ever heard ..ever. And I am going to assume you are not a picky eater.

I do not eat vegetables, like at all. They are gross. (to me)
    so if you are just trying to eat healthy, I have no advice, however I have lost almost 28 lbs just eating smaller portions and different variations in my food.
    in fact this week if you flip through my diary I had papa johns, dennys, and IHOP. I still lost 1.8 lbs.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Buy fresh. Roast. YUM.

For me, I'd rather have the extra calories from oil and have my veggies taste like garlicy goodness.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Get yourself a gallon ziplock. Put 4oz of cut up broccoli, 1 garlic clove diced fine, 1/2 TBSP olive oil, salt and pepper. Seal the bag. Shake like mad. Foil line a baking sheet. Pour out contents. Bake for 20 minutes. Take out and enjoy. I do this with Asparagus, Cauliflower, and Brussel Sprouts too!

BTW. I hate canned or frozen veggies. If I'm gonna eat it, it better be fresh.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoidant/restrictive_food_intake_disorder

Recognized condition. Symptoms, if they are interfering with life, can be lessened with cognitive behavior therapy.

I am thinking that people with ARFID have a highly sensitive gag/disgust reflex. From a Darwinian point of view, it might come in handy to have a few picky eaters in the tribe. In case everyone (save one) chows down on mysterious gourd stew.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Buy fresh. Roast. YUM.

For me, I'd rather have the extra calories from oil and have my veggies taste like garlicy goodness.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Get yourself a gallon ziplock. Put 4oz of cut up broccoli, 1 garlic clove diced fine, 1/2 TBSP olive oil, salt and pepper. Seal the bag. Shake like mad. Foil line a baking sheet. Pour out contents. Bake for 20 minutes. Take out and enjoy. I do this with Asparagus, Cauliflower, and Brussel Sprouts too!

BTW. I hate canned or frozen veggies. If I'm gonna eat it, it better be fresh.

I used to not like vegetables as a teen and adult. There was just always something lacking. Flavor, texture. Something. Even fresh veggies in a pot roast, let's say, were mushy and gross.

The first things I learned to like as an adult was fresh raw veggies, like I mentioned. Typically in a salad at first. Next I learned how to stir fry things like carrots and broccoli in a stir fry. Then I cut WAY down on my sugar intake, and most vegetables now taste good sauteed or roasted in oil, salt, pepper and garlic. But this didn't happen overnight.

I now ADORE roasted brussels sprouts, for instance, once I learned to make them well. Same with nearly every vegetable I've committed to learning. For brussels sprouts, for instance, roasted in oil, salt, pepper, garlic and then chilled works best for me. Eaten at room temperature after chilling overnight. Add a vinegary salad dressing.
  • riley4785
    riley4785 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There are so many pretty ways to serve raw veggies. Raw vegan is a "thing" now so there are tons of recipes for all kinds of vegetable dishes that aren't cooked or are just lightly cooked. Pinterest will have tons of suggestions for raw vegan (basically extreme vegetarian) dishes and I'll bet you can find something that contains whatever your list of ok veggies is. Sometimes eating vegetables is all about presentation. If you make them pretty on a plate, then they taste better for whatever reason!
  • alt5057
    alt5057 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When you cook your veggies, only cook them to "crisp-tender". They will cooked and you won't be eating raw veggies, but will also still be crunchy so you don't have the soft veggie texture you dislike. I cook asparagus, green beans, bell peppers and broccoli to crisp tender because I don't like mushy vegetables either. I will also wait to add any tomato that need to be cooked until later in a recipe so the retain some of the structure since tomatoes cook down quickly.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Sasham,

Yes, try vegetables roasted. It is simple and they taste different roasted. Cut up vegetables in bite sized pieces, toss with a little bit of olive oil (Measure it), add seasonings, and roast in oven for an hour at 450 degrees. Potatoes and carrots are denser, so I put them in for a short time first before I add other vegetables to the roasting pan.

If you separate them into different places on a baking pan, you can taste each one and determine which ones you like the best for future reference. Then you can just roast those vegetables when you want to.

Roast a large amount of the ones you like and store the extra in refrigerator. You can incorporate them into other meals by adding them into an omelette, adding them to a salad, sandwich, etc.

Vegetables I roast include: potatoes, carrots, brussel sprouts, celery, onion, broccoli, peppers, garlic, zucchini, other squash, eggplant, cauliflower, mushrooms, beets, asparagus, green beans, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes.

When I add the oil to the bowl of vegetables before I put them on the roasting pan, I have added thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. Use whatever you like, though.

I am thinking you might still decide you don't want to do this. Kindly, I will tell you: "Then just start with the vegetables you dislike the least! It is important for your health. Keep eating them anyway. If you do that you will most likely develop a taste for some of them. It may take a while." Read up on the nutritional benefits of vegetables.

My husband grew up in a family that did not eat vegetables! The closest he got to them were the lettuce and tomatos on a McDonald's hamburger. He does not like all vegetables now, but now he does eat many of them. We have been married for 38 years and I want to keep him around as long as I can, so I serve him a vegetable or salad every night for dinner.

70044776.png
  • jenlo1971
    jenlo1971 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It's not a requirement to eat veggies. At least I hope not or I'm in trouble. I also dislike veggies- especially soggy ones. I do enjoy a good salad at times so I will eat that. I too love fruit. I am a picky eater who becomes even pickier when thinking about weight loss. I find I don't want to waste calories on things I don't really really like. I've had pork chops I've been meaning to cook for awhile. They just sit there. I don't hate pork chops but I don't particularly love them either. I'd rather waste my calories on pounds of fruit and some cheese
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    No, it's not a requirement to eat vegetables. But I believe there are nutrients you will not get enough of unless you do eat them. Short term, no problem. But long term, I think your health will not be optimal.

Sasham does want to include some vegetables in her daily meals. She is aware they are good for you and asking for ideas and recipes. And I believe that some of the people, family, I know who have had cancer, may have lived longer if they had eaten better. Many vegetables are high fiber and rich in nutrients known to reduce your risk of colon and other cancers.