What knocks you out of Keto or stalls you (malitol for me for sure)

Options
I have been doing LC for about 6-7 weeks now. I was losing great the first 3 weeks doing Atkins Induction. (about 10 pd) Around the 4 week period I started using some of the Atkins bars and shakes. I also added in low carb tortillas (3g net carbs) a few times a week. Even at 20 or less net carbs a day my keto test strips were not turning dark purple but definetly a lighter purple. I hit a stop after the 4th or 5th week and saw a gain, then stayed the same, so basically I have been within a couple pounds of my 3 wk loss for the past 4 weeks. I was testing with strips daily and all of a sudden...out of Keto even though I track every bit and I was under 2 net carbs a day always. I am pretty sure it is anything with Malitol that will knock me out of Keto. I dont think the atkins shakes have Malitol ( I didn't see it on the label) but almost all their bars have it. I found just 1 or 2 that did not.
So...I wanted to know what anyone else finds stalls them or knocks them out of Keto even though they are staying in their net carbs.

I am totally unsure about the Macro thing. I have been trying to keep my calories between 1200-14oo per day and my carbs at net 30 or less. I am getting discouraged as I quit eating all the bars and stuff and I am still not back in keto after 4 days so I am thinking maybe those low carb Tortillas are not good for me either :(

Replies

• allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Hello there, I am not on low carbs, but found this thought I would share with you. Written or reviewed by a board-certified physician. See About.com's Medical Review Board.

Occasionally, someone will ask why their low-carb diet isn’t working as they think it should be. One of the first questions I ask is whether they are eating products with a lot of sugar alcohols such as maltitol. Although it doesn’t have the same impact on every individual, this one ingredient has been known to stall many a well-intentioned dieter. Here’s why.

What is Maltitol?

Maltitol is a sugar alcohol, an ingredient commonly used in low-carb or “sugar-free” products such as candy and nutrition bars.

It is used so much because of its similarity to sugar in terms of taste, mouth feel, and interaction with other ingredients. Products which use maltitol and other sugar alcohols as sweeteners can be called “sugar free.” Although claims are often made that maltitol has little impact on blood sugar, this turns out not to be the case.

Maltitol Has Carbs

Maltitol is a carbohydrate. Although our bodies do not absorb all the calories in maltitol, this substance does provide us with 2 to 3 calories per gram, compared to the 4 calories per gram of sugar. (For what its worth, I have noticed that the claim of 2 calories per gram usually comes from literature provided by the manufacturer or the low calorie food industry whereas other analyses tend to be closer to 3 calories.) Since maltitol is a carbohydrate, and since it provides calories, you would expect it to impact blood glucose. You would be correct.

Maltitol Has a Relatively High Glycemic Index

In particular, maltitol syrup has a glycemic index of 52, which approaches that of table sugar at 60.

Ads
    4 Fruits to never eat:
    biotrust.com
    Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 4 foods
    1 Rule of a flat stomach:
    redirectyourcarbs.com
    Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by using this 1 weird old tip.
    The powdered form has a glycemic index of 36, which is still higher than most other sugar alcohols and all artificial sweeteners.

Maltitol is Not as Sweet As Sugar

Estimates run from 75% to 90% of the sweetness of sugar. Again, the information provided by industry groups tends to give the 90% figure, while other sources say 75%. So, if maltitol has ¾ of the sweetness of sugar, ¾ the calories of sugar, and ¾ the glycemic index of sugar, it isn’t a far leap to the conclusion that you need ¼ more maltitol to get the same effect of sugar, which will give you close to the same effect in most other ways (except for dental cavities). You are basically getting expensive sugar. And…a bonus:

Maltitol can Cause Intestinal Discomfort

Usually this takes the form of intestinal gas and cramping, but some people may find themselves with diarrhea. If you decide to eat products with maltitol, you’d be wise to start with a small amount and judge the reaction -- as well whether you’ll be in a crowded room a few hours later.

Alternatives to Maltitol

The best alternatives to products with maltitol are usually made with erythritol, often in combination with artificial sweeteners such as sucralose (Splenda). But almost any other sugar alcohol is at least a little better than maltitol (see chart at the bottom of this article about sugar alcohols.
  • LadyNanci
    LadyNanci Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have read while researching sugar alchohols. I am type 2 diabetic so I am gearing up to do an actual test. I will test my blood sugar before eating a bar with Malitol and then test again after eating it. If my blood sugar goes up...that is pretty much proof positive that my body is processing it like a carb.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I cant speak on maltitol, but I can on the keto urine strips. The strips will only be "somewhat" useful for the first 2-3 weeks as the body excretes "excess" ketones. After that time the strips become useless because the body adjusts and no longer makes extra ketone bodies. You can quite possibly still be in a ketosis state if you kept net carbs low.
    The only real way to check your levels is with a glucometer using ketone strip.
    Most of yout weight loss could possibly have been simply water weight.
    Try reducin calories another 100-200 for 2-3 weeks and see if you drop.
    Women especially fluctuate water weight and can often times appear to stall over 2-3 weeks but still be losing fat although the scale doesnt move, a good thing to do is body measurements and pictures to track progress rather than relying on the scale exclusively.

With all that being said, you dont "have" to be in ketosis to lose fat. I was at 20g carbs a day but was only at .3 or .4 on the glucometer ( optimal ketosis is 1.5-3 or so) and still lost 35lbs of fat.
    Tighten up your logging and ensure you're in a calorie deficit and fat will come off
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree. Are you sure you were out of ketosis and it wasn't just that your body is no longer making excess ketones? Do you feel different? Did you go through any keto flu again?

If your carbs are below 30g, I would guess you are still in ketosis.

My ketostix vary from day to day. I rarely go above "small" for ketones now, and I'm about two months in.
  • LadyNanci
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Very helpful information. I did feel a slight increase in hunger but really nothing else . I didn't realize that about the ketostix so that is good to know. I guess as long as I am feeling good and not feeling unusually hungry that I am doing OK. I think I will steer clear of the Atkins bars and sugar alcohols and see how that goes.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have a strange question for you: what brand are the tortillas? Although I too follow a LCHF lifestyle, I have learned the hard-way that just because a food product is labeled "low-carb" it doesn't mean it actually is. There are some very disreputable companies out there that take advantage of the LC community at large (no pun intended) and actually have the unmitigated gall to list completely false nutritional data on their product packages. Here is a website that follows / tracks / lists several companies that have been known to or currently do this:

http://low-carb-scams.com/

Some of the companies known to be guilty of such abhorrent practices are:
    • Julian Bakery
    • Sami's Bakery
    • Low Carb Emporium
    • Carb Krunchers
    • Zomick's Bakery
    • Eatrite
    • Dreamfields (pasta)
    • NY Bagel Company
    • Butterfly Bakery
    • Cheeter's Diet Treats
    • Todd's Organic Breads (partnered with Cheeter's Diet Treats)
    • 365 Plain Yogurt (Yeah, the Whole Foods house/store brand)

...and there are so many more.

Plus list(s) of websites known to carry and actively sell "low carb" products from some of these utterly untrustworthy companies:

http://low-carb-scams.com/zomicks-bakery-carb-krunchers/
    http://low-carb-scams.com/diabetes-supplies-shop/

Anyway, low carb bread (or pasta) products including tortillas can sometimes be the reason for a stalled diet. When purchased processed "low carb" food products, TRUST BUT VERIFY!
  • LadyNanci
    Options
    Thanks Ladipoet for that information. the low carb tortillas I use are Mission (4 net carbs) and La Tortilla Factory (3 net carbs) and Mama Lupes (3 net carbs). The Mama Lupes are by far the best ones. I bought them at Netrition.com
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    LadyNanci wrote: »
    Thanks Ladipoet for that information. the low carb tortillas I use are Mission (4 net carbs) and La Tortilla Factory (3 net carbs) and Mama Lupes (3 net carbs). The Mama Lupes are by far the best ones. I bought them at Netrition.com

No problem Nanci. As far as I'm aware, the Mission Tortilla brand is pretty reputable; however, the Mama Lupe brand on the other hand is definitely NOT reputable (which is why they "taste so good" in comparison to other "low carb" tortillas) - I suggest you avoid Mama Lupe tortillas altogether. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the La Tortilla Factory brand at all so can't speak to that one (there are SO many tortilla brands out there that it can be difficult to keep track of and/or know them all! lol).

Hope this info helps and good luck to you with getting your diet efforts back on track!