When to lower calorie goal, and by how much?

Options
If a person is logging accurately, exercising, and is still not losing, I often see people suggest to lower the calorie goal. My question is, at what should I do this, and by how much?

Some background - about 8 weeks ago I started making some significant lifestyle changes, especially with regard to food. I used to eat out or eat processed food pretty much for every meal, and I was completely sedentary. I started shopping for real food, am learning how to cook, and enrolled in dance classes. Abut 6 weeks ago, I started diligently weighing/logging.

I am a 36 year old female, 5'6, 155 pounds. Using the scooby TDEE calculator, I determined my calorie goal should be somewhere between 1400 (if I'm totally sedentary, which I'm not) and 1600 (lightly active). I erred on the low side and set my goal to 1450. I do not log exercise calories burned.

My measuring/logging is as tight as it can possibly be. The major margin for error I see is that all of my food comes from farmers markets and local vendors, so there is almost never nutritional info. I do my best by trying to choose equivalent items in the database and over-estimating a bit.

All that being said, I've lost 0 pounds and 0 inches. I feel GREAT and I'm loving my new lifestyle, but the ultimate goal is still to shed fat. I understand the science behind weight loss and CICO (I actually *am* a scientist), so I know that I've got to make an adjustment. Considering I'm now taking 4 dance classes a week and doing T25 every day, I don't think I want to try to burn more calories. So, I should adjust my calorie goal down, but by how much? Do I just pick a number lower than 1450 and try it?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Hello :)

You certainly sound like you know what you're doing here! There could be a number of reasons for your lack of weight loss. I hate to point fingers and say "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WRONG" because that's not my style and a lot of the time, the person is doing just fine - but have you considered weighing your food first of all? I doubt this is the reason for you losing absolutely zero weight but it might be an idea to get into the habit of doing that anyway. I was surprised by my portion size when I wasn't weighing although I do tend to make quite accurate guesses these days.

Have you been checked by your doctor? There may be an underlining reason. I certainly don't suggest lowering your calories anymore - Try a nice solid 1500 per day with weighed foods and a nice amount of exercise
  • lindzalexis
    lindzalexis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I definitely weigh everything except liquids, which I use measuring cups for. I'm also using the recipe builder quite a bit since I'm cooking a lot (except for the occasional meal out with friends). It's been an adjustment but now my food scale is a permanent fixture on the counter. :)
    Hello :)

You certainly sound like you know what you're doing here! There could be a number of reasons for your lack of weight loss. I hate to point fingers and say "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WRONG" because that's not my style and a lot of the time, the person is doing just fine - but have you considered weighing your food first of all? I doubt this is the reason for you losing absolutely zero weight but it might be an idea to get into the habit of doing that anyway. I was surprised by my portion size when I wasn't weighing although I do tend to make quite accurate guesses these days.

Have you been checked by your doctor? There may be an underlining reason. I certainly don't suggest lowering your calories anymore - Try a nice solid 1500 per day with weighed foods and a nice amount of exercise

• shadowconn
    shadowconn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Could you be putting muscle on as fast as you are losing the weight or perhaps eating too much salt? I just changed my calorie goal to 1403 because that is what my maintenance will be once I reach 145 pounds. That assumes I remain mostly sedentary. I am 5'9". Right now, my maintenance is 1600ish... at 202. It almost sounds like you are going to have to burn off your weight. A diet change may not do enough for you at your height. (All suggestions. Not a doctor)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    shadowconn wrote: »
    Could you be putting muscle on as fast as you are losing the weight

No...people (women especially) do not put on muscle when eating 1400 calories per day and primarily doing cardio exercise.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are tracking properly and working out a good amount. From your post, there doesn't seem to be a clear reason why you wouldn't be losing a single pound (Are your scales working? Clutching at straws now, I know..!). I'd definitely suggest speaking with your doctor - at least he/she can rule out any underlining medical condition that may be preventing the weight loss.. I hope it all starts going in the right direction for you. I know how frustrating it can be to not visibly see the numbers you want.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I first started the most difficult part of logging was learning to pick the correct entries. I still find some things challenging (I get most of my meat from farms, and sometimes it's hard to match up the correct cut), but others are a lot easier. Produce should be easy -- there are good entries available -- but you need to learn to recognize them.

Anyway, this may not be your issue at all, but here's a thread I found very helpful when I first started: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33829479#Comment_33829479
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    As for the lowering calories question, when I've increased or lowered mine I usually do 100 calories up or down.
  • lindzalexis
    lindzalexis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    When I first started the most difficult part of logging was learning to pick the correct entries. I still find some things challenging (I get most of my meat from farms, and sometimes it's hard to match up the correct cut), but others are a lot easier. Produce should be easy -- there are good entries available -- but you need to learn to recognize them.

Anyway, this may not be your issue at all, but here's a thread I found very helpful when I first started: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33829479#Comment_33829479

The logging can definitely be tricky. All of my meats, vegetables, dairy, and even things like oils, grains, and breads come from small local farms. I love supporting local industry and eating fresh things, but none of it comes with nutritional labels. I'll spend a little more time scrutinizing database entries before I select something.

I'll take a look at that thread, thanks!!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    My suggestion: lower it by 100 calories and take one day off a week where the most you do is walk (and I don't mean walk 30k steps that day...).

Also maybe a FitBit or another activity tracker would help pinpoint your TDEE better? I found mine to be pretty good with giving me credit for dancing and everyday things to help me track my overall activity and add that data to my overall planning.