Me and my 61kg overweight

Options

I am 30 years old, 3 years ago I have weighted 126kg, leading to 61kg overweight. Funny enough my target weight is 62kg, so I do have to lose half of my starting weight. 3 years down the line i have lost 44 kg, and for the last year fighting my last 15 kg.
I thought it will be good for me to put down my story and all thousand and one things i did so that could help and inspire others like me. Maybe somebody will learn from my mistakes or maybe just have a good fun reading it.

I think i tried all the diets that is out there: high protein, low carb, low fat, fasting etc. I think i tried all different types of training: lifting weights, martial arts, dancing, running, you name it I did it. However the most important thing i have learned is that majority of the time it is the emotional baggage that weights us down. We ( obese people) have a story to tell, have our own big elephants in the room, skeletons in the closet and until we face them our old behaviour patterns will come back.
For some food is a safety net, for others is self harming mechanism for me, well, I have never felt that I am good enough for my mother and even though I am successful at my carrier, happy with my life there always had to be one thing that I am failing for her not to love me.

I grow up with emotionally unavailable mother, neglecting mother, and even though I had all i needed nice clothes, pocket money and big present for birthdays she just seemed never to be around and even when she did I felt like she never has time for me, or notice me, or even care about my existence. My weight was growing and growing and growing... Running away from unloved mother I ended in unloving marriage, it just felt like am stuck in my own trap eating myself to num to ignore the fact that I am running away from life itself.

I remember how I was 26 years old, waking up in the morning and thinking is this how my life will be from now, is this how unhappy I will be for the rest of my life. And that moment something click, was it myself conscience or was it my inner child who had enough of neglect kicked hard enough for me to wake up and tell myself: NO MORE! Soon after followed divorce and my relocation to UK. I have realised that i can not be close to my mother, but at the same time I am not strong enough to face her.

I remember how 2013 December few days before Xmas i went to weight watchers meeting. Everybody was telling me to start after new year, but I was determined, time has came to make changes and take over control of my life. More than 2 years and I am still going to ww meetings every single week, I have addiction, I am emotional eater, I need to have control in m life and ww is my control, what is more my ww team leader and ladies in meetings became my friends and my family. I learned how to cook, how to track and most importantly how to recognise factors that triggers my overeating.
However I believe the most important transformation started to happen when i started to see canceller in regards to childhood trauma. Emotionally unavailable mother constantly makes you question what is wrong with you that she is not interested in you, lack of emotions or feelings leaves you num to emotions, especially when it came to romantic relationship. Therapy helped me to realise that I am enough just the way I am, I am good enough, I am great enough, I am smart enough, there is nothing wrong with me, it was something wrong with my mother maybe she was depressed, maybe tired maybe there were so much more that I still don’t know, I am still not ready to face her but at least I no longer angry on her or trying to impress her to get some sort of affirmation from her, even now.
Soon after i started to accept myself, love myself and forgive myself, weight just started to melt because I wasn’t afraid to be great any more, I wasnt afraid to deserve love and I no longer am afraid not to meet somebody’s expectations, because now i got me, now I have someone who loves me unconditionally and will always fight in my corner now I haveME strong an happy.

And my journey is still not over, I have last 15 kg to lose but now I am happy how I look, I am happy who I am. I joined university to do degree in Organisational Psychology as it was always subject of my interest, I am active, I am healthy, I am involved in charity and I love myself which was something that I was never felt deserved.

Im not sure is this letter more for myself to finally say it all out load but I hope this will inspire and help some people as I will be posting my day to day activities here. My transformation is not over I just hope that you will help me accomplish it :)

Replies

• Mghaith88
    Mghaith88 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wow
  • sakurablush
    sakurablush Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Amazing and inspiration story, thank you.

I wish you luck on your goals to come, and congrats for what you've achieved so far. It's wonderful you're forgiving and appreciating yourself now.
  • hareeshch
    hareeshch Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Very Inspiring story. Thanks for sharing.
    Good to know that you realized that happiness is within you and not with others. Now you will see the world in a totally different way. Have fun!!
  • mummynat1979
    mummynat1979 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was 120kg and have lost 20 kg so far. Ur story reminds me of mine in a way. I came from an abusive family and have spent my whole life emotionally eating. I'm now 36 and finally decided to help myself cause I wanna be around for my children. Ur an inspiration and u make me wanna try that bit harder .
    Natalia
  • eivy_adams
    eivy_adams Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So for those who interested in what i am doing this is a quick insight to my new initiatives LOL as I said me and my overweight we been friends for some time so i do need to come up with new ways to burn it down 

TRAINING: I very recently discovered running and even at the beginning I really hated it now I’m really enjoying myself specially that it brings different goals ( not only weight loss) but run 5 km or 10km. So i downloaded runkeeper app and from it bought a running plane ( 10km in 16 weeks in 60 min). I paid 7.99£ for a plan and it is 16 weeks training plan with 3-4 trainings a week. I really like it because it tells you what days to run, during the run it tells you when to slow down or when to really try and push it and what is so amazing that my first run was 10 min (5min run/5 min walk) and i was really suffering and now im doing 50 min running non stop AMAZING!!! So my next target is to do 10 km run by Xmas !!!! running 3-4 times a week.
    Those days that i am not running Im doing weight loss yoga. I have found some amazing free videos on youtube that is no longer than 20 min ( i train in the morning) and its for beginners so i could manage to do exercises. So its good stretch after the running day and its good flexibility and you will be surprised how much you will sweat 
    What is more I have bought a new toy Jawbone up24 wrist band. It is tracking my steps and the cool thing its start vibrating if i am not active for more than 30 min, so now i have a new habbit rather than having a bottle of water on my desk i go to get a glass of water every 10-15 min to the kitchen  Prevents my Up24 from vibrating and Im gaining my steps  plus its really good fun 

FOOD: Most important thing that I have learned is that planning is a key. I know what i will be eating every day for the hall week. Every Thursday i print my food plan for next week planning lunches out if i have client meetings, having dinners out or in. So if I have client lunch, I will have very light dinner. Or if I have dinner out with friends I will have just salad for lunch. What is more I prepare my food plan for a week and cook my lunch and dinner for a week. Usually I make 4 days lunch ready and big ball of soup to have in a fridge for dinner. One day a week Im having a fasting day, its not really full fasting but Im trying to keep to less than 500kcal per day. I usually make big smoothly and drink it during all day or I have natural yogurt with 3-4 apples. You can find loads of literature in internet to read about value of fasting days. And of course what is most important I have heavy meals first part of the day and lighter once in evening and I track everything that i put in my mouth. I am full vegetarian and i don’t eat no fright food as I learned to say – My body is my temple... so if i do have something to celebrate i will rather go to cinema or buy new make up item than buy cake or dinner out 

So thats my new initiatives that I will be doing till Xmas 