College student begins taking weightloss seriously

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm a junior in college right now. I've always weighed more than I've wanted to in high school, but I was actually rather stick-thin. In college, though, I've packed on the pounds with pizza, pad thai, chinese food, and wayyyy too much chips. I've gained about 30 pounds in the last two or three years.

I realized that I was actually fat, when my BMI tag hit that line right between overweigh and OBESE. The word "obese" scared the crap out of me.

I hate telling people I'm going on diets because it makes me really self-conscious. I'm hoping that you guys here will be my weigh loss buddies and keep me going.

Please add me if you want a buddy, because I sure do need one!

Replies

• cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    hey! i am in college too and id love to support you! feel free to send me friend request if you would like
  • sweetseraph7
    Options
    Hey I went down that road with college. I started college in 2002 and weighed 165 lbs - now I'm at 280 lbs (all from college and my love for mcdonalds and chips and soda) but you can do it!!! You'll lose it in no time. Now I'm trying to do the same and get rid of all of the fat that I have. Good luck on your journy!
  • mlweaver89
    mlweaver89 Posts: 35
    Options
    Ugh, I totally understand where you're coming from. The dorm I lived in at college had a c-store on the main floor, and all those evenings studying and stuffing my face with Cheetohs really packed on the pounds quick. Add me and we'll do this together!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!

*add me as a friend if you'd like :)

I am in college also and in my first year, gained 30 pounds!! It was definitely.. different and unflattering.

I am currently a senior and my school is freaking crazy as I'm sure yours is too! But you CAN fit in exercise and eating healthy ..over time you will find a way!! :)

You will do great on this site.. there is lots of great information on the forums. when I first signed up, I was like.. "i got this on my own.." and didn't reach out for the support - but I'm SO GLAD that I finally did!

You can do this!! Good luck!!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    edit* oops double post :)
  • bacarter18
    bacarter18 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm with ya! I've been up 30 pounds for the last couple of years... I know I'm getting older and my metabolism is getting slower (but hello, I'm 25! lol)... annnnnd I've been eating crappy, eating out, eating whatever I want, OVEReating, eating too fast, munching, over-doing the sugar and pop and chips and pizza and chinese... hmm you get the gist ;) and NOT exercising! I've always "tried" to lose weight... I actually did Weight Watchers and lost 30 pounds in 6 months... but after not keeping up with it... I gained it back ;| I got lazy and no longer wanted to work out. It finally clicked in me one day... HEY! I can do this! I NEED to do this... and I WANT to do this! In just one month I've lost 7 pounds and am quite proud of myself ;) I enjoy logging into MFP each day, seeing what friends are doing... and encouraging others. I understand your struggles in college.... it can also be hard to eat better when you're trying to skimp on costs ;) but if you keep with it, you'll see the change... and just that change will motivate you :):):)

GOOD LUCK!!! :)
  • ashcrashly
    ashcrashly Posts: 14
    Options
    I just graduated and I'm starting to focus more on my health. I gained almost 30 pounds during college. The times I lost weight however were due to careful planning. I bought food i could pre-package myself into bags i could just grab. Much healthier than that sudden urge to buy a jumbo jack to get through the next class. You can do it!
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I gained in college too. I'm trying to lose what I gained.
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Double post. Sorry about that.
  • twilightfan20
    twilightfan20 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm heading into my senior year at LSU and with all the new dining locations they're placing on the campus, I completely understand where you're coming from. Feel free to add me, and the same for everyone else. We could all use some extra support.