When it doesn't look the way you imagined

Options
Hello all. Been plugging away for a while and have lost 22 pounds and 16.5 inches in total. However my clothing size has not changed and no one can tell I've lost weight (even when I point it out and do a fancy twirl) It's disappointing... In my mind 22 pounds is a significant loss. I'm 5'9 and starting weight was 195. I trust the process and am not going to give up... But I officially feel kind of sad. Any helpful thoughts or kind words would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    How are you losing inches but your clothing size hasn't changed? That makes no sense to me. If your body parts are smaller around then your clothes should be getting loose. Are they not?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Been plugging away for a while and have lost 22 pounds and 16.5 inches in total. However my clothing size has not changed and no one can tell I've lost weight (even when I point it out and do a fancy twirl) It's disappointing... In my mind 22 pounds is a significant loss. I'm 5'9 and starting weight was 195. I trust the process and am not going to give up... But I officially feel kind of sad. Any helpful thoughts or kind words would be greatly appreciated!

Where did you lose the inches that your clothing sizes haven't changed? And remember, people that see you every day won't notice the change as much. It's usually a subtle difference when you've got a larger amount of weight to lose, so don't give them too hard of a time. Keep going and don't stress over it too much. You'll get there.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    22lbs and 16 inches is significant enough to notice, and your clothes should be pretty loose by now. Something doesn't add up here.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 22lbs! If you can keep on trusting the process, you will get to where you want to go. Do you feel any better? Easier to climb stairs etc?
  • iwearthejumper32
    iwearthejumper32 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    How are you losing inches but your clothing size hasn't changed? That makes no sense to me. If your body parts are smaller around then your clothes should be getting loose. Are they not?

It doesn't make sense to me either! Haha. Everything still fits just fine. I'm apple shaped and tall... So I guess I'm losing more from the parts that my pants don't care about. I must have been more sausaged into my clothes than I was aware of. Also large breasts are still hangin in there so my shirts fit the same. The only thing I've really noticed it sharper shin bones. So something is happening... But not enough to high five myself at this point.
  • crystallee85
    crystallee85 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am having a similar problem. I have lost 21lbs since April and none of my clothes fit but when I take my monthly photos or look in the mirror I see the same shape and size as my largest. I am still motivated but a bit discouraged at the same time.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

It doesn't make sense to me either! Haha. Everything still fits just fine. I'm apple shaped and tall... So I guess I'm losing more from the parts that my pants don't care about. I must have been more sausaged into my clothes than I was aware of. Also large breasts are still hangin in there so my shirts fit the same. The only thing I've really noticed it sharper shin bones. So something is happening... But not enough to high five myself at this point.
    Now that makes sense. If your clothes were tight before and they fit better now that's a big improvement, though, right? And 22 pounds is most certainly something to high 5 yourself over. You're over 1/3 of the way to your goal!
  • iwearthejumper32
    Options
    Congrats on losing 22lbs! If you can keep on trusting the process, you will get to where you want to go. Do you feel any better? Easier to climb stairs etc?

Thank you! I sleep better and I'm hungry for breakfast now... Both are big changes for me.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

Now that makes sense. If your clothes were tight before and they fit better now that's a big improvement, though, right? And 22 pounds is most certainly something to high 5 yourself over. You're over 1/3 of the way to your goal!

Yeah that definitely makes more sense. I'm down nearly 19lbs now and I have a lot of clothes that fit me-although tight-that fit more comfortably now. A few items, like my old work slacks, fall right off.
  • iwearthejumper32
    Options

Everything you're saying is logical and helpful! I'm going to officially give myself more credit. Thank you!!!