PMS: How to overcome the chocolate cravings during PMS?

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Here here...

trader-joes-brownie-crisps.png?w=590
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Eat some chocolate!

Yep. Don't deprive yourself.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Here here...

These are soooo good! So are the Brownie Brittle from Safeway.
  • ellarishee
    ellarishee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough, during my TOM I crave chocolate so so much, (and all other sweet things) but I do my best not to give in to the craving.

Normally, I include chocolate into my day almost daily, and can feel that my sweet tooth is satisfied after just one taste. But during my TOM if I put one square of chocolate in my mouth all my self control seems to melt away and I find I've eaten an entire box of mini meringues.. My food diary from Saturday until today is evidence of this!

I think it's about what finding what works for you. I fit daily treats comfortably in to my calorie goal on a normal day, but avoid them like the plague on my period, because once I start I find it really difficult to stop!

Like other's have said, depriving yourself of treats completely is a recipe for disaster, so maybe consider including these treats in to your regular routine, and maybe during your TOM the cravings might not hit you as hard.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    coffee satisfies the chocolate need pretty well. Caffeine is in both and helps cramps. Sip some black coffee or better yet, get some high quality dark chocolate with sea salt. It is so rich you can't really pig out on it. Eat it slowly and really take the time to savor it. I need some now too lol!
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    for me chocolate must melt on your hand. I have the occassional Lindt Ball. One of them. Nothing else satisfies. Its okay to have a LITTLE, and honestly the first mouthful is the most satisfying.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Chocolate cravings relative to PMS are a learned behaviour. Either unlearn it or indulge yourself a bit. Can't hurt ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    ellarishee wrote: »
    Funnily enough, during my TOM I crave chocolate so so much, (and all other sweet things) but I do my best not to give in to the craving.

Normally, I include chocolate into my day almost daily, and can feel that my sweet tooth is satisfied after just one taste. But during my TOM if I put one square of chocolate in my mouth all my self control seems to melt away and I find I've eaten an entire box of mini meringues.. My food diary from Saturday until today is evidence of this!

I'm that way during PMS. I can eat anything in moderation the rest of the time, but if I even have one treat during that week... forget it. It typically ends up with me 1000 calories over my goal.

During TOM, the first day or two can be a bit harder (today is the first day and I wasn't hungry but wanted to snack all day, so I went a bit over my goal with two of those TJs brownie crisps, which I had forgotten about until the kids got them out - thanks kids). After that I'm fine my appetite and hunger go way down and I'm ok with eating things in moderation again.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Eat the chocolate.
    Savor the chocolate.
    Enjoy the chocolate.

giphy.gif
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Eat chocolate and not go nuts!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I do eat (small amounts of high quality) chocolate because I like it, but chocolate cravings can be a sign of a magnesium deficiency:

What your choccy cravings are trying to tell you

...While we all get peckish, there’s a difference between feeling hungry and having a sudden urge for a specific food. In fact, intense food cravings can be a sign you’re deficient in certain nutrients.

So, the next time all you can think about is a juicy steak, Dairy Milk or even ice, pay attention to what your body is trying to tell you and try one of our clever food swaps . . .

YOU CRAVE: CHOCOLATE

WHAT IT MEANS:
    Chocolate is rich in magnesium, so strong cravings could indicate a deficiency in a mineral vital for your skin and hair.

What’s more, levels of the mineral drop during the second half of your menstrual cycle, suggesting a possible link with many of the symptoms of PMS.

‘Drinking too much alcohol, tea, coffee and fizzy drinks can also deplete levels of magnesium,’ says Nicola Lowe, professor of nutritional sciences at the University of Central Lancashire.

TRY: If it has to be chocolate, opt for one that contains at least 75 per cent cocoa, as this will contain more magnesium and less sugar.

Nuts are actually a richer source, particularly Brazils. Leafy green veg are also good, as are brown rice, wholemeal bread, and pumpkin seeds — though not quite so moreish.

If you’re a chocoholic and suffer from PMS symptoms such as irritability, headaches, cramps and bloating, it may be worth trying a magnesium supplement

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2721369/What-choccy-cravings-trying-tell-not-mention-yearning-cheese-meat-rice.html#ixzz3f7sXvGy3
  • emily_fox
    emily_fox Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I do eat (small amounts of high quality) chocolate because I like it, but chocolate cravings can be a sign of a magnesium deficiency:

...While we all get peckish, there’s a difference between feeling hungry and having a sudden urge for a specific food. In fact, intense food cravings can be a sign you’re deficient in certain nutrients.

So, the next time all you can think about is a juicy steak, Dairy Milk or even ice, pay attention to what your body is trying to tell you and try one of our clever food swaps . . .

WHAT IT MEANS:
    Chocolate is rich in magnesium, so strong cravings could indicate a deficiency in a mineral vital for your skin and hair.

What’s more, levels of the mineral drop during the second half of your menstrual cycle, suggesting a possible link with many of the symptoms of PMS.

‘Drinking too much alcohol, tea, coffee and fizzy drinks can also deplete levels of magnesium,’ says Nicola Lowe, professor of nutritional sciences at the University of Central Lancashire.

TRY: If it has to be chocolate, opt for one that contains at least 75 per cent cocoa, as this will contain more magnesium and less sugar.

Nuts are actually a richer source, particularly Brazils. Leafy green veg are also good, as are brown rice, wholemeal bread, and pumpkin seeds — though not quite so moreish.

If you’re a chocoholic and suffer from PMS symptoms such as irritability, headaches, cramps and bloating, it may be worth trying a magnesium supplement

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2721369/What-choccy-cravings-trying-tell-not-mention-yearning-cheese-meat-rice.html#ixzz3f7sXvGy3

Thank you! Very interesting
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Kashama2001 posted what I would have said. I used to have severe chocolate cravings. It was so bad that it affected my mood and my manager at my last job made sure t have some on hand for me every day. My co-workers busted their tails on a contest and won the store a $500 Hershey chocolate party package.... for me.

Anyway then I learned the information posted above and started taking the supplement it mentions and those cravings went away. I do still want toms chocolate and enjoy a piece of high quality dark pretty regularly, but the supplement did do the trick when I wanted to eat it by the pound to feel okay.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Its not the chocolate cravings that kill me...its the EAT ALL THE FOOOOOD!!! cravings that kill me.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

WHAT IT MEANS:

great info.! now i know why my new chocolate snack choice for the last two months works well for me during PMS times, 1-2 serving keeps me happy for the day and apparently contains lots of decent magnesium foods in it (sesame & sunflower seeds, dried dates, cocoa, soybeans...). not into supplements but, i will have to try blending extra leafy greens and eating some brazilian nuts later this month to see if that helps with the grumpiness and bloating..

• drsbeautygmailcom890
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Here here...

Yum yum yummu.. Lol