I am a big fan of coke

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    o was drinking a 1.5 l bottle of coke a day, i have since stopped but i love the taste so i have glass of come zero a day with dinner. Coke zero has zero calories.

If you like it drink it.

Me....nah, I don't like coke at all, but I love Zevia cream soda and drink some every single day. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    owensy12 wrote: »
    Those were just a few links from Google. I've just read a lot of stuff about Artificial Sweetener. I personally don't drink any 'diet' drinks. If they don't contain sugar to make them taste sweet, then what the hell do they contain? Plus there's evidence to suggest that when you taste the sweet in diet soda, your body perceives it as sugar and causes the pancreas to release insulin just as it would if you were consuming actual sugar.

It's just my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners, just as there is nothing wrong with sugar or soda, or any other food. Moderation in all things. ;)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    I am an addict of Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper :D:D

I NEVER see this. Wish I did. I just started drinking diet sodas and Dr. Pepper and diet A&W I love.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    maidentl wrote: »
    Those were just a few links from Google. I've just read a lot of stuff about Artificial Sweetener. I personally don't drink any 'diet' drinks. If they don't contain sugar to make them taste sweet, then what the hell do they contain? Plus there's evidence to suggest that when you taste the sweet in diet soda, your body perceives it as sugar and causes the pancreas to release insulin just as it would if you were consuming actual sugar.

It's just my opinion.

You get your own opinions but not your own facts. If diet soda did this, then doctors would not be recommending it to their diabetic patients. Unless you are a person who has some sort of adverse reaction to diet soda, it's fine to drink it in normal quantities. I would not recommend 16-18 as mentioned above. :laugh:

Doctors used to recommend cigarettes as well.

Very big difference between the two. Cigarettes cause cancer, and second hand smoke can cause cancer in people who don't smoke. I've never heard of a cola causing cancer, and I'm sure nobody is ever affected by second-hand soda fumes.
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    I am an addict of Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper :D:D

I NEVER see this. Wish I did. I just started drinking diet sodas and Dr. Pepper and diet A&W I love.
    You should try to find the Diet Cherry Dr.Pepper then, it's really very good, probably in my top 2 of diet soda actually :)
    mathjulz wrote: »
    Diet soda contain a chemical called aspartame. It doesn't take much research on this chemical to realise that it isn't good for you. No sodas or diet sodas are good for you, they contain no nutritional value!

What about aspartame is not good for you?

You do know that it's simply a modified protein, right?

There has been an abundance of empirical research on it. Nothing has panned out showing it be harmful in general (the exception being those with sensitivity or PKU). The articles stating all the horrors aren't backed up by any research. I could do a bit of online browsing and find some websites claiming everything revolves around the earth. Doesn't make it true, though.
    Thank you for having sense :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Here I am celebrating achieving under 200 pounds.
    IMG_2118-MOTION.gif

Aspartame all the way, baby.

I like it!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

It's just my opinion.

You get your own opinions but not your own facts. If diet soda did this, then doctors would not be recommending it to their diabetic patients. Unless you are a person who has some sort of adverse reaction to diet soda, it's fine to drink it in normal quantities. I would not recommend 16-18 as mentioned above. :laugh:

Very big difference between the two. Cigarettes cause cancer, and second hand smoke can cause cancer in people who don't smoke. I've never heard of a cola causing cancer, and I'm sure nobody is ever affected by second-hand soda fumes.

I don't know, have you ever smelled Dr. Pepper? :sick:

• SLLRunner
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

It's just my opinion.

I don't know, have you ever smelled Dr. Pepper? :sick:

Ha, I love the smell of Dr. Pepper, and I love Diet Dr. Pepper. Haven't had any in a long time, though.
  • owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Drink what you want. My view on diet sodas is that they trick your body into thinking it's getting sugar, and it's not, thus increasing your cravings for sweet things.

Go into any fast food outlet or supermarket and you will see overweight people ordering large meals with diet cokes, or have trolleys full of sweets and crisps etc, and they will undoubtably have a few bottles of Diet something in there, like that makes it all ok.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Drink what you want. My view on diet sodas is that they trick your body into thinking it's getting sugar, and it's not, thus increasing your cravings for sweet things.

Go into any fast food outlet or supermarket and you will see overweight people ordering large meals with diet cokes, or have trolleys full of sweets and crisps etc, and they will undoubtably have a few bottles of Diet something in there, like that makes it all ok.

Wow. So judgemental of other people's food choices. How do you know they don't just like the taste better? (I personally hate regular soda). Or they could be in the process of losing weight. Or......it could be none of your damn business and stop judging others.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Diet soda contain a chemical called aspartame. It doesn't take much research on this chemical to realise that it isn't good for you. No sodas or diet sodas are good for you, they contain no nutritional value!
    It doesn't take much research to find out aliens built the pyramids of Gizeh either.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options

They dont do this to me.

I don't get cravings for sweet things after drinking diet sodas.

Come to my place - I am within healthy weight range and I have diet coke - sometimes also sweets crisps etc ( in sensible portion amounts) sometimes not.
    Yes I think it makes it all ok.
  • quackers82
    quackers82 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I only drink real coke now. I have learned if i consume anything diet/zero i get massive sugar cravings a bit after and i just want to eat and eat and eat, or if i have LOTS of it i get blood shot eyes. Plus diet/zero tastes absolutely disgusting.

Pop/Soda is suppose to be a treat, so 1 can of 138 calories once a week is nothing bad. Having it every day or switching to the diet version and drinking it all day long means you have not fixed the problem.

As for the are artificial sweeter bad/good argument, you cannot get away from one fact. Aspartame is the most controversial food additive in history.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    quackers82 wrote: »

As for the are artificial sweeter bad/good argument, you cannot get away from one fact. Aspartame is the most controversial studied food additive in history.

FTFY

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Excuse you. First and foremost, even as a fat person I am still required to eat to live. So yes when I go to a restaurant and order food, I do think it's okay. Not because of the diet soda I order, but because as a human being I am entitled to eat, thank you very much. I don't know if my meal would constitute "large" to you, nor do I care because it's none of your business. Even when I was not counting calories I drank diet soda because that's what I drink, I never have regular soda. I am not stupid enough to think I was somehow offsetting the calories but I appreciate the jab at the intelligence of overweight people. You realize we don't lose brain cells as we gain fat cells, right?
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Whats A&W. Is it like Dandelion & Burdock?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A & W is a second string fast food joint. I love their root beer (comes in diet).
    a_w.jpg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I prefer my savoury foods, but I do enjoy anything that stimulates my taste buds. That includes plain soda water (tingles), ginger, garlic, pepper, and aspartame. You could verify with my husband. It's not sweets that are my downfall. His stash is full of candies, chocolates, and sweets. Mine is toast. So aspartame has not shown any magical abilities to create cravings I've never had.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    257_Lag wrote: »
    Anyone ever have Coke Light? It's not available in the US but I love it when traveling in other countries. Coke zero is my coke of choice here at home.

Coke light is just Diet Coke. =/

Coca-Cola-Light.jpg

Not exactly. Coke light is sweetened with a substance that is banned in the US but available in plenty of other countries. I hate diet coke but I like coke light. My wife drinks diet coke all the time and prefers coke light when she can get it.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Wow. So judgemental of other people's food choices. How do you know they don't just like the taste better? (I personally hate regular soda). Or they could be in the process of losing weight. Or......it could be none of your damn business and stop judging others.

I agree; I drink diet coke not because of the minimal calorie content (although that is a bonus), but because I prefer the taste, and I hate how 'fuzzy' my teeth feel after drinking regular coke, plus regular makes me really gassy....no one wants that :p

I'm at a healthy weight and will happily go to a restaurant or do a shop which will include pizza, garlic bread, ice cream, and a bottle of diet coke. Is it Ok for me to do that because I'm a healthy weight?