Water burning Calories?

Options
Looking on-line it seems that there are several places that have a calorie burn for water consumption. I am drinking about 12-16 cups of water a day. Question is where and how is that accounted for or is it? If not then should it factor or are the on-line estimates bunk. Again the focus here is 100% on the WATER not the rest of the diet or exercise plan.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    mlaccs wrote: »
    Looking on-line it seems that there are several places that have a calorie burn for water consumption. I am drinking about 12-16 cups of water a day. Question is where and how is that accounted for or is it? If not then should it factor or are the on-line estimates bunk. Again the focus here is 100% on the WATER not the rest of the diet or exercise plan.

I would chalk that one up to myth. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Everything burns calories. Breathing burns calories. It is factored into your BMR.
  • mlaccs
    mlaccs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't think I like SLLRunner anymore. :(
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I don't think I like SLLRunner anymore. :(

Aw. That hurt my feelings. :D

If drinking water burns calories, than so much drinking any beverage or eating. However, as it has already been said...
    Everything burns calories. Breathing burns calories. It is factored into your BMR.

mlaccs, do you have a source to back up that drinking water burns calories?
  • Hummingbird914
    Hummingbird914 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I heard it was ice water that does
  • mlaccs
    Options
    @Alatariel75 this is a simple google search. All kinds of fun stuff including variables on water temp. I know it ALL has to be true since it is on the Internet and Al Gore would never be responsible for an untrue statement. :smiley:
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Only if you're drinking it while taking a cold shower. And standing on your head.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    @Alatariel75 this is a simple google search. All kinds of fun stuff including variables on water temp. I know it ALL has to be true since it is on the Internet and Al Gore would never be responsible for an untrue statement. :smiley:

I was the one who asked for the sources. :)

I wasn't sure if your initial posting was tongue-in-cheek, but it seems it is. ;)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I know what you're reading, and nothing I am saying is less than true. Merely existing burns calories. Digesting burns calories, Healing burns calories. Of course drinking water burns calories. The idea of a BMR is that it encompasses the calories you burn while existing. Calorie counting is such an inexact science (I burn more calories walking to work on days when the wind is coming from the north, for example) that starting to account for something as niche as calories burned by drinking water is completely useless.
  • mlaccs
    Options
    I really am drinking a LOT of water. I am on a very bad crash diet and need to dump 10 pound in ten days for a scale weigh-in then expect most of it to come back and I get to better eating. Again, it is all about a required Scale weigh in and the motivation is there. last 7 days I have increased workouts and am on about 1,200 calories a day and actually feel good with a drop of 6 pounds. Figure that the last 24 hours will be water weight drop and I can act like a High School Wrestler again.
  • mlaccs
    Options
    All makes sense. I kinda KNOW that water is not the answer. it DOES stop hunger and seems to be good so that is kind of enough.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Neil DeGrasse Tyson has posted this before.
    If you do the math, raising one liter of water by one degree Celsius takes 1 food calorie worth of energy. So if you take ice water at roughly 0 C and raise it to roughly body temperature (25 C), it would use around 25 calories.
    This is assuming you're in an environment where your body is actively spending energy to keep warm.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    All makes sense. I kinda KNOW that water is not the answer. it DOES stop hunger and seems to be good so that is kind of enough.

Drinking water will stop hunger for the brief amount of time it's actually in your stomach - then it passes through and your brain realizes that there's no caloric value being absorbed and will demand food.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    If you do the math, raising one liter of water by one degree Celsius takes 1 food calorie worth of energy. So if you take ice water at roughly 0 C and raise it to roughly body temperature (25 C), it would use around 25 calories.
    This is assuming you're in an environment where your body is actively spending energy to keep warm.
    So about one pound of fat per 35 gallons of ice water. Sweet.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    So about one pound of fat per 35 gallons of ice water. Sweet.

tumblr_inline_nab74d86HP1qzgziy.gif
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options

Even better, you can drink a kilo of liquid Nitrogen (Nitrogen is harmless, it's ~78% of our atmosphere).

Liquid Nitrogen is at -196C (-321F), so drinking a kilo (~1.2 liters) you would need to burn ~230kcal to bring it to body temp.

Your coroner will be extremely impressed with your lean (and exploded) physique.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I guess in the same way that breathing burns calories. Temperature has nothing to do with it.

Also, while some people feel fuller by drinking more water, that doesn't work on me. If I'm hungry, a glass of water just makes me not thirsty anymore and want something salty to eat.