Getting Accurate Calorie Burn while on a Treadmill

Options
Hi MFPals,

I come to you with a frustrating topic. I am fully aware why the number on the treadmill is not a reliable one.

This frustrates me after a treadmill workout, because I am not sure what exercise calorie amount to put in. Does anyone have any recommendations to get an accurate number?

Some websites recommended some type of gadgets, some recommended manual calculations, and others were all over the place. I want to hear from you guys what you do personally (besides not logging the workout).

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Just enter the MFP number and move on
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    All the numbers you see on MFP or anywhere are just estimates. You need to track your calories accurately by keeping track of your food intake for a month with calorie burns. Note your weight during this period. If it's going down then you are golden. If not, you need adjust the calorie in or the calorie out.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Just put the thing at 2% incline, and then plug the walking and running distances into MFP. Cut the walking number in half, and the running number by a third.

Done.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    HailDawgs wrote: »
    Hi MFPals,

I come to you with a frustrating topic. I am fully aware why the number on the treadmill is not a reliable one.

This frustrates me after a treadmill workout, because I am not sure what exercise calorie amount to put in. Does anyone have any recommendations to get an accurate number?

Some websites recommended some type of gadgets, some recommended manual calculations, and others were all over the place. I want to hear from you guys what you do personally (besides not logging the workout).

Thank you in advance!

Agree with all the other comments about not getting too caught up in chasing precision with workout calories.

If you enter your weight and don't hold on to the handrails, the number on the treadmill will be as accurate as you can get without laboratory measurement. That article you cited was not particularly well-informed

• paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I use a polar Bluetooth heart rate monitor which links to my iPhone apparently more accurate than your average treadmill readout and it always gives me a lower reading than any of the gym equipment displays
  • HailDawgs
    HailDawgs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    If you're that worried about calorie burn you could get a heart rate monitor, I've heard people say their calorie burns off their fitbit HR are pretty close. Or just eat back half your exercise calories, monitor your weight, adjust as necessary. Good luck!