Your opinion on weight loss pills

Options
babyrko
babyrko Posts: 10 Member
edited September 2015 in Getting Started
i am dieting as well as getting with my personal trainer couple of times a week. But my doctor introduced mento a pill that I am considering. It pretty much suppresses your appetite.....did you guys use weight loss pills before? :/

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    If you need a pill to suppress your appetite, then you'll ALWAYS need it. Habits get formed by consistency. Be consist by learning how to eat less and you'll learn how to naturally suppress your own appetite.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • babyrko
    babyrko Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Man. I can be the perfect person to watch my diet but as soon it hits like 7pm-ish I get so hungry even though I eat 1600cal a day and sometimes I still have like 400 cal left but all I want to do is eat like chips and junky stuff..it's always at night!

ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you need a pill to suppress your appetite, then you'll ALWAYS need it. Habits get formed by consistency. Be consist by learning how to eat less and you'll learn how to naturally suppress your own appetite.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    babyrko wrote: »
    Man. I can be the perfect person to watch my diet but as soon it hits like 7pm-ish I get so hungry even though I eat 1600cal a day and sometimes I still have like 400 cal left but all I want to do is eat like chips and junky stuff..it's always at night!

ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Then eat less in the day. I eat up to 11:30pm every night out of habit. My DD is asleep and I can watch my shows that are suitable for children to watch. And I snack while watching. I just don't exceed my total calorie intake before bed.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I have never seen a weight loss pill that did not contain "This product works best when combined with a healthy diet and regular exercise", which pretty much makes the pill redundant.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm with Ninerbuff, if you want to lose for life, you have to learn to do it yourself. Having something reduce your appetite for you won't help when you need to stop taking it. I like to eat in the evening, so I structure my day so I can. I'm a volume eater, so I pad my meals with veg and low cal options, so I still have lots of calories left for the evening. On the whole I don't have a high opinion of weight loss pills at all. Most don't work and the ones that do tend to have horrid side effects.
  • clairelouise276
    clairelouise276 Posts: 8 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I think you should carry on without it, you are losing weight now so you can do it without pills.

24900400.png
  • outlifting
    outlifting Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    babyrko wrote: »
    i am dieting as well as getting with my personal trainer couple of times a week. But my doctor introduced mento a pill that I am considering. It pretty much suppresses your appetite.....did you guys use weight loss pills before? :/

I have tried weight loss pills before but i didn't stick with it because i just felt i was cheating a bit and i want to do it the hard way, the way people want to avoid because then you are more satisfied with your results bit thats just me.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    I have never seen a weight loss pill that did not contain "This product works best when combined with a healthy diet and regular exercise", which pretty much makes the pill redundant.

I couldn't agree more with this.
    The trouble with doctors is they tend to dish out pills before looking at the route cause of the problem. There are other ways to surpress your appetite - you don't need to be medicated for enjoying food. Save a good amount of calories for the evening and have your 'junk' (if it fits within your deficit) then. Eat food that will fill you up and most importantly, find that willpower and hang on to it. If your goal is important, don't sabotage it :)
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I've not taken weight loss pills, although given the effective ad campaigns I have been sorely tempted at times. However, I suspect that the ad campaigns exaggerate the benefits and I prefer to lose weight in a way I know is healthy and has no side effects. My suggestion is to try MFP and ypur personal trainer for a couple of months, and if you've lost nothing in that time go back to the doc.

A small tip on MFP - weigh everything in grams and don't use measuring cups or spoons for anything except liquids. It's really easy for additional calories to sneak in. Check out the sexy pants guide.

Another small tip - if your personal trainer tries to put you on a crazy diet, wheat free/ dairy free / paleontology / gluten free / dr whatever's magic diet etc. do some research into the effectiveness. I had a personal trainer recommend cutting dairy for weight loss, which actually doesn't help if you're not tracking total calories and can leave you deficient in calcium.

Good luck!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    no...no