Lost 10lbs...see no difference

Options

Replies

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 20lbs and barely anyone has commented. *shrug* It's difficult for people who see you day to day to notice gradual change. And while 10lbs sounds like a lot, it's not always noticeable when it's spread over your body. Plus clothes can easily disguise a loss. Sometimes I look in the mirror and try to figure out where it's all come from - I have to look back at my first progress pictures to remind myself!
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    The first 10 means that your existing, too tight, clothes, start to fit. Which is not a small thing.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I am at 22 lbs lost and I thought no one noticed. However, it was really that no one SAID anything. When I turned down a Frostyt's Donut at work the other day, that is when I got some " I noticed you look slimmer!" comments. People noticed, they just didn't say anything.

I agree also, that 10lbs may not be that noticeable if it is lost over all your body. Wearing clothes that are a bit baggy may hide that loss as well.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm really little - 5ft - and every pound put on shows straight away around my middle. Conversely every pound I lose shows too. I have lost 6lbs so far (161 - 155) and my family and close neighbour have already said they can see I'm slimmer. There are so many negatives about being short it's nice to find a positive lol.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people notice but are hesitant to say something because they respect your privacy and don't want to intrude. Cancer treatment, for example, can often result in weight loss.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ive lost 70 and dont see a difference in the mirror. i see it in pictures though LOL

10 pounds isnt much.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Are you taking pictures every 4-8 weeks? 10 pounds will be noticeable in pictures but not in a mirror when you can't accurately remember what you looked like prior.

I started at 167-ish and am 144 now. I take pics every month - same mirror/pose/angle/swimsuit. It's a huge motivation to create side-by-sides just for me.
  • jenn10302001
    jenn10302001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 10 lbs! You're at the same weight and height I'm starting at - want to be weight loss buddies?

I would take measurements, that's what I'm going to try to and focus on more than just the weight itself. Also, just to echo what others are saying, people can be hesitant to say anything about your size because they don't want to imply you had weight to lose.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You are making great progress!
    I didn't notice much difference in my body visually in progress photos until I had lost 15-20 lbs. I felt different before that though.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    great progress! Keep it up!

I was once in your shoes. When I lost 25 lbs and no one said anything, I was a little peeved. I had to stop looking for outsiders to validate my hard work.

70 lbs later, people still don't really say much and that's okay.

or your own documentation take weekly photos once you begin comparing those you will be astounded.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I've lost 27lb and very few people make comments (only family really).

However, it is pretty easy to see. My shirt sleeves used to be tight around my arms and now they are lose. My belt was on the 1st hole and are now on the 5th (4" difference). Sometimes it takes a bit to notice the changes even yourself unless you compare it to something that hasn't changed size or a picture.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have been taking pictures. I took one at the beginning of summer 2 months ago and one jst recently and the only difference I see is I'm tanned lol! I will keep it up! Thanks everyone for the great input

• afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Starting from the highest weight my body settles at when I am not doing anything about it, I have accepted it takes a loss of 50 pounds before anyone notices within my immediate family - and then they all act like I have dropped the weight overnight and find it very shocking, lol. Outside of immediate family, people are just now starting to notice, and I am down 70 pounds now. I had a "Good Lord, I have lost weight," moment for the first time just the other day when I looked at myself in the mirror. But I'm much larger than you, OP. Just something to consider when you're feeling down about 10 pounds not seeming to make a difference.

Oh, and some people, even if they do notice, will never comment for various reasons.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    And to help you feel better, obvious to you or others or not, here is 10 pounds of fat in the form of butter:

0x3kwg59iffs.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    My clothes noticed when I lost 10 # but my eyes did not.
  • AdmireDeVoll
    AdmireDeVoll Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    They say it takes 4 weeks for you to notice a change, 4 weeks for friends and family and they don't notice unless it's over 10 pounds. Keep going they will and you will notice soon enough
  • joannprussell
    joannprussell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I don't want to take away from you reaching your goal but I just don't think 10 pounds is very visible.

I would even go as far to say 10 pounds would be hard to see even if you measured your waist or arms etc

But keep it up assuming you have more to lose. I'm
    Not sure what a healthy weight is for shorter people.

Something that seems to help people is to imagine 10 pounds of peanut butter. Smear that all over your body, it's likely to not make a very thick layer.

The peanut butter comment was hilarious! I also just lost 10 lbs and can't tell....but that comment just made my day!!!
    lol
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The first person to say something was a neighbor who noticed when I was down 27 pounds. Then coworkers started commenting at ~40. I'm down 64 right now, and when my coworkers and I returned from summer break this week, I received *tons* of compliments, even though I was down 50 by the end of June.

Hang in there!!
  • insearchofcheese
    insearchofcheese Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm down 50 lbs and it's only in the last two weeks that everyone at work has been stopping me to comment about my weight loss. It took 20 lbs lost for me to notice, but I also have 50 more lbs to go.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Really? I'm 5'5" and when I lost my first 10 pounds I noticed a definite difference in how I looked and how my clothes fit. Nobody else noticed, but it motivated me.