(Rant) Coworker thinks scales are evil

Options
OneHundredToLose
OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
edited September 2015 in Motivation and Support
Ugh. This is so aggravating to me. I have a coworker who I've mentioned my goals to, and she is of the opinion that weighing yourself is terrible, and that scales cause psychological damage / eating disorders. We just got in a minor argument because she said that she doesn't believe in weighing herself, but that she wants to lose a few pounds, and I said that a scale is a tool you use to gather data about the success of your diet / exercise, and that it'll be difficult to tell the difference between herself now and a few pounds lighter without one. She told me that "it's not even worth explaining to me because I wouldn't understand."

BTW, it's worth noting that she is not by any stretch of the imagination overweight. I, on the other hand, have been overweight all of my life. If anyone is going to understand supposed "psychological damage caused by weighing myself", it would be. And yet even I can see that a scale no more causes psychological damage than a spoon makes you fat.

Rant over. Just frustrating.

Replies

• dedvega
    dedvega Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ppl are ignorant for the most part, especially ones who have never had to be concerned about their weight. Don't let it frustrate you, just roll on!
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she's the one with pyschological damage. Sad.
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Let's face it - it's nearly impossible for someone to understand unless they've been in your shoes.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's projection. Agree to disagree. As long as she's not yanking your scale out of your hands, it's all good.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    It reminds me of gun control or guns in general. There are those that are for them and others against. If someone doesn't want a scale they are not required to get one but it is not their place to take yours away.
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    It just strikes me as incredibly crass for her to suggest that I couldn't possibly understand what it's like to be self-conscious about my weight. How can she possibly think that comes across as a rational, intelligent opinion to assert?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Did she actually say she wants to lose "a few pounds?" Because if she doesn't believe in scales that's an odd thing to say.

I agree that's she's obviously the one with the psychological issues regarding the scale. It's her issue, obviously, not yours. I am not one to let minor variations in the scale bother me, either, but I also don't believe that the scale is the best measurement of weight loss success. Long story short, if the scale bothers her, she shouldn't use one but it's not her call as to whether it's a good tool for you to use, not everyone has her issues. She also shouldn't be saying she wants to lose "pounds" if she doesn't like that as a method to measure success.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I am a little curious about why she would state she wants to lose a few "pounds". Pounds are a measurement, that a scale is used to measure. WIthout a scale, "pounds" are irrelvant. Size is not directly proportional to weight... Two women who weigh 150 pounds can wear clothing from size 0 to size 22 depending on height, muscle mass etc. Even two people the same height at 150 pounds can wear 4 sizes different if one is more muscular, or one is top heavy etc.

So if she wants to lose a few "pounds" how would she know that? If she starts lifting weights to do it, she may gain 5 pounds muscle and lose 5 pounds fat - so weight stays the size but she goes down a clothing size. I would guess she would then say she succeeded in losing "weight" since her size changed but she would be wrong.

I get she hates scales, but she is contradicting herself by saying she wants to lose a few "pounds". It would have been more consistent to say she wants to lose "inches" or "clothing size". Still have to measure that (tape measure or pair of jeans), but it wouldnt be with a scale.
  • OneHundredToLose
    edited September 2015
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Did she actually say she wants to lose "a few pounds?" Because if she doesn't believe in scales that's an odd thing to say.
    aylajane wrote: »
    I am a little curious about why she would state she wants to lose a few "pounds". Pounds are a measurement, that a scale is used to measure. WIthout a scale, "pounds" are irrelvant.

Yep, her exact words were: "I want to lose a few pounds too," followed by her telling me how bad scales are. When I asked her how she expected to know if she'd successfully lost the few pounds, she said: "I have a mirror."

What. the. *kitten*.

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    My mom does not believe in the scale at all, I always ask to weigh her the days that I do but Nop she refuses to do it, she says "oh I don't need a scale, I have my clothes and they talk to me!

I just wish I listened to my clothes talk to me too before :)

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    aylajane wrote: »
    I am a little curious about why she would state she wants to lose a few "pounds". Pounds are a measurement, that a scale is used to measure. WIthout a scale, "pounds" are irrelvant.

Yep, her exact words were: "I want to lose a few pounds too," followed by her telling me how bad scales are. When I asked her how she expected to know if she'd successfully lost the few pounds, she said: "I have a mirror."

What. the. *kitten*.
    Ha! She's obviously not someone you really want to continue to discuss your weight loss goals with. You'll only end up frustrated.
  • wg333
    wg333 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I guess she just misspoke then. She should have said that she wanted to lean out or lose a dress size. As previously mentioned its hard to know if you've lost a few pounds without using the scales to measure.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    My mom does not believe in the scale at all, I always ask to weigh her the days that I do but Nop she refuses to do it, she says "oh I don't need a scale, I have my clothes and they talk to me!

I just wish I listened to my clothes talk to me too before :)

Clothes are such a terrible guide, and the more overweight you are, all the worse of guide is clothing. Some of my plus size clothes could easily accommodate a 30 lb change in weight. :o

Anyway, I love the whole psychological damage line about the scale. That people freely admit to being so mentally fragile that they can't handle the truth. And infer from that that it's the scale that's bad. I would be humiliated advertising such an unstable mentality to the people around me.

• nicjbar73
    nicjbar73 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    quite possibly she has come from a background that does involve a eating disorder. i know that u can become addicted to what a scale says( multiple times a day) if that is the case then during treatment she might have been told to use the way her clothes fit as a measurement instead. yes its psychological,yes id steer clear of a discussion about weight with her.everyone needs to use what works for them;)
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Yeah she probably has or had psychological damage from the scale. Hence her not wanting to use it...which is completely okay and it works for her...however, her trying to project her experience on to you is not okay. A lot of people can use a scale without damaging themselves psychologically. I just would avoid weight loss convos with her, sounds like more stress than it's worth. However, maybe she was genuinely trying to help as she or someone she knew had a bad experience.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    When I stop weighing weekly is when I start gaining weight. I can say "I'll go by how I feel, or how my clothes fit, or how I look", but when I don't see that # once a week, none of those other things even phase me. Last year, I went from 147 to 167, grew out of various pairs of pants and obviously looked bigger. None of it mattered. I really didn't care. Until I got on the scale and saw the damage. Then I cared. So, for me, scales are knowledge. Knowledge is power. And if I don't know I'm totally blind to it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Might as well get annoyed with every illogical person you meet. It might be healthier to allow that such people exist and as long as they don't interfere with your choices, you can ignore them.

I don't want illogical people deciding for instance, what foods will be served in schools, if vaccines should be banned, and so on. I'll squawk then.

I've noted that with societal trends, some foods are getting harder to find. Like Rice-a-roni, lemon jam and marshmallow cream. Gosh I feel old.
  • allyj128
    allyj128 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    Yeah she probably has or had psychological damage from the scale. Hence her not wanting to use it...which is completely okay and it works for her...however, her trying to project her experience on to you is not okay. A lot of people can use a scale without damaging themselves psychologically. I just would avoid weight loss convos with her, sounds like more stress than it's worth. However, maybe she was genuinely trying to help as she or someone she knew had a bad experience.

This response is perfect.

Some people have had really negative relationships with their scales and perhaps she was trying to (poorly) impart some her struggle with the scale to you. I have a very toxic relationship with my scale and only get on it rarely, despite working to lose weight AND pounds AND have done it successfully. I get your [OP] frustration, but walking a mile in another's shoes is also important.
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    allyj128 wrote: »
    Kimo159 wrote: »

This response is perfect.

Some people have had really negative relationships with their scales and perhaps she was trying to (poorly) impart some her struggle with the scale to you. I have a very toxic relationship with my scale and only get on it rarely, despite working to lose weight AND pounds AND have done it successfully. I get your [OP] frustration, but walking a mile in another's shoes is also important.

It wasn't the fact that she thinks scales are bad that bugged me...it was her "you wouldn't understand" comment. That came off as very asinine to me. How can she assume I wouldn't understand what it's like to view a scale negatively? I've avoided them most of my life.

• burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options

BTW, it's worth noting that she is not by any stretch of the imagination overweight. I, on the other hand, have been overweight all of my life. If anyone is going to understand supposed "psychological damage caused by weighing myself", it would be. And yet even I can see that a scale no more causes psychological damage than a spoon makes you fat.

Rant over. Just frustrating.[/quote]

Possibly her mother was frightened by scales when she was carrying your workmate ((; NO ? Maybe not.
    Remember she is seeing herself through her self image , not yours. She says she wants to lose a couple of pounds , but without scales that would be hard to accomplish .
    She probably sees you and "your scales" as a challenge for her to do something and she doesn't want to bother.
    At my previous workplace I used to see the same few people at the scales now and again . We were all pretty lean at the time.
    Heavy people or ANTI exercise/workout people seemed to avoid them. One ,scale friendly, lady remarked that ' You know, the wrong people are always using these scales'

Is she also ANTI mirror ? Cause I know from experience, mirrors can show me lots of things I don't like to see.

The only person in the world you can really change is You. Let her worry about her.
    Best of luck.