Running Intervals or just run straight through?

Options
Hi:

I am doing my first half marathon in a few weeks. I have completed a 16K race without intervals. I've had a few people suggest to me that I should do the half marathon using 10/1 intervals. I tried a 6K this morning with intervals (3/1) and it was a lot easier and my time wasn't much different. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I ran my first HM straight through (3:00:09) and was running slower than I would normally walk by the end (and oh so sore). I ran my second one with a pacing group (2:48:09) using intervals where we would walk for a minute at every mile, and "leapfrog" big hills (running part way then walking). I made better time with those intervals because I was not dead tired at the end, and even sped up on some of those later miles. There will eventually come a point where you have the capacity to run all the way through at a faster pace than if you also include walking, but if you are not there then you can definitely benefit from this.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i think running straight thru would be best if your training is allowing you to do that. Otherwise, intervals are fine too. i like training with intervals up to the full time.
    honestly, it's what you are comfortable with. and what you want out of the race like @leonsinned said
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Run/Walk is a great stepping stone to running the whole distance. If you already are doing 16km then I'd go for it.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I struggle with this decision too because although running straight through is mentally easier, I find physically that my body responds better to intervals. But it is oh-so-hard to slow down to a walk when you're in the middle of a race and everyone starts passing you.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I tried a 6K this morning with intervals (3/1) and it was a lot easier and my time wasn't much different.

If Gallowaying works for you, and you want to use it, then use it. Entirely up to you. Personally for a flat(ish) rac I'd aim to run it all, though on my normal races I will walk on the steeper hills. That said I have found myself able to pass runners in that sort of situation.

When I transitioned from 5K to 10K I did try intervals, and found myself uncomfortable as each running period took me a couple of minutes to get back into a decent rhythm, so I ended up feeling uncomfortable for far more of my run that had I just gone straight through.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Gallowalking.

• chelciebrown07
    chelciebrown07 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I also prefer just running straight through. When I stop to walk I cool down and getting started again feels twice as hard.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm a believer you can run the whole thing!!! For me, part of the feeling of accomplishment is knowing I ran the whole thing. Plus, I'm with @chelciebrown07 - once I have to stop and walk, it's very very difficult to get started again and the soreness starts to set in.