Mackerel, good or bad?

Options
Hi all,
Mackerel, I just don't get it! When it is added to your daily diet the fats rocket up that are apparently good and bad. So, do you or don't you? Expert advice please, and I must mention I have raging LDL's that doc has advised me to deal with in my diet.
Thanks.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    SABA sushi is a MUST for me. So good.

And cholesterol intake has little to do with blood cholesterol levels.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it just because the only mackerel available where I live is canned. A friend once gave me a large hunk of fish about the size of a brisket that he said was mackerel. We threw it on the grill and I can say without a doubt that it was the best fish I've ever eaten. I'd definitely eat it again if I could get more.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I love it! It's very fatty/oily, but full of omega 3s... I like it with my eggs, weirdly.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    At home or at a restaurant: good
    In the office microwave: bad
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it just because the only mackerel available where I live is canned. A friend once gave me a large hunk of fish about the size of a brisket that he said was mackerel. We threw it on the grill and I can say without a doubt that it was the best fish I've ever eaten. I'd definitely eat it again if I could get more.

I'm not sure if there are various types of mackerel...but I come from a fishing community here in NS and if the piece of fish was as big as a brisket then it was not mackerel. I may be incorrect though if there are other types of this particular fish that I am not familiar with though.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I'm not sure if there are various types of mackerel...but I come from a fishing community here in NS and if the piece of fish was as big as a brisket then it was not mackerel. I may be incorrect though if there are other types of this particular fish that I am not familiar with though.

It may not have been. I had only what the guy told me to go on. It was very oily, which is why it was very good. IDK for sure what it was, other than delicious!
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I like mackerel but for me there are probably 20 seafood items I'll choose before it.
    That doesn't make it bad by any means.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Some mackerels are higher in mercury if that's something you might be worried about.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    IDK...is it holy mackerel?
  • Sean_TheITGuy
    Sean_TheITGuy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Around here people mostly use fresh mackerel to catch better fish. But for some reason you can also buy it canned.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Grrr.....get off my brain. I only came into this thread to say that. Now I'll just have to ramble on incoherently...
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    For the canned type, I prefer it to canned tuna. Canned mackerel is less fishy and has more flavor. It doesn't need as much mayo or additions to make it palatable. I usually drizzle it with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper for a sandwich. Just be sure to get boneless.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

It may not have been. I had only what the guy told me to go on. It was very oily, which is why it was very good. IDK for sure what it was, other than delicious!

Apparently there are various types of mackerel. And based on the descriptions here
    http://seafood.edf.org/mackerel
    If it was mackerel I ate it must have been king mackerel which isn't all that safe to eat.
  • petemy59
    petemy59 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In the UK mackerel is readily available in many forms and very cheap, we tend to eat it mostly smoked but also available fresh or peppered, unlikely to see it in restaurants since it is regarded as a 'cheap' fish. Thanks for all your comments and from the general consensus it would appear to do me more good than harm.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Beat me to it :(
  • 1919jd
    1919jd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do you or do don't you? - I do!

Smoked mackerel on toast with drizzle of lemon juice and cherry tomatoes yum yum <3
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its good and the oil is part of what makes it good.

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/superfoods/pages/is-oily-fish-a-superfood.aspx
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I love canned mackerel on a hot steaming serving of white sticky rice with a dash of soy sauce and lemon.