Has Anyone Tried Raw Eggs In Their Smoothies ?

Options
Tried it today with some local eggs. Surprisingly creamy, especially since I've been trying to remember to add pudding mix because the protein whey I have has no artificial sugar.

Can't drink it alone, because it makes me gag / retch.

Replies

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Tried it today with some local eggs. Surprisingly creamy, especially since I've been trying to remember to add pudding mix because the protein whey I have has no artificial sugar.

I have not tried it in a smoothy but I did make a 'vintage cocktail' one time (can't remember the name) which called for a raw egg. It did add a fantastic creaminess to it and an awesome foam on the top.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

I have not tried it in a smoothy but I did make a 'vintage cocktail' one time (can't remember the name) which called for a raw egg. It did add a fantastic creaminess to it and an awesome foam on the top.

That would be a bourbon sour, one of my favorite drinks.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'd do it we still are dealing with a pretty big cull of chickens due to avian flu virus. If you must go for pasteurized.

https://batchgeo.com/map/2015-avian-influenza-outbreaks
  • myheartsabattleground
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'd do it we still are dealing with a pretty big cull of chickens due to avian flu virus. If you must go for pasteurized.

https://batchgeo.com/map/2015-avian-influenza-outbreaks

My state isn't on the map. Thank Gosh.
  • abetterluke
    Options

Nope I actually looked it up. It's called a Clover Club Cocktail. Basically gin and grenadine and raw egg. I think there was lemon and some sugar of some sort as well. It was like a year or so ago so I can't remember the entire thing. Great drink though.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I've thought of it since I have a flock.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

Nope I actually looked it up. It's called a Clover Club Cocktail. Basically gin and grenadine and raw egg. I think there was lemon and some sugar of some sort as well. It was like a year or so ago so I can't remember the entire thing. Great drink though.

It's also done in a bourbon sour.
  • abetterluke
    Options

It's also done in a bourbon sour.

I love bourbon so I may need to try that one.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I used to add raw eggs to my smoothies for extra protein, until I found out that our bodies can't utilise unpasteurised egg white protein properly.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Technically is not "safe" but is "safer" if the raw eggs are pasturized (liquid eggs).
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I used to add raw eggs to my smoothies for extra protein, until I found out that our bodies can't utilise unpasteurised egg white protein properly.

You will just absorb less. I think when the egg is cooked you absorb almost 100% of the protein. If raw, I think you absorb about 60% of the protein. So you still get extra protein, just not the full amount. But if you're doing it because you like the creaminess and taste, then think of it as a little protein icing on the smoothie cake.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

You will just absorb less. I think when the egg is cooked you absorb almost 100% of the protein. If raw, I think you absorb about 60% of the protein. So you still get extra protein, just not the full amount. But if you're doing it because you like the creaminess and taste, then think of it as a little protein icing on the smoothie cake.

Oh ok thanks, that's good to know.