Have Fibromyaliga & CFS

Options
Wanting to loose about 50 to 60 pounds. I wish I could do more exercise but with my illness it is not possible . I am walking 1 to 2 miles a day some days just one others 2 depending on my pain level. I am sticking to my calorie intake 1200 a day. Any other ideas on what I can do? I am 30 days in and have lost just under 10 pounds.
Thanks!

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Well done, you are doing an incredible job!
    I never managed to lose weight while in the throes of cfs & fm. I really admire your resolve.
    I have no suggestions, it sounds like you're doing awesome to me.
  • DebFromFortWorth
    DebFromFortWorth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    :) Thanks, I am really trying..
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I've got lupus. 10 lbs/mo is really aggressive with an autoimmune disease. I had to scale to 5lbs/ month to make it sustainable.

I started in November 2014 at 270 lbs. I had myocarditis from the lupus and could barely stay awake a few hours a day. Exercise was out of the question, so I cut my calories. I dropped to 256 by January.

In January, I started a new treatment plan and began to improve. I made little goals; cook, wash dishes, vacuum, do laundry. These things were very hard. Then in March I started to add walking. At first I only went 1/8 mi three times a week! Slowly as my heart healed and I got more energy I increased it. I now walk my dogs on two walks of 25-30 minutes every day, longer in weekends. I started using my phone as a pedometer at the end of May. In August I've managed to average 11,000+ steps daily ; unimaginable in March.

I have to remember every day that even though I could do something yesterday, I may not be able to do it today. I may have no energy at all ; and if I push through that, because I have lupus, I need to listen to my body on those days. This seems to be working though, constantly making myself be as active as I can tolerate, while letting up when I feel fatigue.

Today, I weighed 220 lbs. My goal is 180. If it takes me another year, I'm OK with that.
  • DebFromFortWorth
    Options
    Wow, that's great! I admit I overdid in the start, I actually started making changes in my diet before I found MFP & this has helped me stick to those changes. I do have days where I drag myself out to walk . My husband walks with me even though he doesn't need to loose a ounce. Support seems to be key..
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    CFS & Fibro here, too. I love using MFP because I can lose weight without a high level of activity. It does get discouraging sometimes, partly because I was formerly very athletic and now that I am slimming down, my mind wants my body to go, go, go but my body won't cooperate. In my dreams (literally), I run, bike, and ski, but in reality, it's a struggle sometimes just to do household chores and not be wiped out. I cherish those days when my energy level is high enough to do a decent gym workout or short walk. Eating healthier and slimming down has definitely helped my mindset as well as my recovery from those energy crashes we get, as well as enabling me to strengthen my body somewhat. I think having CFS/FM makes it easier to do a program like MFP, because I am accustomed to planning for the pain and planning for the crashes, so planning out a nutrition program is a breeze, lol! Wishing you all the best.
  • DebFromFortWorth
    Options
    I dream I can run, But awake no way! My pain level has been bad today, I push to walk my mile every morning & most evenings 1/2 mile. MFP makes it easy to watch my food & it's easy to stick to..
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Just do what you can when you can. It is a wonderful advantage to know your outer limits with the illness, but....It isn't easy as my "line in the sand" moves back and forth without warning and over-doing it can then become something you look back on wryly from bed....

My issues are Chronic pain (Lupus with heart and kidney involvement, RSD, Fibro, CFS, Osteoporosis...) and are such difficult beasts to understand....the waxing and waning. Before the Lupus asserted itself and I was really 'just' dealing with the RSD/Fibro' pain, I did find that increasing my exercise incrementally to be really helpful, in all sorts of ways....not only with pain but also with the debilitating exhaustion. My increasing fitness lead to decreasing fatigue and pain....in general.

There are some really interesting and informative sites to Google.....Pacing yourself is VERY important. For weight loss realise that your diet ie CI-CO is the number 1 concern.....exercise is for your health.

For what my experience is worth and I have lived with these conditions since 1997 (Lupus since 2012) gentle cardio in the form of walking can often be tolerated well....don't forget strength training (you don't have to be lifting HEAVY) start with weights that give 'your' muscles a workout and build up from there, body weight exercises can come in very useful here too as long as you don't find they inflame the joints.....make sure you get in stretching as this can soothe the muscles. I have heard wonderful things about Pilates and have used some techniques myself to great benefit.

All the best to everyone.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I've got lupus. 10 lbs/mo is really aggressive with an autoimmune disease. I had to scale to 5lbs/ month to make it sustainable.

I started in November 2014 at 270 lbs. I had myocarditis from the lupus and could barely stay awake a few hours a day. Exercise was out of the question, so I cut my calories. I dropped to 256 by January.

In January, I started a new treatment plan and began to improve. I made little goals; cook, wash dishes, vacuum, do laundry. These things were very hard. Then in March I started to add walking. At first I only went 1/8 mi three times a week! Slowly as my heart healed and I got more energy I increased it. I now walk my dogs on two walks of 25-30 minutes every day, longer in weekends. I started using my phone as a pedometer at the end of May. In August I've managed to average 11,000+ steps daily ; unimaginable in March.

I have to remember every day that even though I could do something yesterday, I may not be able to do it today. I may have no energy at all ; and if I push through that, because I have lupus, I need to listen to my body on those days. This seems to be working though, constantly making myself be as active as I can tolerate, while letting up when I feel fatigue.

Today, I weighed 220 lbs. My goal is 180. If it takes me another year, I'm OK with that.

This is incredible. You are incredible.

I love reading experiences like this.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    FYI, there is a FM group here on MFP. Although I was diagnosed with FM about 20 years, it isn't nearly as bad as some people's. The main prob I seem to experience now is if I work out too hard, and I usu work out in morn, I totally crash the rest of the day and am good for nothing. I am ok during the workout and it is hard for me tell if I'm overdoing it or not, it's just afterwards that I crash. Nutrition etc is ok. When I first started working out 15 months ago, this would happen with even a 30 min session. Now those are ok and most 45 min are ok, but if I do a 60 min circuit class, which IS intense, I still have a hard time recovering. I am just holding out hope that I will be able to tolerate that level soon too. The good news is, 105 pounds lost in 15 months.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Wanting to loose about 50 to 60 pounds. I wish I could do more exercise but with my illness it is not possible . I am walking 1 to 2 miles a day some days just one others 2 depending on my pain level. I am sticking to my calorie intake 1200 a day. Any other ideas on what I can do? I am 30 days in and have lost just under 10 pounds.
    Thanks!

You're doing great! Keep up the good work! Maybe add some gentle yoga to the mix.
  • DebFromFortWorth
    Options
    Today I didn't walk, I feel bad I didn't but I am just having too much pain to get out there.. After a hour of grocery shopping & doing some other stuff I am too worn out.. Will try to at least get in a 1/2 mile this evening. So good to know there are others here with Fibro, CFS & other chronic illnesses. I don't feel so alone :)
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    @debmike1974 try really hard to not feel 'bad' about not be able to get your walk in today.

Pacing yourself is probably the cornerstone of managing even getter better to whatever degree you are able from these sorts of debilitating illnesses. Remember that the mind and body are intertwined.....ie feeling negatively towards yourself will only cause you stress. Stress increases your cortisol levels and other bad stuff (Highly scientific description I know :p ) and in turn this will impact your pain levels and muscle tension.

You have done fabulously.....grocery shopping always leaves me knackered.

All the best K Ps. Glad you don't feel so alone....the loneliness side of illness sucks. :'(
  • DebFromFortWorth
    Options
    I am happy to report I got my walk in this evening.. I rested a lot today after shopping & felt good so I walked.. A good rest is always helpful with Fibro .. My body knows it has Fibro & CFS but my brain seems to forget part of the time. you would think that after 20+ years it would accept it.. :)