If women can't bulk up, why the difference in reps?

Options
I'm not trying to be obnoxious, this just occurred to me so I thought I'd ask. I know that women can't bulk up like men by lifting weights, but I also know that people say to max out at 8-10 reps for muscle building and 12-15 reps for toning. If women can't bulk up, then why is there a difference in reps?

Thanks!

Replies

• ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Interesting question - bump.
  • christadoud
    christadoud Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think the standard answer to this question is the lighter the weight, the more repitions you do and you acheive a leaner look. If you are going for bulk, you go for a higher weight and less repitions.

That being said, I disagree with the convention that women can't bulk up- I have seen bulked up women and have looked bulky from lifting weights- the key, I think (I am not an expert!!) is that you have to cut the fat out of the diet to acheive a lean look with weights. I also find it confusing that women are oftentimes encouraged to lift as much weight as they can when they are trying to acheive a lean look rather than gain muscle mass. There is a lot of conflicting info out there and I am sorry if I raised more questions than answers !!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I think the standard answer to this question is the lighter the weight, the more repitions you do and you acheive a leaner look. If you are going for bulk, you go for a higher weight and less repitions.

That being said, I disagree with the convention that women can't bulk up- I have seen bulked up women and have looked bulky from lifting weights- the key, I think (I am not an expert!!) is that you have to cut the fat out of the diet to acheive a lean look with weights. I also find it confusing that women are oftentimes encouraged to lift as much weight as they can when they are trying to acheive a lean look rather than gain muscle mass. There is a lot of conflicting info out there and I am sorry if I raised more questions than answers !!

I agree.

OP check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Its about $9 used on Amazon.com Its a very good read. The authors really explain lifting for women and how it shouldn't differ from men. It also gives info of nutrition and a strength training regimen.