How can I stop getting extra calorie allowance on MFP diary for exercising?

Options
Hi.. I have my fitbit connected to MFP, and my diary is always allowing me way extra calories to eat... I would like to disable this feature.. Does anyone know how to do this? Thank you.

Replies

• supershaz12
    supershaz12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I only know that if you sign up for MFP premium you can select it *not* to add the extra calories from exercises into your allowance.

If you are using MFP basic you could record 5 mins of exercise instead of 50 whilst mentally knowing you did more .....with little effect on your daily calorie allowances -- you could deliberately under record the amount of exercise.

However if MFP is picking up all the data about your workouts from FitBit .....I think there is no way you can alter this than by becoming an MFP premium member.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Either disconnect your accounts, or pay for MFP Premium.

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. Your default MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. Adjustments are the difference between your Fitbit burn and your MFP activity level (sedentary, lightly active, etc.).

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, your adjusted goal is TDEE minus deficit.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • trashpot
    trashpot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Go to goals
    Fitness goals
    Exercise calories TURN THUS OFF
  • trashpot
    trashpot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The above is done on Mfp
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Just put it in the text notes to log it but don't put it in the area that adds carbs
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    How many extra calories? What is your activity level set at and how many steps are you getting?

When I first got my FitBit I was set at sedentary on MFP and I would get really big adjustments. I started paying attention, asked questions in the FitBit user group linked above, and realized that averaging 10,000 steps is not sedentary, and so when I adjusted my activity level it gave me a higher baseline calorie goal and smaller adjustments but is more appropriate and easier to plan around. With extra effort, I get around 14k, so I changed my activity level to active, and my adjustments only come when I truly exercise.
  • RebeccaWilliams115
    Options
    I think it's BS we have to pay.... Thank you for the advice!
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    How many extra calories? What is your activity level set at and how many steps are you getting?

When I first got my FitBit I was set at sedentary on MFP and I would get really big adjustments. I started paying attention, asked questions in the FitBit user group linked above, and realized that averaging 10,000 steps is not sedentary, and so when I adjusted my activity level it gave me a higher baseline calorie goal and smaller adjustments but is more appropriate and easier to plan around. With extra effort, I get around 14k, so I changed my activity level to active, and my adjustments only come when I truly exercise.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Or go into steps (on your phone)and click on "don't count steps"
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I think it's BS we have to pay.

You don't have to pay. You can disconnect your accounts—which means you won't see your food in Fitbit or your TDEE in MFP. Or you can enable negative calorie adjustments and trust your Fitbit.

I was shocked at the size of my Fitbit adjustments, but I ate them back, lost the weight, and kept it off.