loss won't happen

Options
I am so tired of every days end telling me "if you keep this caloric intake you will weigh 185 in five weeks" (or something a couple of pounds either side of that). I have weighed ~197 for about 8 months.
There is no cheating on my entries, but my weight simply will not drop.
So why does the program keep telling me I should be about 10 lbs lighter in five weeks with that never happening?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Because you are eating more then you think. Do you use a food scale?

And have you changed your weight in your diary. As you lose weight you need less calories.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Sounds very frustrating.

Have you re entered your stats into MFP at the lower weight to see if your calorie intake is now too high?
    What's your weighing of foods like? Do you use digital kitchen scales and measure in grams?
    Are the entries you are using in the database non generic USDA entries?

As @queenliz99 has pointed out barring a new medical condition that you have not mentioned...you are eating more than you are burning.

Perhaps opening your diary would be something you could do to help us help you.....
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight, you are eating at maintenance. You need to have a look at the accuracy of your logging.
  • bernernewf
    bernernewf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? I'd request a full thyroid panel then focus on the free t3/free t4 and getting those numbers optimal. Free t3 is pretty much your metabolism, if it's not optimal, or too low, forget about losing even a pound. A broken thyroid will make it extremely difficult to lose weight. I no longer have one due to cancer.

Of course you may just need to do what the others suggested and make sure you're tracking properly.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    sstnero wrote: »
    I am so tired of every days end telling me "if you keep this caloric intake you will weigh 185 in five weeks" (or something a couple of pounds either side of that). I have weighed ~197 for about 8 months.
    There is no cheating on my entries, but my weight simply will not drop.
    So why does the program keep telling me I should be about 10 lbs lighter in five weeks with that never happening?

You've lost 41 pounds! Congratulations, and job well done!

You have only about 10 pounds to goal? Those last few pounds generally come off slower, but 8 months is certainly awhile.

As we get smaller, our caloric needs change. Have you allowed MFP to decrease your calorie goals with every ten pounds you've lost? That's very important.

Don't be too discouraged. As others have said, there could be some underestimating of calories in and/or overestimating of calories out.

A great link was provided upstream too.

You an do this, you know you can!
  • princess13340
    princess13340 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was reading your text aMD it was almost exactly what I was going to write! ! I too have not been able to lose any weight in 8 months. I am not cheating and have had my thyroid checked! I am pretty menopausal and feel hopeless.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    bernernewf wrote: »
    Have you had your thyroid checked? If it's not optimal, or too low, forget about losing even a pound. A broken thyroid will make it extremely difficult to lose weight.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost the weight just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn. I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

OP, open your diary for personalized advice. But it's human nature to underestimate your food & overestimate your burns. Have you seen this amazing flowchart? nnnaq5rggu08.jpg
  • Sportikis
    Sportikis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try reducing calories by 100 kcal and increase resistance training by adding another set or increase weight by 5 lbs on each dumbells weight for example. Make sure your getting 7-8 hrs of sleep every day. Don't give up!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if you are not losing weight, you are eating at maintenance. I just had to reduce mine, myself.

accurate logging and tracking and reduced calories should get things going again.....