Keep having to restart. Don't wanna restart again help

Options
I've been trying to lose weight for so long now. I keep starting and stopping and I'm so sick of it. I'm so sick of myself. Please let's all help each other keep on this track and FINALLY reach our goals. AND STAY THERE.

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as restarting. You are just picking up where you left off.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem in the past. When you are finally determined come hell or high water that you want to do this, you will. Most people on here have given it several tries. Forget about the past, and just dedicate yourself 100% to not quit this time around. You got this ;-)
  • Briannaisawesome1
    Options
    I really want it this time..
    My biggest problem is letting go of the past.
  • tumblindice
    tumblindice Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think this is my 9th try, perhaps 9 is my lucky number! I so want this to be it for me! Good Luck to all.
  • Briannaisawesome1
    Options
    Also, feel free to add me. Let's make sure we get it this time!! $
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight for so long now. I keep starting and stopping and I'm so sick of it. I'm so sick of myself. Please let's all help each other keep on this track and FINALLY reach our goals. AND STAY THERE.
    The issue here is lack of COMMITMENT. There's desire, want, etc., but that's not the same as commitment. Each successful client I've had had it. Those that failed, didn't. So are you willing to commit to it or just wing it and hope for the best?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Briannaisawesome1
    Options
    You are completely right there has been a lack of commitment. And I think I'm ready this time.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing for a decade or so. One thing that finally made a tremendous difference for me, was I quit trying so dang hard to lose weight. I took it slower. When I tried to do it fast, I was miserable. And I couldn't wait for my 'diet' to be over. And as soon as it was, I'd end up getting to work on gaining it all back because I had felt so deprived for so long.

It finally clicked for me, and I started making smaller changes I could live with. I didn't give up desserts or snacks, I just kept them within my very reasonable calorie goal. I've been on the wagon for 20 months, and I feel like I can do this forever.
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Maybe you need to start thinking about your weight loss in a different way? Because it sounds like your past approaches haven't worked that well.

I found that it helped to break my big goal (ie, stick to my diet, exercise daily, loose weight) into smaller goals. It's easy to 'fail' at a big goal - nobody sticks to their calorie deficit or exercise plan every day - and when you treat that big goal like an all-or-nothing endeavour, it makes sense that you'd feel like you're back on square one the second you deviate from it.

So break up that big goal into small, manageable bits. Focus on self-care, too, not just calories and exercise. Maybe something like this:

1) eat at/under my calorie goal.
    2) 1.5 hours cardio per week.
    3) 1.5 hours strength training per week.
    4) drink 8 glasses of water a day.
    5) eat 5 servings of vegetables a day.
    6) do 15mins of yoga each night before bed

...or whatever. This way, even if you do go over your calories, you can still be successful that day - you can work out, you can eat healthily, you can stay hydrated, you can help yourself relax and improve your sleep. Those things are arguably more important than how fast the number on the scale moves.

Commitment is most important. Nothing makes up for commitment, but you also need to be kind to yourself. Plan your new diet and lifestyle choices in a way that allows you to succeed :)
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    what has been said above. maybe look at HOW you're going to go about it this time. Every time I said "im going on a diet" I'd fail because I was hungry, miserable, tired and would end up bingeing. This time it's working but it is going REALLY SLOW and sometimes it's frustrating and annoying but the results are coming along and overall it's good. So look at HOW you're going to do it this time - what are you going to do? What exercise? How much will you eat? (please don't say 1200 - that's just a stupid number they put on here to get people to keep coming back after they bomb out 2 months into their diet...) WHAT will you eat? No need to go all paleo and what have you, but cutting out excess junk and changing things up to keep you more satisfied is not only good for weight loss but overall health.

You can do it!

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    A specific plan of action is definitely needed if you're committed. Especially when it comes to weekends where most people blow their hard earned work during the week. If I see anywhere that anyone could be more consistent with weight loss and reaching a goal, it's not by succumbing to weekend demises.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Nanoo2013
    Nanoo2013 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm right there with you! I think this is my 5th try! We can do it!!
  • lucysmommy2007
    lucysmommy2007 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    This is my 9th attempt too
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    It took me a few 'attempts' too and I worked out why - I wasn't ready for it before. I wanted to lose weight but I was too lazy to put in the work and find the willpower so I clearly didn't want it bad enough. As soon as it became important to me (genuinely important), I succeeded. You need to ask yourself just how much you want this and just how important reaching your goal is - does it mean more to you than over-eating for satisfaction? Those are some of the questions I asked myself and it really helped me get started.

Wishing you the best of luck. Don't think of this as 'starting again', think of it as committing. You can totally do it!
  • emily_fox
    emily_fox Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    For me, it helped take the pressure off knowing that I could basically eat what I want, as long as I eat at a deficit. Once you start thinking like this, the choices you make are a lot better because you don't want to waste calories on non-nutritious food. Plus I just got sick of that full feeling of over-eating, the heartburn, the fact that NONE of my clothes fit...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    only you can control you.....
  • carrieross733
    carrieross733 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    emily_fox wrote: »
    For me, it helped take the pressure off knowing that I could basically eat what I want, as long as I eat at a deficit. Once you start thinking like this, the choices you make are a lot better because you don't want to waste calories on non-nutritious food. Plus I just got sick of that full feeling of over-eating, the heartburn, the fact that NONE of my clothes fit...

^^^this says it ALL for me as well!

I have lost and gained weight so much and I'm just sick of it. I'm using my boys as my motivation this time...and this time I'm going to lose the weight and KEEP it off:) you got this!
  • BirdyWeirdy77
    BirdyWeirdy77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i have been struggling with the same issue for a long time, years in fact. Just keep trying, don't give up on yourself. I kept motivating myself, and kept working at it. What finally helped me was getting a dietitian. she was able to explain to me what I was doing wrong. and is able to wring my neck when i get off track, figuratively speaking lol... I was 407, and now I'm 362. Its a long journey but Its working!
    i have also had a lot of people cheering me on to loose the pounds
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The problem I see is in your mental approach. You are trying to lose weight. When your focus is all on losing weight, you aren't able to see the big picture because it is easy to focus on the immediate problem at hand.

Take a minute and imagine that you will never lose a single pound. How do you want to handle eating and exercising for the rest of your life?

For most of us, this losing weight phase is actually very short and temporary compared to the time you will need to invest maintaining a healthy lifestyle for the rest of your life. By putting all of your focus and energy into the process of losing weight, a lot of people (like over 95%) aren't making a plan for maintaining a healthy lifestyle for the rest of their lives. You need to have a realistic view of what kinds of sustainable changes you can make to improve your health and fitness. When you have this view, weight loss becomes a side effect of the changes you make rather than the focus. It is actually very liberating - you are no longer a slave to the tools of weight loss (scales, measurement, numbers) because you know that the weight loss will happen because of the changes you have made. There is no fear of regaining, because the changes you've made are a sustainable part of the way you live.

I'll link to a couple of articles I've read and enjoyed that explain the differences between the diet mentality and making sustainable changes that you can integrate into your lifestyle. I can also highly recommend the book The Beck Diet Solution to help you identify and overcome faulty thinking patterns you might have that might prevent you from achieving your goals.

If you only have time to read one of the articles, make sure it is the first one.

Stop Dieting and Start Living

Surprising Reason Behind Weight Gain: Diet Mentality

• Sarahgrace0228
    Sarahgrace0228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was this way for a long time. One day i just finally got fed up with not losing weight and told myself you aren't going to get the results you want if you continue to eat the food that's bad for you or don't get out and get movin. I tell this to myself as much as i have too.Sometimes several times a day. For me it also helped to gradually change my habits rather than all at once. Where theres a will theres a way. You can do it :smile: