ideas for healthy convenience meals for family?

Options
Hello,
I'll be having a baby in a couple months & will need the easiest meal ideas. I also hope to do some freezer soups & meals but even those require work to wash up pots and pans.
What are your very simplest convenience meals when you have NO time to cook?
All I've come up with is rotisserie chicken w prewashed veggies & fresh fruit...
Thanks for your help!

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any meals to cook that don't require some work, either chopping, prepping, cooking, or clean up, either now or when you eat it.

Are you saying you don't want something that involves all that stuff now, or after you have the baby?

If clean up is an issue, I would suggest using foil pans to freeze food in, making soups and storing them in large ziplock bags, using crock pot liners to mix everything in then seal those up with a twist tie and then inside a large Tupperware or ziplock bags.

When I was pregnant I went to one of those meal prep places where you pay a fee, spend about two hours going to different stations assembling meals, and walk out with 10 or so meals. It's not cheap, but you'll have a lot of stuff ready to go in a relatively short amount of time and they do all the chopping and clean up. That's probably your best bet for return on the least amount of work.
  • laurennicole_nikkiwikki
    Options
    Good Morning!

I recommend becoming best friends with a crock-pot/ slow cooker.

http://www.crock-pot.com/slowcooker-recipes#?tags=main dishes

Best of luck.
  • FitMomOK
    FitMomOK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I don't know of any meals to cook that don't require some work, either chopping, prepping, cooking, or clean up, either now or when you eat it.

Are you saying you don't want something that involves all that stuff now, or after you have the baby?

If clean up is an issue, I would suggest using foil pans to freeze food in, making soups and storing them in large ziplock bags, using crock pot liners to mix everything in then seal those up with a twist tie and then inside a large Tupperware or ziplock bags.

When I was pregnant I went to one of those meal prep places where you pay a fee, spend about two hours going to different stations assembling meals, and walk out with 10 or so meals. It's not cheap, but you'll have a lot of stuff ready to go in a relatively short amount of time and they do all the chopping and clean up. That's probably your best bet for return on the least amount of work.

I've thought about a meal prep place, so good to know you liked it. I might try it. Mostly I don't want the work later. :) Thanks!
  • FitMomOK
    Options
    Good Morning!

Best of luck.

I find the meals all start to feel the same -- what are your 3 fav meals you make in it? no recipes needed just the general idea! thanks!!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    sandwiches were a favorite, with simple side dishes like baby carrots or an apple. We did a lot of turkey and swiss, and grilled cheese with tomato soup.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    also, I would put 2 lbs of frozen chicken breasts in the crock with a little water (like an inch deep) and a packet of taco seasoning. In eight hours I would shred it with two forks, and serve it as taco filling/salad topping.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Mothers have been preparing meals with babies in the house since there were houses and babies. It's an adjustment, but not really all that hard.

Sandwiches are good. Soups, stews and chili are good for several meals. Stir fry is quick and easy and only dirties a knife and one pan. You can put frozen fish straight from the freezer to the oven to bake. Vegetables can be roasted in the oven at the same time. Steam in the bag vegetables are quick sides. Eggs cook up very quickly.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You can pretty much throw anything into a skillet and have a meal come out in just a few minutes with just one pan and spatula to put in the dishwasher. Some ideas:
    • rice (you can get pre-cooked or instant) with soy sauce, siracha, pre-cut/washed broccoli and an egg
    • chicken (either leftovers from your rotisserie or you can buy pre-cooked strips or you can roast thighs and then freeze them for later) with spinach and cherry/grape tomatoes with salt, pepper and olive oil and/or whatever spices & seasonings you like (you can use packets of ranch or taco seasoning). Salmon works well with this too.
    • ground beef with taco seasoning and serve over greens. use jarred salsa and light sour cream for dressing and you can crumbles corn chips over the top for crunch. you can also add canned black beans and corn to make this heartier.
    • bagged coleslaw mix (or broccoli slaw for added nutrients) stir fried with soy sauce and siracha with an egg or chicken
    • omelettes with egg beaters and whatever's in the fridge make a great dinner too

Really, the possibilities are endless. The key is to get foods that don't require prep (think pre-bagged, cut and washed veggies) and can all just get thrown in the pan together. Pre-cooked meats help with this too, since they just need warming. You'll pay a bit more for the cooked meats, but it will save you time. Veggie crumbles are a great sub for ground beef that just goes from freezer to pan warming--no mess.

Congratulations on your baby! :smile:
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    FitMomOK wrote: »

I've thought about a meal prep place, so good to know you liked it. I might try it. Mostly I don't want the work later. :) Thanks!

Is this your first baby?

To be honest, when I was home with my kids on maternity leave, I found I had plenty of time for cooking and stuff (maybe not a ton of surplus energy, but plenty of time when the baby was sleeping). It was when I went back to work and had to take kids to daycare, get myself to work, was nursing so I had to find time in my work day to pump, pick kids up from daycare, get home, then get food on the table, clean up, etc that I was really struggling.

It's a big adjustment, regardless of whether it is your first or your fifth, so I do think it is good you are trying to plan ahead.

• WinoGelato
    Options
    Good Morning!

Best of luck.

I find the meals all start to feel the same -- what are your 3 fav meals you make in it? no recipes needed just the general idea! thanks!!

I use my crock pot a ton, my favorites are:

Beef roast with carrots and potatoes (actually you are looking for convenience food - we really like the Bob Evans mashed potatoes that you can buy at the store, they are really tasty and don't even need gravy).

Salsa Chicken - someone else mentioned something similar. I put frozen chicken breasts in with some seasoning and either rotel or a jar of salsa (I like salsa verde), and then shred it and use it for enchilada fillings, burrito bowls, etc. I actually like making a LOT of this, we eat some of it the first night, then I freeze some of the shredded chicken, but then I also take about 1/3 of it and leave it in the crockpot in the fridge, and the next morning I add a quart of chicken broth, can of diced tomatoes, can of corn, can of black beans, extra seasoning - and turn the crockpot back on for the day and have tortilla soup the second night. So two nights of meals and I still haven't even had to clean the crockpot. :)

Italian Beef Sandwiches - beef roast with a packet of Good Season Italian Dressing mix, a beer, and a jar of pepperoncini peppers. Cook all day, shred and serve on hoagie rolls with provolone cheese.

Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches - frozen chicken breasts, packet of dry ranch dressing powder, half a bottle of Frank's Hot Sauce, and half a stick of butter. Shred and serve on Hawaiian Rolls.

Then the usual: chili (white and red), taco soup, etc.

• FitMomOK
    Options

Is this your first baby?

To be honest, when I was home with my kids on maternity leave, I found I had plenty of time for cooking and stuff (maybe not a ton of surplus energy, but plenty of time when the baby was sleeping). It was when I went back to work and had to take kids to daycare, get myself to work, was nursing so I had to find time in my work day to pump, pick kids up from daycare, get home, then get food on the table, clean up, etc that I was really struggling.

It's a big adjustment, regardless of whether it is your first or your fifth, so I do think it is good you are trying to plan ahead.
    This is my 4th. But life is much busier now than w the first! homework, school, homeschooling, etc. I'm already maxed out and just trying to think ahead so we're not eating junk. Thank you for your empathy & kind words. :)
  • FitMomOK
    Options
    You can pretty much throw anything into a skillet and have a meal come out in just a few minutes with just one pan and spatula to put in the dishwasher. Some ideas:
    • rice (you can get pre-cooked or instant) with soy sauce, siracha, pre-cut/washed broccoli and an egg
    • chicken (either leftovers from your rotisserie or you can buy pre-cooked strips or you can roast thighs and then freeze them for later) with spinach and cherry/grape tomatoes with salt, pepper and olive oil and/or whatever spices & seasonings you like (you can use packets of ranch or taco seasoning). Salmon works well with this too.
    • ground beef with taco seasoning and serve over greens. use jarred salsa and light sour cream for dressing and you can crumbles corn chips over the top for crunch. you can also add canned black beans and corn to make this heartier.
    • bagged coleslaw mix (or broccoli slaw for added nutrients) stir fried with soy sauce and siracha with an egg or chicken
    • omelettes with egg beaters and whatever's in the fridge make a great dinner too

Really, the possibilities are endless. The key is to get foods that don't require prep (think pre-bagged, cut and washed veggies) and can all just get thrown in the pan together. Pre-cooked meats help with this too, since they just need warming. You'll pay a bit more for the cooked meats, but it will save you time. Veggie crumbles are a great sub for ground beef that just goes from freezer to pan warming--no mess.

Congratulations on your baby! :smile:

awesome list, thank you!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm not going to have time to cook, I make pre-made meals and freeze them. Easy for me, I'm cooking for one, but you've got a sizeable family. Hard to stock up unless you dedicate some effort to it.

My super-quick/easy meals in a pinch are soups; pasta tossed with lots of veggies, cannelini beans, and enough goat cheese to make it creamy. Egg dishes like others have said. I like congee which is slow cooking but is little effort - you set it on the stove or in a crockpot and leave it be. Oatmeal - even rolled oats can be done in the microwave. Sandwiches. Otherwise, I'll buy frozen meals. There are good ones out there, but that gets expensive.
  • FitMomOK
    Options
    Thank you all- really good ideas! i have a list now and am inspired to get cookin!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Stir fry is nice, easy and quick! We get the already cut up chicken breast, then pre-prepared stir fry veg.

Jacket potatoes and tuna is another favourite (obviously you can add whatever you like, doesn't have to be tuna).

Omelette and salad/veg

I sometimes buy the quick cook fresh pasta with chicken/pancetta etc in it, add tinned tomatoes, then grate some cheese for the kids, and make a salad.

We do a lot of chicken or fish with veggies too. We have frozen broccoli and peas, which I just microwave, as well as some carrots.

I have 3 kids, work 4 days a week, and my husband works shifts.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hello,
    I'll be having a baby in a couple months & will need the easiest meal ideas. I also hope to do some freezer soups & meals but even those require work to wash up pots and pans.
    What are your very simplest convenience meals when you have NO time to cook?
    All I've come up with is rotisserie chicken w prewashed veggies & fresh fruit...
    Thanks for your help!

- Pasta. Add some vegetables, sauce, cheese etc if you have time. If not, just plain pasta is fine and kids usually love it.
    - Grilled cheese sandwiches. Add a cup of milk, or some vegetables, and you can even feel happy for feeding the kids something relatively healthy and balanced in just 3 minutes :)
    - Omelettes
    - Stir fries
    - Rice with vegetables
    - Soup. Vegetables, small pasta or rice and you have a meal
    - I always have things like fish fingers or frozen meatballs etc for emergencies. Not winning any healthy dinner awards, but it is useful in case of emergencies and still probably more nutritious than e.g. ordering a pizza
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! When are you due (if you don't mind me asking). I'm due with #9 in December, and I understand thinking ahead and wanting to make everything smooth as possible. I have some kids homeschooling and some in parochial school. It's tough getting used to a new routine after the baby, but you WILL survive. You're a pro at this by now! ;)

I plan to double up on cooking some nights and freeze extra meals. You could use disposable containers and dishes (foil roasting pans) to reheat even soups in the oven. Maybe you have at least one kid old enough to help with dishes a bit if that is a concern. That's mainly what I've done in the past. We are blessed now to have a chest freezer and I have one teen that enjoys cooking.

You're going to do great. :)
  • FitMomOK
    Options
    Congratulations! When are you due (if you don't mind me asking). I'm due with #9 in December, and I understand thinking ahead and wanting to make everything smooth as possible. I have some kids homeschooling and some in parochial school. It's tough getting used to a new routine after the baby, but you WILL survive. You're a pro at this by now! ;)

I plan to double up on cooking some nights and freeze extra meals. You could use disposable containers and dishes (foil roasting pans) to reheat even soups in the oven. Maybe you have at least one kid old enough to help with dishes a bit if that is a concern. That's mainly what I've done in the past. We are blessed now to have a chest freezer and I have one teen that enjoys cooking.

You're going to do great. :)

Oh thank you! You are a pro for sure too and somehow my friends with 7&8 kids are still alive so that's encouraging!
    I'm due early Nov 3rd. Congrats to you too!
    I like the idea of having the kids help more. I was thinking about that yesterday, at least train them in taking stuff out of the freezer, thawing under hot water, heating up in a pan etc.
    I have a kid written down to help one time each week so i just need to remember to do it!
    Thank you!!
  • runwithtoppa
    runwithtoppa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just invested in a 3 tier food steamer. I put salmon on the bottom, broccoli in the centre and rice at the top.
    All I have to do is put the food in and let it steam away. Very little prep and minimal washing up.
    This is my go to meal when I am pushed for time, and I want something healthy, simple and tasty. Kids love it too, so that's a bonus.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    One way to cut down on the work of preparing meals for the family is to insist that the other adult who is eating that food does his half of the work. I wasn't informed enough to insist on that when my own daughters were infants, but I've wised up in the years since. My BF and I cook together on the weekends and split up the food to his house and mine. We drink a little wine, put on some music and make about two week's worth of meals.