How do I cut down my sodium?

Options
I've been over my sodium goal every day this week. I'm not sure how to stop going over. I've tried not eating things like soup but I still go over. Generally I'm a lot more focused on meeting my calorie/protein/carbohydrate goal. Sodium is hard for me. What do you do?

Replies

• krisfrantzen
    krisfrantzen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Depends what you are eating totally. I have high blood pressure and I watch it like crazy. I am usually under. I make a lot of decisions based on sodium content. I may choose different things when grocery shopping due to this.

It all depends if you eat a lot of prepackaged stuff. While it may be good on all the other stuff, it will most likely have a lot of sodium.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    MFP has the default sodium set quite low. Do you have a health reason for watching sodium? Generally, unless you have an issue that requires keeping it low, you are fine with a higher intake.

To reduce, the best way is really to cook from scratch so you control it. Pre made foods tend to be higher in sodium.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Cut down on processed foods, they are loaded with it.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see what you are eating. We can't advise on what to cut without knowing what you eat currently.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Personally, I ignore sodium.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've been cutting back on sodium recently( (recommended by dr. to prevent high blood pressure in pregnancy). The easiest things to put in place I have found are: stop adding salt to foods I'm cooking and replace that with no sodium seasonings (fresh herbs, mrs. dash, nutritional yeast etc) Also, when buying packaged goods like soups, broths, beans, ketchup etc. purchase the reduced or low sodium varieties. Label reading is important when trying to cut back on sodium.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    halips wrote: »
    I've been cutting back on sodium recently( (recommended by dr. to prevent high blood pressure in pregnancy). The easiest things to put in place I have found are: stop adding salt to foods I'm cooking and replace that with no sodium seasonings (fresh herbs, mrs. dash, nutritional yeast etc) Also, when buying packaged goods like soups, broths, beans, ketchup etc. purchase the reduced or low sodium varieties. Label reading is important when trying to cut back on sodium.
    This - avoiding processed food and cooking your own meals is key to lowering sodium.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Eat fresh fruits veggies some dairy and lean meat. Stay away from refined processed junk foods