Depression, Anxiety, & weight problems

Options
2»

Replies

• JackiSto
    JackiSto Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ah! I was just going to post something about dealing with weight issues in addition to anxiety and depression! Both have been a constant with varying levels of severity for me for 15 years. I've been struggling with a more severe bout lately and was just prescribed a new med thus morning. It can be so difficult to get stuck in this spiral of self-hatred and despair about weight that only drives the bad lifestyle choices that contribute to being overweight. I welcome friend requests from anyone who also deals with these issues - it can be hard to relate to people who are on a more "normal" emotional plane and is nice to see encouragement and examples in healthy eating and exercise being set by people in the same boat!
  • jla2983
    jla2983 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm so glad I am not the only one who suffers from anxiety/panic attacks! I am struggling right now with weightloss and having additional issues makes it even more difficult. I enjoy reading everyone's posts on how they have managed their anxiety/depression, etc and look forward to trying new things to manage mine.
  • stewynb
    stewynb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow so many stories! I thought I was alone with this. I too have been put on antidepressants. In my opinion logging your food is so important. Don't worry about what types of food you eat, just stay in your target. And exercise! Run, swim, jump, anything. Its so good for your mood not just your weight! Good luck in your journey.
  • richellechouinard
    richellechouinard Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes, exercise is so important also-even just a walk around the block is helpful. I am terrible with this though- I don't want to leave my house and go out in public most of the time, but I recognize that I need to give myself a little kick in the butt to do it. It can turn a day around for the better.
  • maryleahy11
    maryleahy11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    JenD1066 wrote: »
    Yes. I suffer from both anxiety and depression and I am an emotional eater. In the year I've been on here, I have lost 50 pounds. Posting everything (both food and exercise) helped more than I can express. I've made some good friends, and logging is motivational as hell. (Do I really want the fried pickles with ranch dressing? Does it fit my macros? Do I want to admit eating that?)
    I've managed to stick to my diet & exercise plan, even through my mom's cancer and eventual demise over the holiday season. I know for a fact that without the support of my friends, and the catharsis of having a judgement free place to vent, I would have buried myself in carbs covered in dairy. Instead, I posted here, and developed a serious relationship with my treadmill.

I'm sorry about your Mom. My Mom has had bladder cancer removed twice now. Scares me to death. I'm so not ready to lose her! I'd love your advice about diet/exercise. I'll send a request
  • akgeenaminto
    akgeenaminto Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've a traumatic brain injury which has side effects of depression, anxiety with thyroid problems etc etc. I find low carb and excersize is good meds.
  • maryleahy11
    maryleahy11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    DoctahJenn wrote: »
    I don't have a lot to add that other haven't, but I've had major recurring depression since I was 11. Over the years I've been on just about every antidepressant out there, and hated what they did to me.

Finally after a suicide attempt from a medication now listed as an allergy to me, my doctor suggested I try some natural remedies - vitamin D in the form of sunshine, plenty of exercise, and healthy eating. Since I wanted to lose weight anyway, I went with it.

And you know what? I've been off medication for over a year now, and I'm doing well. TOM brings a few days of depression, but I make sure I plan to get in some quality gym time and my husband takes care of our daughter so I can get plenty of sleep. I feel better these days than I have in years, and I never would have thought it possible. I always thought I was doomed to suffer forever, or become a zombie on medications. I didn't believe a healthy lifestyle could really change anything... but it did. For me, anyway.

I'm not perfect. I have bad days. But I'm worlds better than I used to be, and if this lifestyle keeps me off the medications... I'll do this forever.

What is "TOM" that brings depression?
  • rachelwindon
    rachelwindon Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    DoctahJenn wrote: »
    I don't have a lot to add that other haven't, but I've had major recurring depression since I was 11. Over the years I've been on just about every antidepressant out there, and hated what they did to me.

Finally after a suicide attempt from a medication now listed as an allergy to me, my doctor suggested I try some natural remedies - vitamin D in the form of sunshine, plenty of exercise, and healthy eating. Since I wanted to lose weight anyway, I went with it.

And you know what? I've been off medication for over a year now, and I'm doing well. TOM brings a few days of depression, but I make sure I plan to get in some quality gym time and my husband takes care of our daughter so I can get plenty of sleep. I feel better these days than I have in years, and I never would have thought it possible. I always thought I was doomed to suffer forever, or become a zombie on medications. I didn't believe a healthy lifestyle could really change anything... but it did. For me, anyway.

I'm not perfect. I have bad days. But I'm worlds better than I used to be, and if this lifestyle keeps me off the medications... I'll do this forever.

What is "TOM" that brings depression?

Time of the month ... lol

• sclause
    sclause Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Its been a serious struggle for me, being overweight all my life. I find now a mixture of healthy diet, exercise and antidepressants help me the best when combined. Alone, exercise or antidepressants do not really help my depression, its the combination that helps me.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I can relate OP- a year or so ago I had some major traumas hit me all at once and slid right into depression. I was on meds for a while to cope, but what really helped me was establishing a vigorous exercise habit. When I started exercising my doctors saw a lot of improvement and weaned me off of the medication. It is STILL a struggle some days, but exercise is the thing that is honestly my bedrock. I get up and I move for at least an hour every single day, because for me movement is medicine. Making better food and life choices has started to come out of that.
  • Godsmonty
    Godsmonty Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am going to try “Lose The Clutter, Lose the Weight” by Peter Walsh. Copyright (c) 2015 by Peter Walsh. By permission of Rodale Books. Available wherever books are sold.

I found it on abcnews.com I think.

I am a 46 yo SAHM of three small children and I have been pretty overwhelmed in the past. God has helped me move past some things and I still work on some things, like I am currently taking a Coping Skills class. That's very helpful - I kinda wonder why we don't learn some of it in school as children!

But I'm going to add the 6 week program I mentioned above, too! Lord help me! Lord help us all!

Let me know if you'd like to chat.
    Maria
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Yes. Anxiety/depression is more common than you might think but for me, there is no better anti-depressant out there than exercise. I'm also on daily medication but I would never use my 'issues' as an excuse to be overweight and unable to move how I'd like - to me, that would be adding to my problems (as I already discovered).

It'll certainly be a struggle, there's no doubt about that. But the energy and empowerment you'll feel when you drop lose that physical 'weight off your shoulders' does wonders for your self-esteem and happiness levels. I found that as well as dropping the pounds, I'd dropped a lot of tensions and unnecessary bad feelings from my life too.

Saying that, everyone's situation is different and I admire you for reaching out here. You are clearly determined to make some changes to your lifestyle and it sounds as though you are concerned about how your anxiety/depression will handle this added pressure. My advice? Just be kind and gentle with yourself. This is going to be gruelling at times but keep your mind healthy and make sure you focus on your reasons for doing this. Baby steps. Take one day at a time and don't doubt yourself.

Wishing you the best of luck.
  • Jztime
    Jztime Posts: 138 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Once I'd started having therapy for my depression (and other issues) the weight fell off me and today I am 15 stone less than I was at the start of it all. I'd been obese since I was a child. A friend of mine has anxiety and was an alcoholic (WAS) and I think what she has done is immense with the support system she used. I think as long as you acknowledge and try to tackle your issues it's a strong step in the right direction.

It's better to know and try to tackle it than to live blindly unaware as I did for almost 20 years.
  • emmagrace0818
    emmagrace0818 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have all of those as well, add me if you'd like some more motivation.. I know it's a tough road but we are fighters :)