Fat, morbidly obese woman in the weight room....

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    There are several morbidly obese women I see at the gym Most of them are doing work and I think that is great. 1 or 2 sit on the leg extension or good girl/bad girl machine doing nothing but looking at their phone for several minutes, do a couple light reps then go back to the phone. Those I think just go home, don't take up space here.
  • Palmeralex
    Palmeralex Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Every single person in the gym is there for a reason. If they were totally happy with their bodies and their health, they wouldn't be there.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    We used to have a really old, very heavy woman in our Zumba class. She came in every day pushing her walker and sat in a chair until it was time for class and then got up and did what ever she could. She was an inspiration!
    I think everyone is self conscious in the weight room, at least to start-I would not have any opinion other than a good one to see someone in there making an effort regardless of size.
  • scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I was the chubby woman in the weight room last year. Now I'm the lean, fit woman in the weight room. Worth any uncomfortable feelings to start.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    After I started going to Zumba, I swear more large women joined. It doesn't take much to reach the tipping point and more people are comfortable.

I figured out a long time ago that weight room rats are too busy checking out their own bodies to worry about anyone else's.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I happy seeing everyone working out at the gym - provided they arent drenched in perfume are lounging around just chatting while taking up the equipment I need to use.
  • erinmorgan
    erinmorgan Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I love seeing more women in the weight lifting area! When I first started I was totally intimidated by the ripped guys, now I walk over confident and focus on my workout. Get in there girl - you can totally rock it!!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    If she looked like a newb, I'd keep an eye on her to make sure she wasn't hurting herself, but I'd do that for pretty much anyone who looked new. Other than that, a smile and a nod -- the more folks pushing iron, the better.

OTOH, if she's warming up with my max, meh.
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    It depends, does she have a camel toe?

Yeah.. you'd like that

For reference > link.

OMFG That. Was. Hilarious.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy she was there. I was once that woman , now I'm the thin woman in the weight room. I'd think it was great !
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    As long as doesn't embarrass me, by bench more than I can. She's be welcome.
  • saritaloves
    saritaloves Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Whenever another woman comes into the weight room regardless of size/fitness/age, I do a silent little "yay!" cuz usually I'm like 1 of the 2 women in the room, and it's always sort of awkward being that one "little lady" with her 15 pound dumbbells.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Though I probably wouldn't notice as I keep to myself, if I did be like "hell yaaaa! Do it, girl!", because I love when women lift weights.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I would send a smile in her direction, continue my own workout, and secretly hoping she will continue to come to the gym, and start enjoying her workouts. Seriously, I do not care what size people are in the gym, unless they are of the larger size, in that case, I know exactly just how hard it is to get started, and I feel a bit proud on their behalf for taking that first step.
  • atiana19
    atiana19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would feel much respect for her and try to make a friend
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    After I started going to Zumba, I swear more large women joined. It doesn't take much to reach the tipping point and more people are comfortable.

I figured out a long time ago that weight room rats are too busy checking out their own bodies to worry about anyone else's.
    What you'd say? I can't hear you over this mirror...

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »

What you'd say? I can't hear you over this mirror...

Made me think of this:
    dzwc6ph8y5nu.jpg
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Head nod. Good to see other women in the weight room.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I always love seeing heavier people working out. It is inspiring and makes me happy to see that they are making an effort. It also boosts my confidence to get out there and do the same!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to see new people in the gym trying to better themselves. This goes for all fitness levels and body types.