Quest bar formula change

Options
I buy quite a few boxes and recently made a topic about inconsistency between boxes. I found why this was. Quest bar changed their fiber blend to soluble corn fiber instead of what they used before. Some of the bars have different nutritionals as well now. I have never gotten one of the new ones until now.

I assume the old ones will be in stores until they sell out and then they will all be new ones. I am VERY sad about this because they are not very good at all. The texture is a lot different and they have a weird taste to them. I was wondering if anyone else has tried the new formula and was wondering what you thought of it?

Replies

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I eat one a day. I buy at Trader Joes, have not noticed yet.
    Which flavor do you get? Trader Joes only has S'mores, Cookies and Cream, and Cookie Dough.
    Thank you for the heads up.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I just got more Cookie and Cream Quest bars today. I didn't notice any difference in the taste at all. I love that one along with Mint chocolate chunk and Double chocolate chunk. :)
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I noticed the change right away as soon as I unwrapped it. Went to the website for fear i was going to have an allergic reaction. They hadn't changed anything so I couldn't eat it but the cookies and creme is a very different taste. I prefer the chewy texture to that bar. I don't mind the lemon bars being the new formula. I guess it'll take some getting use to.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed yet. I wonder if my stores are still going through old boxes.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Oh I didnt know they changed the formula, but I did notice a change in the taste of my cookie dough bars at first. I've kept eating them tho and gotten used to it by now, but yeah I did notice something was slightly off.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    I just ate a double chocolate chunk yesterday. The only thing I noticed was how chocolaty it was:)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I recently read that they were investigating many reports that the bars were spiking insulin, confirmed by blood tests, and they were suspicious of the type of fiber they were using. This may be an attempt to correct that.....
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    More fiber
    Less carbs
    Less sugar

So all that bag on lower carb and less sugar should immediately stop eating Quest bars!

apfcj1aj4wrc.jpg
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Interesting. I recently read that they were investigating many reports that the bars were spiking insulin, confirmed by blood tests, and they were suspicious of the type of fiber they were using. This may be an attempt to correct that.....

Uh... what? Protein spikes insulin, dude. And Quest bars have a lot of that.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    spiking glucose probably, who has an insulin meter.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I used to be type 2 diabetic. I ate Quest bars before long term cardio or when traveling. There was minimal impact on glucometer tests.

Glucometer will pick up a spike in blood sugar.

Oddly enough, eating sugar will spike your blood sugar. Drinking a coke or cup of orange juice.

Not so much with protein.

A piece of steak does not impact a glucometer like a snickers bar.

Protein would not be a culprit of choice for a Quest bar creating a quick BG spike.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    spiking glucose probably, who has an insulin meter.
    This. Detecting insulin is - or was the last I heard of - pretty difficult to test for, at least in anything that would be portable.
    I've often wondered how this is supposed to happen. Is the glutamine in there getting converted into sugar rapidly? The resistant starch they use for fiber should take a while to breakdown via gut bacteria and enter the blood stream. Yet there are diabetics claiming their glucose spikes after eating one.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    they recently got sued for mismarketing the fiber in those things...this could be a response.

Still, what protein bar is better for nutrition and taste?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Of course it would be creating a slightly larger spike than with protein alone. Any diabetic knows half the fiber rounded up is to be counted as carbs, and Quest bars have a lot of fiber.
  • mom2nicknat
    mom2nicknat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My new box of White Chocolate Raspberry ones taste slightly different to me - but the cookie dough ones taste the same.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    It seems since they changed the ingredients, the bars almost have more structure to them in their wrapper. Almost like they won't melt or get all crushed and stuck to the wrapper as easily.
  • shoshanaassaraf
    Options
    I eat Quest bars as a cheat and use Victory Bars by Oh Yeah as a snack. They are healthier than Quest. PS I account 40% of all protein that will turn into carbs and 10% of all fats. I am a diabetic, Type 1.